• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by NJA.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Autotrader or Ebay?
  • highclimber
    Free Member

I need to sell my car and it seems autotrader is rather expensive (£45 for 2weeks Web and Mag). would I be better on Ebay or are the selling fees a lot more than AT? fixed price with best offer or Auction with reserve?

defydude
    Free Member

I have sold on eBay classifieds last year. Think it cost £20 for 28 days with loads of pics. Sold it after a couple of weeks for a fair price.

highclimber
    Free Member

I’m looking for about £5000 though. i assume the fees are connected to the price it sells for?

defydude
    Free Member

Nope. Fixed cost, which seem to be less than I remembered it to be.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/adformatfees.html

firestarter
    Free Member

I put a car on autotrader no calls all week stuck it on ebay as a fixed price sold within days with lots of interest. Fees iirc was about twenty quid all in with no paypal as it was cash on collection. He paid before auction was up too so I cancelled the ad and avoided final value fees too 😉

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

Try your local gumtree. I have successfully bought and sold cars on there

muenchen1
    Free Member

For me advertised a (£4.5k)Fiesta on Autotrader for the basic 2 week package (web only) – had 3 genuine enquiries (discounting +5 spam enquiries) and two viewings – the second of those sold the car.
    I also put the car on Gumtree for free which didn’t generate anything. A friend has gone the Ebay classifed route on a £2.5k Mondeo and had one nibble.

highclimber
    Free Member

Yeah, I have gone for the Ebay route. Autotrader is rather expensive in comparison £41 (not the £45 I quoted) versus £8 insertion and £35 fixed fee with the opportunity to sell before auction closes and no fee if it doesn’t sell.

user-removed
    Free Member

‘Sold’ my Focus by auction on ebay recently. It cost me £28. But the ‘buyer’ turned out to be a complete time-waster and the car eventually sold to a very decent chap off here 🙂

I have to say, that after nearly 750 transactions on ebay, I would think twice about selling any more high value items on there – the last half dozen or so have been a total ball-ache.

NJA

Classified Ad on e-bay – listed on Sunday, 7 phone calls Monday – Cash in Hand and car gone Tuesday lunch.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Autotrader or Ebay?’ is closed to new replies.