Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • avid elixir 5 sounds like a turkey!
  • pondyyfz
    Free Member

fitted some avid elixir 5. broke them in riding to work and back, all on rode, braking lightly so they didnt get to hot and warp the discs. after braking in they had loads of power, maybe even to much for the riding that i do.

used them off road today, was fine at the start of my ride but a few hours later on the way back to my car the rear started to get noisey, it sounds like a turkey gobble but only does it under light and medium braking, anything hard and it does not do it as the wheel locks up.
    have set up the caliper and pad gap correctly so leaves with thinking its either the pads or the discs? the discs are g3 clean sweep, 160mm f+r. i do have some g2 discs that are also new, they are 203mm front and 185mm rear which im going to try. when the brake is making this noisey the lever feels very notching, like the pad is catching in the holes in the disc as it goes over them?

any body have this issue before? manage to sort it?

sam

spock
    Free Member

Alot of similar issues with elixir brakes, don’t think there’s much of a definite answer to it! Someone i ride with changed discs, bled them, changed pads numerous times etc everything you could think of to no avail, he ended up buying a hope tech m4. The front one hasn’t had the same problem though….

yunki
    Free Member

broke them in riding to work and back, all on rode, braking lightly so they didnt get to hot and warp the discs

I’ve always understood that bedding in the pads requires a very high temp so I’ve always got ’em as hot as poss..

maybe try sanding the face of the pads back and bedding them in again..?

pondyyfz
    Free Member

same thing here, the front sounds fine, its just the rear.

if i broke the pads if wrong then i would expect the front to be having the same issue?

pondyyfz
    Free Member

looked on google and this is normal apparently, and its accually called a turkey gobble, i can see why. will try the larger discs and if it still dont cure it then i think i will sell these. shame as they work well but are embarising to ride with

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I have exactly the same issue with my elixir 5’s; front sounds fine, rear sounds awful.. Bugs the hell out of me! They are worse after hard use. Will probably sell them in te medium term and fit some shimanos

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘avid elixir 5 sounds like a turkey!’ is closed to new replies.