Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • AVID BB7 mountain
  • coylumbridge
    Free Member

I have a rockhopper with avid v-brakes. I am thinking of fitting discs instead and was thinking about AVID BB7 mechanical discs (I’m old fashioned and not keen on hydraulics). I have a few queries if you could help please:

1 I was thinking about 185mm front and 160mm rear – or should I go for 185mm both or what about 203mm ?
    2 How easy are they to fit (I’m fairly handy)if I buy them online – or should I get them fitted by a shop ?
    3 I have avid FR-5 levers – would they be OK or should I go for avid SD-7 levers instead ?
    4 Presumably the only other thing I need is a new set of cables as the current cables won’t be long enough ?

5 one last thing – the rockhopper has Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport tyres which I find don’t grip well esp on loose surfaces, rocks and mud – wondered what you thought – I’m thinking of changing them but not sure what to go for (maybe tioga which I have on my cape wrath which are chunkier albeit with more rolling resistance) ?

Hope you can help

Thanks

kiwijohn

1, 185mm/160mm will be fine
    2, very easy to fit.
    3, yours will be fine but SD’s let you fine tune the feel.
    4, yes. You do have disc hubs don’t you?
    5, can of worms. Try some Maxxis Monorails.

Lactic
    Free Member

SRAM have put a helpful video on youtube for how to fit and fettle BB7s

Hope this works

Personally though I’d get hydraulics, just as cheap, more reliable, more powerful and no constant fiddling to adjust for pad wear

pag
    Free Member

185/160 will be fine. They’re easy to set up but follow the instructions carefully for best performance. I think BB7s are great, work very well and you can fine-tune pad clearance to stop annoying squeaks and scrapes.

speaker2animals

I have BB7s on my SS. I think they’re pretty ace. What I like about mechanicals is you can adjust the bite point. Yes newer hyrdros do now but not at the cost level of BB7s. I find my Juicys on my bouncer annoying now as I can’t adjust the bite point/lever travel. The levers you have will be fine. Plenty of feel adjust as I stated above.

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

coylumbridge – I have a set of BB7s, still boxed and unused (bought them for a rebuild project that never happened), if you’re interested. Can’t remember the rotor sizes, but I’ll fish them out and check.

coylumbridge
    Free Member

🙂 Many thanks to all of you for your comments – very helpful – gives me the confidence to go ahead with the BB7s myself.

Trailbreak-Martin – think I’ll go with 185/160 or 185/185 – if you do find them, assuming they’re for mtb, I’d be interested in what size they are and how much you’re looking for them please ?

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

Right, they’re 160 & 185, unused and boxed – the furthest I ever got was fixing the rotors onto some new wheels that have also never been used.

Now the slight catch is that (due to availability of stock at the time I bought them), they are both front units. However, I checked before I ordered them and found out that the only difference is the mount, which is interchangeable. So I got hold of a mount for a 160 rear from an Ebay shop, which I will of course include (as well as the original 160 front mount) and which should set you up nicely. You might want to get independent confirmation that that will work; I’ve never fitted the brakes to a frame to confirm, but that was the advice I was given by several sources.

How does £80 inc. postage sound?

HTTP404
    Free Member

trailbreak – your advice is correct.
    they differ only by mount.

coylumbridge
    Free Member

Trailbreak-Martin – many thanks for going to the trouble of looking these out – however, I’ve found I can buy the 2009 versions new for £80 – £100 delivered online so plan to go with that instead.
    Thanks again

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘AVID BB7 mountain’ is closed to new replies.