Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Autumn trails…
  • noteeth
    Free Member

My favourite time of year… I've been on rides this last week so perfect, that the only way they could be more perfect is if I ended them by getting slowly drunk beside a campfire, with Chan Marshall singing me love songs.

woody2000

Agreed! Dry, sunny and warm – isn't summer supposed to be like this? 😀

stumpy01

I like riding during autumn, apart from when the leaves on the ground get so thick you can't actually see the trail you are meant to be going along.
    A lot of the better singletrack at Thetford becomes very difficult to navigate through in autumn, especially cos we normally only get over there in the evenings so it's Lumi power only!

Can be a bit risky going off-piste & finding a large stump/fallen tree that's been completely buried under leaves – it adds to the tension anyway!!

stumpyjon

Trails are pretty dry at the moment, not so sunny up here but still pretty good riding conditions, much better than August. Saying that it is raining here today so maybe that's the start of Autumn proper.

ahwiles
    Free Member

went for a solo sunset/dusk/night ride last night.

dry, not dusty, cheeky trails, crisp leaves, quiet, didn't see another soul.

it was so perfect i nearly cried.

and then i rode through a lane full of fresh cowsh*t, i can still smell it…

tang
    Free Member

ahwiles- old zen saying- 'after the ecstasy, the laundry'.

mtbfix

There was a perfect autumnal section on The Wall over at Afan on Friday past. The trails were dry and hard and a dusting of beech leaves adorned the way. Enough to look lovely, not so much as to obscure the route. Joy! Long may it last.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

north of inverness the leaves are getting pretty thick. i love riding in autumn but theres always that thought in the back of your mind that theres nothing in between autumn and winter, it can only get colder… which is no bad thing really…. the next dry hardpack ride will be the three week long "everythings frozen" period in around 4 months time…

im just gonna try and enjoy autumn =)

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Perfect solo outing yesterday. 5 Dales 36k circuit from the VG White Peak guide. Cool, but warm, warm but cool. Leaves and magical dry woodland. Autumn colours, lovely.

Ace 🙂

Paul

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Couldn't agree more with all of the above went out yesterday afternoon just right temp wise a few leaves down on the trails dry but not to dusty and not a lot of people around sheer bliss 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

aren't bikes ace?

(even when you are splattered in cowsh*t)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It was like summer arrived on the purbecks yesterday – dust, dehydration and sunburn!

noteeth
    Free Member

And so it continues… 😀

It's stunning out there.

trailmonkey

Last night at Haldon was probably the dustiest conditions I've ever had to choke through.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Dry sweet trails, awesome sunsets, cooling down so you don't sweat a bucket, terrific smell from the loam, foliage a riot of colour. Yep, pretty much my favourite time of year.

noteeth
    Free Member

Lots of spiders, I've noticed. My ride this afternoon was like something out of Charlotte's Web.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Even riding through the middle of East Brum tonight was pretty stunning.

swamp_boy

Been great round here, bit dusty but lovely easy riding, flew round my usual circuit round St Albans on Sunday – all the walkers and horsey people were in good moods too.

Full moon just rising, think I'll put the lights on and go for a blast.

Time to check out a local ROW that follows stream bed as well.

scaredypants

noteeth, aren't you in southampton?

I was out in the nf on Wednesday night – was still summer then (including getting ripped to bits by brambles)

dobo
    Free Member

Was on the south downs this evening and it was awesome! Never seen it better, dry dusty trails all different colours of leaves imaginable, some falling to the ground, some not. The fields green grass, harvested crops, non harvested & bailed. only the occasional solitary cloud floating by with a sunset that that lasted forever, then the moon comes into play, then late evening hot air balloons.

Just the most perfect ride

BruceK
    Free Member

ahh, the dust, it chokes me!!
    Autumn is definately the new summer.
    Just love riding through beech woods at this time of year, just a blur of gold and yellow under your wheels..Abbeydale Woods in Sheffield is particularily fine me remembers

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Yep, agreed. Had probably best night ride ever this evening – Trendlebere Down – Houndtor – Water – Lustleigh Cleave. Dust in October!

el_boufador

The melancholy ebbing beauty of the summer. So much a metaphor for life. It is fantastic.

zaskarrider
    Free Member

I had one of the best rides of the year last night in Dalby… the trails were very dry,fast and clean and it was nice not to have sweat running into my eyes !!
    and not that speed matters too much to me but i beat my best lap time by 10 mins without even trying.
    All that and i felt a little sleepy before i started the 23 mile loop.
    Fantastic conditions

noteeth
    Free Member

aren't you in southampton?

Yup… temporarily. Despite being an exile from Bristol, I have become very fond of the singletrack in Lordswood.*

(*except for those MX riders…)

MtbCol
    Free Member

zaskar rider – Member

I had one of the best rides of the year last night in Dalby… the trails were very dry,fast and clean and it was nice not to have sweat running into my eyes !!
    and not that speed matters too much to me but i beat my best lap time by 10 mins without even trying.
    All that and i felt a little sleepy before i started the 23 mile loop.
    Fantastic conditions

Same for me in Dalby on Tuesday, fantastic conditions and the leaves are just starting to turn as well.
    I love this time of year for riding, and the trails aren't as busy too! 😀

zaskarrider
    Free Member

I love this time of year for riding, and the trails aren't as busy too!

Its great… sometimes i ride the whole 23 miles and dont see anyone.. Lets hope the conditions hold out.. i will be back in Dalby on monday.. cant wait

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Autumn trails…’ is closed to new replies.