Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Avid elixir help please
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Got these brakes 5 months ago and they have been great. Bled em last night as per instructions so confident that no air in system. Struggling to get them so that the pads retract far enough so they are not catching on the discs. Not too bad but a scraping sound 🙁

Ringo
    Free Member

Too much fluid in them let a bit out

doug_basqueMTB.com

Have you wound the pad adjuster back? Are you sure it’s back and not in? (Made that mistake a few times!)

Other than that it could be that the pad spacer wasn’t the right one and the pads weren’t spaced enough when you bled the system?

If it’s just a noise and not slowing the wheel much I’d just ride them and hope they ease off. I don’t like Avids, it’s a pity because I’ve got them on 2 bikes. They’re just fiddly and never work like I want them to.

coatesy
    Free Member

Also worth checking caliper alignment, needs to be perfectly square to the rotor in all planes, very easy to get “not quite right” and end up with rubbing brakes.

joiner
    Free Member

disc bent ?????

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Joined not both mate. How could they be over filled?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Pad spacer is correct one and no pad adjust just lever throw

racing_ralph
    Free Member

any ideas?

Scamper
    Free Member

I’ll be changing my rear avid pads tonight on my elixir brakes. I always find new pads are a really tight fit too, but bed in after a while as they are self adjusting. You have to be very aggressive on forcing the pistons back in – i use a flat screw driver on the old pads, and cleaning the pistons helps a bit.

Also try putting in an old credit card between pad and disc and squeezing brake a few times. This usually does the trick.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

not new pads – about a dozen rides old. Surely the credit card trick only works initially as when its removed and you brake then the pads adjust back out?

nosedive
    Free Member

might be worth checking the caliper alignment, easy to do with Avids with that so called tri mount thing (just a concave washer as far as I can tell)

Scamper
    Free Member

Yes to caliper alignment too. Credit card trick seems to work for me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Avid elixir help please’ is closed to new replies.