Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AV Buffs Help Needed
  • grantway
    Free Member

I just maybe trying the impossible but here goes.

Just bought my Daughter the LG HB44s mini surround system
    LG HB44s surround sound

I am trying to link it up with a Thomson (White) sky+ box.
    By this i mean watching tv and putting the audio through the LG surround system.

I have linked the two by an optical cable, but all i get is the sound through the LGHB44s
    but no picture.
    Any help here be grateful or am i trying something thats just not going to happen?

ftr1873
    Free Member

The optical connector is for sound only. Try connecting the Sky box to the TV as you have done in the past, you should get picture and sound. You may also have sound on the TV depending on the connection but you can just turn it down and make better use of the new surround box. HTH

grantway
    Free Member

Hi ftr1873 Yep was aware of the sound only and i still had the TV connected to the sky box
    via its scart to scart lead connection only.
    But I agree with what you have written and thought this would have happened.

Cougar

Yeah, despite the name, optical cables aren’t, they’re audio only. It shouldn’t stop the existing video working though – did you knock the cable out when you were moving stuff about?

grantway
    Free Member

Yeah Cougar and it should be ok
    But now i have removed the HDMI cable from the surround system to the TV and now its working?

Git to be something wrong here.

catsplums
    Free Member

why have you the surround system back to the tv with the HDMI? was your TV auto selecting hdmi from the surround system but it not actually then providing video due to you only supplying it audio from the optical input?

grantway
    Free Member

Un-sure on what your saying but this is what i have connected.

The Sky has the scart to scart to the TV. To play DVDs i have the HDMI going to the TV.
    I don’t see any other way looking at the Manual.
    Auto selecting might be the Simplink getting in the way, this is how the LG and LG surround
    sound is meant to work together ?

Cougar

Ah, you never mentioned anything about HDMI.

Assuming everything supports it, you want:

DVD > HDMI > Amp > HDMI > TV

Sky > HDMI > Amp > HDMI > TV

… and throw the SCART cable in the bin.

The gotcha here is that Sky does not output 5.1 surround over HDMI (because they are INSANE), you have to use an optical cable to carry the sound.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘AV Buffs Help Needed’ is closed to new replies.