Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • organic355
    Free Member

Watched it last night, and really enjoyed it al lot more than I was expecting after all the criticism it got.

Felt like this movie really showed what blu-ray was capable of and the images from my 200HZ TV and sound from my new B&W HT-30 sound-system were truly stunning.

Hopefully "UP" will be as good this evening.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Isn't it fabulous when you realise that all that hard-earned moolah has been spent on something that turns out to be better than you'd hoped? 😀

ski
    Free Member

organic355 – what did you pay for it, did you find a good price for it?

From what I heard they pretty muched filled the Blu-Ray disk with the movie & left little in extras.

grumm
    Free Member

Notice you don't really mention anything about how good the film is. 😉

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Pocohontas in space meets a David Attenborough extraterrestrial nature programme.

organic355
    Free Member

Think it was £15 off amazon, no dont think there are any additional features, but I never really watch them anyway.

Notice you don't really mention anything about how good the film is.

is was actually better than i had hoped, didnt think it went on too long at all, as some have criticized it for. Story wasnt bad either. Female lead character was cute too!! 😆

GrahamS

Blimey, she is a bit less blue than I remember!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Isn't it fabulous when you realise that all that hard-earned moolah has been spent on something that turns out to be better than you'd hoped?

Shh. I'm trying to watch Star Wars on VHS, on my Toshiba Blackstripe 14" CRT telly with the sound coming out of my Amstrad music centre….

zaskar
    Free Member

Wonder what the 3D tv will be like with Avatar!

organic355
    Free Member

I was just wondering, why does all the marketing material say "return" to Pandora?, is it assuming you've been there before and caught it at the cinema?

GrahamS

To be honest if you didn't see it at the cinema in IMAX 3D then you've missed out.

A home blueray setup will never match that IMHO.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Watching it on a plane really exposed how bad the plot is. It's the worst film i've seen in years.

organic355
    Free Member

It's the worst film i've seen in years.

That is a tad harsh, or you dont watch many movies? it isnt that bad!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

it isnt that bad!

It **** well is!

CHB

I love the film. Saw it twice at Bradford IMAX. An absolutely amazing experience. However, I wont be buying the DVD or Blueray as I know that even on a 42" LCD the film just wont compare to the total experience of 3D Imax.

ski
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

To be honest if you didn't see it at the cinema in IMAX 3D then you've missed out.

A home blueray setup will never match that IMHO.

Agreed, a home setup can never match IMAX, but as for a movie put onto Bluray, its one of the best conversions I have seen so far.

no dont think there are any additional features, but I never really watch them anyway.

Yep I think they have tried to max out the quality of the movie, which at the end of the day is all I want too.

bruk

Best quote about Avatar.

'I watched it in 1D, that's when you go to the cinema and close your eyes and listen to how bad the dialogue truly is' Radio 4 comedy 1/2 hour.

hels
    Free Member

Second best quote about Avatar.

"Dances With Smurfs".

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Nearly walked out of Avatar. Shite in my opinion.

GrahamS

The plot is well-worn pish, but what did you expect from something that is basically a kids movie?

The 3D and level of detail are pretty incredible though. That's what makes it worth watching.

_tom_
    Free Member

Rubbish film – outstanding vfx don't make a shit storyline good! Worth one watch in 3D but I'd never want to see it again.

Nick

Rubbish film – outstanding vfx don't make a shit storyline good!

No but it was an entertaining experience, wouldn't bother watching it again though.

It is basically Dances with Wolves (Smurfs 🙂 in Space, at least it doesn't have Kevin Costner in it.

Drac

Why would you expect a good plot and dialogue in simple or family Sci-fi, it's not meant to some masterpiece just pure entertainment with stunning effects.

I liked it for just that, I now have it in DVD digital copy for free thanks to a promotion.

stealfwayne

If you watched it in 3D then you got the best out of the film, any other format and you'll lose the best part of it. It was fantastic in 3D.

'From what I heard they pretty muched filled the Blu-Ray disk with the movie & left little in extras.'

I heard that they are releasing it near Xmas with the extra's on it then again next year in 3D for those of you who'll go and splash out on a new 3D TV to watch it

hels
    Free Member

Excuse me film buffs – but proper Sci Fi traditionally has some of the best plot and dialog. Avatar is not a Sci Fi film, and neither was Star Wars for that matter. Space Ships doesn't mean its Sci Fi. Google Asimov's definition.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I saw this in 3D in a Leicester Square cinema on quite the most successful date I'd been on in a decade, really enjoyed it. It's not great cinema, and I never need see it again, but it was definitely entertaining. I'd hate to be too cynical to enjoy something that so much care, time and effort had gone into just because it isn't very clever. 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Space Ships doesn't mean its Sci Fi. Google Asimov's definition.

So Asimov is correct and the popular definition of the genre 'Sci Fi' is incorrect?
    😉

Nick

Excuse me film buffs – but proper Sci Fi traditionally has some of the best plot and dialog. Avatar is not a Sci Fi film, and neither was Star Wars for that matter. Space Ships doesn't mean its Sci Fi. Google Asimov's definition.

Gosh, thanks.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Looks good, shame the film is so shit. I nearly puked at some of the lines in it. Makes Empire Strikes Back look like Chekov.

Dances with Wolves for retards who like pretty flashy pictures.

And don't call it a kid's movie, because it's full of stuff that's too grown up for little-uns. And besides that, since WHEN does being a kids' movie excuse a shit plot? The good kids' films are good for adults too because they're good stories well made. Don't patronise kids by fobbing off crap onto them 🙁

I don't understand people who can watch a film with a piss poor plot and then say it doesn't matter. A film without plot is just pictures.. go to a bloody art gallery. It's like saying a song is great because the lead singer looks good despite the fact that the music and lyrics are crap. Or that a football team are a great side because they're all handsome hunks, but play crap football.

Come off it.

Nick

Dances with Wolves for retards who like pretty flashy pictures.

Sorry molgrips but I'm not sure what you're hinting at here, did you like it or not?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm not wholly clear that the plot is that bad actually. DwWs has a basic, well-established Western genre plotline of tested allegiances, which Avatar shares. It's a very good story in essence. It drags a little because the section of the story in which the hero's allegiances unravel and he becomes a traitor without really noticing it takes the form of a long series of small incidents. Avatar has essentially the same weakness as DwWs – the central section goes on for far too long. But it's a plot-line that no-one need be ashamed of.

What they've then done in terms of crafting the dialogue is dire though. Compared to the huge effort of realising the images the words are very, very bad. And, as Apocalypto shows, there is no real need for the blue people to talk pidgin English. They could simply talk incomprehensibly. We'd lose nothing, and nothing they said would sound wooden and stupid. But maybe that was a bridge too far.

Also, it's not a weakness for something to look good. Done in 3D, the thing is incredibly immersive. The detail and depth of the field is remarkable. It adds a different experience to being in a cinema. It's conspicuoulsy better than being in an art gallery, because the pictures move, you're allowed popcorn and a cuddle and no-one strokes their goatee and talks about neo-conceptualism. If enjoying that occasionally makes me a retard then so be it. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Hehe..

I really liked the idea of Gaia-made-real that was slightly hinted at in the film – that the trees were all linked via their roots, and they sent signals to each other. They could be like neurons in a neural net, making the entire planet a big brain with intelligence, thoughts, ideas, memories etc etc. Kind of like many pagan belief systems aroudn the world I suppose but with a measureable scientific component.

Totally glossed over tho 🙁

Also, it's not a weakness for something to look good.

No, but it is when it's at the expense of content that the film purports to have. I mean fine, make a piece of visual moving art – great. But to have some kind of token piss poor attempt at a script getting in the way of the visuals is a shame.

Plenty of amazing looking films with great multi-layered stories out there. The two things are not exclusive.

In DwW (as I remember, it was a long long time ago) the whole film focuses around him gaining the trust of what were originally his mortal enemies. This is represented in a cheesy bloody montage ffs in Avatar! Glossing over the content so you can have some sentimental waffle and some bloody stupid bangy bits punctuated by the worst dialoge this side of East Enders..

Deep breaths… okay

I just hate it when films spend so much effort on the gaudy technical bits when they treat one of the most ancient, important and profound forms of art i.e. storytelling with such contempt.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Saw it twice at Bradford IMAX

I'm waiting for the 3-D version of 'Rita, Sue and Bob Too' to come out; you know, so you can really feel you're 'there'! 😀

Talkemada
    Free Member

It's conspicuoulsy better than being in an art gallery, because the pictures move, you're allowed popcorn and a cuddle and no-one strokes their goatee and talks about neo-conceptualism.

😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I'm waiting for the 3-D version of 'Rita, Sue and Bob Too' to come out; you know, so you can really feel you're 'there'!

sloppy seconds in 3D – ni-ice 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Eh, Bob, are we 'avin' a joomp today?

Eh? Ah thought ah were great??!

Fat fooookin' Mavis!

One of the Greatest Films Ever Made.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I'd rather watch a Segal movie, or maybe Van-Damme, both would be likely to feature less predictable plot lines.

The gratutitous VD butt shot is akin to much of the 3D demonstration scenes completely lost on the small screen.

Not pants…. just plain arse!

organic355
    Free Member

I don't get all this negativity. I quite enjoyed avatar. Each to their own and all that.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

One of the Greatest Films Ever Made.

Agreed – joyfully downbeat and fantastic dialogue throughout.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Avatar on Blu-ray is a triumph!’ is closed to new replies.