Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • Audi
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Dissagree about BMW economy, they have always had both better economy and power than the competition like for like, hence they often used to win the awards for best engine most years (along with Honda).

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm not talking about mpg/hp ratio, I'm talking about just mpg. I've heard that BMW official figures are a long long way out. But then I'm good at fuel efficient driving (whilst driving normally not 50mph everywhere) so I might do better than your average journo 🙂

bruk

Looking at new wheels right now and considering A4 Avant and 5 series Touring, (wife has a 3 series and too sad to have identical cars!).

Audi def has nicer interior unless you go the whole hog with BMW kit list and leather etc. However was dull to drive.

BMW drives nicer, steering better, like little things like boot window lifting up instead of whole bootlid.

Choice may be affected by how BMW deal with the DSC (traction control) failure in the wife's car. If service is as poor as it has been ringing round for quotes then Audi may get the cash. Been an unpleasant suprise.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My TT (2.0 TFi) does 35mpg around town, 45mpg on a run doing around 75/80mph. I fancied a 325 coupe but the lease was around £125 a month more. And I am very happy with the TT.

ed34
    Free Member

when i got my A3(new) i got it foe less than the equivalent specced golf. VW wouldnt budge on the price at all and wouldnt match any internet quotes. At the Audi garage the matched my internet quote print out straight away so i bought that instead of the golf.Much nicer inside as well. Had mince for 3 years now and its been a good car.

I think a lot of the audi hating is a clarkson thing, he (and rest of TG team) mention it and then all the TG fanboys start agreeing! If he'd said volvo / VW etc were driven badly people would agree with that. There are idiot drivers in all cars from boy racers with bodykits to old people in their hondas / volvos!

ZaskarCarbon – Member
    I think a lot of people's perceptions of Audi/Beemer drivers comes from the fact that they are driving a car which is, essentially, no better than an equivalent Ford

Ford's are OK, but not in the same league as Honda, Audi or BMW. You're kidding yourself if you think an "equivalent" Ford is better than the corresponding Audi or BMW. Better value, maybe. But a better car overall, never.

mashiehood
    Free Member

i own a 120d – the best car I have owned. I wouldn't change it for any other car in the same price range on sale today.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ford's are OK, but not in the same league as Honda, Audi or BMW. You're kidding yourself if you think an "equivalent" Ford is better than the corresponding Audi or BMW. Better value, maybe. But a better car overall, never.

You don't really know your cars do you?

This statement may have applied 10+ years ago but not today.

A Ford Focus or Mondeo (or Fiesta) has a brilliant chassis – they handle better than any FWD Audi and modern Honda. They are also reliable and well made with a good spec as standard.

Statements like the above are made by those with no idea. An Audi (apart from the fast models) is just an expensive Skoda/Seat/VW. The high prices are justified by huge hype and because they have a "nice dashboard" (too fussy IMO). Unless you want/need a big engine and AWD then buying an Audi is all about image over substance – even with big engines, they still have dull and lifeless handling (apart from the R8).

Apart from the B7 RS4, the current S3, S4 and R8, I haven't liked Audis for many years.

Hondas current range is just dull and the diesels kill gearboxes and clutches way too often. The current CTR is also a major "miss" compared to the last one.

BMWs are genuinely a bit different – all RWD (or AWD), all well balanced, all with good steering. Some models are pretty cack (ahem X1, X3, some tiny engined diesels, the 5er GT, etc) but at least BMW make a genuine effort to build a drivers car rather than just badging up a cheapo chassis and pretending it's a sign of success.

molgrips
    Free Member

I reckon the interiors on more upmarket cars are nicer than the cheaper ones. This is quite important to me. It's about aesthetics rather than image.. and this is a personal thing! (so you can't tell me I'm wrong 😉 )

I also like the diesel Civic, didn't find it dull at all 🙂

But I don't think there's any point in comparing Honda to BMW as they are most definitely in a different market segment!

tron
    Free Member

I'd not have an Audi. As others have said, you get a fairly standard VAG platform with rock hard suspension and a nice interior. To me the clear new choices if you want something that sort of size are the MK6 GTI, MK3 Scirroco or a 3 series.

I'd not say BMW and Audi are in the same class simply because BMWs have rear wheel drive, which makes a big difference. And BMW have fantastic engines – power and economy, rather than just economy.

However, you clearly have very different priorities to me if you're considering a 1.6 TDI A3. It'll be slow, and if I had it, it'd be thirsty because it'd be going flat out in order to make a bit of progress. To me, a car has to be reliable, drive well, and as for the interior, I want good seats and switches where I can reach them. So long as the interior isn't made of recycled CD boxes, I'm happy.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

This is all getting a bit aggressive again isn't it? Blimey.

At the end of the day, some people like Audis. They aren't wrong. Some people like Skodas. They aren't wrong. Some people like Rovers.

ed34
    Free Member

i test drove a new 1.6 tdi golf which will have the same engine as the audi and its not slow! But then again i'm past all the boy racer hooning round country road type things, i gave up on all that in cars once i discovered motorbikes (now past all that as well) To me the interior of a car is important, i'd rather have a nice inside where i sit and a resonable engine than a plasticy dash and a super fast boy racer engine.

I prefer audis as i like the interior compared to skoda / VW / fords, and i know they are pricier but i usually keep my cars 10+ years so am not really bothered about a few extra thousand over that time scale. Might not buy another, that depends on the quality of the interiors of other cars next time i change, but when i got my A3 a few years ago it had a much nicer interior than fords, hondas, golfs, skodas etc

Different people prefer different things in cars so you cant really say 'x' car is crap compared to 'y' car as they may look for different things in it than you would (eg rear wheel drive wouldnt attract me at all as i'm not really bothered that its supposed to handle better, thats not my number 1 priority)

Edit – +1 mastiles_fanylion. At the end of the day its an individuals choice, like anything else in life eg houses, bikes, clothes.

cookeaa

In terms of fuel economy I think my next car will have to be a reasonable ~2.0L Turbo diesel of some sort, with Cruise control and a 6 speed gear box, probably Golf Estate sized or larger, the cruise control and gear box are simply for motorway economy, sensible steady speeds with a “torquey” engine and a higher ratio top gear seem to help there (Our family car has to do plenty of motorway miles either with Child and associated gubbins or as a bike transporter) Such a car can still be enjoyable and economical on my Daily A road Commute too I reckon…

I’m fast coming to the conclusion that smaller petrol engines (1.6 or less) are a false economy unless you put them in something extra tiny and therefore light to optimise your “power to weight ratio”…
    Bigger petrol engines are just naturally thirsty, only really worth getting if all you plan to do is boot the thing hard everywhere and exit this world in a blaze of (upside down through a central reservation) glory…

For a day in day out car that’s moderately enjoyable to drive, has a boot and back seats you can use and thus weighs getting on for 2te, I think you need to seriously consider what is under the bonnet as counter intuitive as it may sound I reckon you’d get better overall fuel economy out of a 2.0”TDi” that just about a 1.6/1.4 “FSi” engined equivalent and a more enjoyable drive as you’ve not climbing up and down the gears and screaming the arse off of it simply to keep sensible A Road speeds…

Irrespective of make or list price I think those are good criteria to use when looking at a car (If it’s for personal use only)…. Then again your usage might be quite different to mine.
    What is your main usage going to be if you get this A3?

DezB
    Free Member

.. you can't tell me I'm wrong

Exactly. I can't see a debate! You like the car, you buy the car. Sod other opinions.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Some people like Rovers.

Do they? 😆 😉

tron
    Free Member

I reckon you’d get better overall fuel economy out of a 2.0”TDi” that just about a 1.6/1.4 “FSi” engined equivalent

Quite possibly, but over their life, Diesels can chuck out some horrible unexpected bills. I'd not have another for that reason.

Surf-Mat – Member
    rather than just badging up a cheapo chassis and pretending it's a sign of success

People might take your comments more seriously/objectively if you didn't have such a chip on your shoulder 🙄

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I have had an 06 A4 Avant S line Tdi 140bhp and it is a great car, it gives me 650 to 700 miles to a tank of fuel (driving between 60/ 70mph), the leather interior is very comfortable the Bose stereo sounds great and the S Line body kit makes the car. I've had a couple of VW passats in the past which were bigger inside but though similar the Audi is nicer.

this only "cocks drive an Audi" is rubbish usually coming from people who either have a ford or citron which they have stuck a big pipe on and a spoiler…. or they want an Audi

Get one you won't be disappointed

cookeaa

Diesels can chuck out some horrible unexpected bills. I'd not have another for that reason.

Fair point, depends how long you keep it and how frequently you get all "enthusiastic" when driving it…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Quite possibly, but over their life, Diesels can chuck out some horrible unexpected bills. I'd not have another for that reason.

Bit if a sweeping statement there – some diesels have been bad news (swirl flaps went on my 38k mile 1.9CDTi Astra – luckily under warranty – a major issue), others are rock solid with no problems at all. A few early issues with common rail diesels which are under immense pressure, have been ironed out – not many are popping now and generally it's just four cylinder ones which are gay anyway.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

People might take your comments more seriously/objectively if you didn't have such a chip on your shoulder

Chip? Where? About Audis being overpriced and not that good? Why is that a chip? Or do you have an Audi by any chance?

Captain – a 140bhp car made to look like a 414bhp RS4 with oversized alloys and crashy overhard suspension – not my cup of tea at all…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member
    Some people like Rovers.
    Do they?

You noticed my subtle attempt at humour then? 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

Cokeaa, I'm with you. If you are interested in fuel economy and not about power, then the bluemotion/other eco versioned cars are worth a look. The Passat one is big, comfy, refined and does 65mpg apparently in the real world.

True about the big engined petrol cars too but remember that the TFSi is a small engined petrol with a turbo that can be switched on and off. So you cruise as a small engined car and then when you boot it, it's like a big engined car. And they have a lot more lower down torque too which means you don't have to rev their nuts off.

Mat – the chip n your shoulder seems to be because you keep mentioning image. Why would anyone think I was discussing Audi because I care about 'image'? My other car's a Prius ffs!

I'm not gonna get an A3 any time soon of course, only had my Passat a year. Next car would likely be a Bluemotion Golf. Second car gets used for long motorway trips around work, and it needs to have a towbar for bike rack duties and also towing. I'd be a little concerned about the towing ability of a bluemotion type car tho.

NigE5
    Free Member

Just been through all this A3 V Golf thing, ended up with a Golf Mk6 1.4 tsi GT.
    I felt that the A3 tdi 140 ps was dark and cramped, bad vis out the rear and nasty 70's style red digital display, hard ride, did not feel that fast, and woolly steering. Also A3 very common on the roads these days

ed34 – Member
    Different people prefer different things in cars so you cant really say 'x' car is crap compared to 'y' car as they may look for different things in it than you would (eg rear wheel drive wouldnt attract me at all as i'm not really bothered that its supposed to handle better, thats not my number 1 priority)

At least somebody gets it.

Lots of people go on about this car or that car isn't a "driver's car" or doesn't handle well. I drive about 17000 miles a year but whenever I check my on board computer the average speed is around 30-40 mph. Therefore, I don't need the best handling car in the world. Might be a different story if I was doing regular track days or hooning around country lanes, but I'm not.

Most important things to me are reliability, build quality, 0-60/30-70 and what the car looks like.

I had a Ford Fiesta hire car for a week last month. It was OK, but felt flimsy. It could've handled like a Ferrari but I wouldn't want to own a car that flimsy.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Surf Mat. Good job you don't have one then!

Mine may look like an RS4 but it was about £25k less (second hand prices)

Yes the suspension is stiff but so is the suspension on my brothers 123 BMW. Harshness is the trade off for decent handling on twisty roads.

tonyg2003

Surf-mat you are quite right about honda diesels not being that reliable. I think that the i-cdti a great first time effort for Honda but they got some things wrong. Clutches go too often and gearboxes sometimes have problems. Exhuast manifolds eventually crack and turbo's have a way of letting go too. Nothing disaterous but average for Tdi's. Certainly not as bullit proof as honda petrol engines, although I'm sure Honda have sorted these issues for the next genreation. That's why mines getting traded in on saturday but I'm going for another diesel estate, an auto this time.

njee20
    Free Member

even with big engines, they still have dull and lifeless handling (apart from the R8).

Have you driven the entire range (including the R8), or are you just regurgitating what you've read elsewhere? Genuinely curious like.

When I have an R8 I will consider my life a success. That is all I'm going to contribute to this thread!

Mat, maybe you have more of an issue with Audi drivers than the cars themselves as you appear keen to judge people by their ownership of them rather than limiting your dislike of Audi to the cars themselves – hence, the chip on shoulder comment. Do you think all people with piercings or tattoos are thugs?

By the way, I don't own "an" Audi, I own 2 (8 year old Allroad, 1 week old TT). And a Mercedes (16 year old E-Class). I also have piercings and tattoos. Please judge me as you wish.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Harshness is the trade off for decent handling on twisty roads.

No it isn't and the A4 (FWD) doesn't handle decently. It understeers and crashed all over the place. Plenty of cars handle very well but aren't harsh – a Focus being a good example.

My cousin has an A6 2.7TDI S-Line on 19" wheels. What should be a comfy cruiser is actually a shockingly crashy PITA with horrible FWD that can't cope with the engine's torque. His kids hate sitting in the back.

Your brother's 123d would be a lot less harsh if he stuck non run flat tyres on – I swapped mine over and the ride was transformed. It also handles brilliantly on twisty roads…;-)

njee20
    Free Member

I also have piercings and tattoos. Please judge me as you wish.

And to think, I thought you were alright! How wrong I was.

molgrips
    Free Member

Whilst we're on the subject of handling vs comfort, I did wonder what would happen if I put say an Eibach spring kit on my Passat. Is it possible to lower it a bit and stiffen it up without sacrificing much if any comfort?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Have you driven the entire range (including the R8), or are you just regurgitating what you've read elsewhere? Genuinely curious like.

A mate has an R8, I have driven loads of Audis inclusing the S3, RS4, S4 and loads of lesser FWD models so yes I have and no I don't regurgitate car mags.

Mike – part of it is annoyance. Dad had three uR Quattros and they were utterly brilliant. If anyone was going to be a lifelong Audi fan it would be me – but since the mid 90s they have just churned out average handling cars that they charge big money for. And yes this does mean a lot of drivers feel the need to prove themselves (as with earlier BMWs) and feel the need to drive very badly/aggressively. It's a shame but apart from their "halo" models (even lots of those handle badly), the are just overpriced Seats/Skodas/VWs.

If I wanted a FWD comfy car with a bit of space and a bit of poke, I'd get a Volvo.

Mike – ermmm – I don't give two hoots about stuff like that. My sister has a pierced tongue and tattoos – who cares?

cookeaa

Molgrips – Yep that's the way my motoring is drifting these day, New car is some way off for me too, I don’t think I’ll be looking at a Prius but I think “Real world fuel economy” coupled with basic functional features (Boot space, Roof rails/Tow bar) in a Comfortable, Drivable package is all I really want/need…

Make/model isn’t an issue for me, and from what your say it’s not for you either but as a Aesthete the environment you’re in makes a difference to your enjoyment/comfort when driving so a reasonable interior is a significant point for you, Hence you’re considering the Audi, Right? if that’s the case then I reckon it does have some value over other VAG Units but don’t totally count VW/Skoda/Seat out on that front with some selective use of the options I reckon you could have a similar level of comfort/finish for a touch less spend…

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Surf Mat. Have you actually had an Audi? You seem to have strong views against them.

I'm off to my sisters to drive her Porsche turbo, but you'll probably say thats crap too….

molgrips
    Free Member

And yes this does mean a lot of drivers feel the need to prove themselves (as with earlier BMWs) and feel the need to drive very badly/aggressively

I disagree. I think a lot of Audis are driven badly because they are driven by reps who cover 50k miles a year. Familiarity does breed contempt, and mostly they just want to get home fast after a day being assertive and forthright in their sales meetings. Hence the angry driving 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Cokeaa – right on. I dunno about less speed from the other VAG cars since they still have the same engines. And to be honest, the cost is a factor. I mean Audis can be pretty but if it's a case of a fully loaded VW versus a base Audi, I think I'd go for the VW because I do like equippment.

Although if a Prius could tow, I'd have two – of the new model. Fuel economy as good as the best eco diesels (in that size class) but petrol rather than diesel. Which is less energy intenstive to make apparently, and much cleaner at the tailpipe. And often cheaper.

Re other VAG cars – I find Skodas a bit ugly inside and out (my mate had a recent Octy and I didn't like the look of it at all), and I did test drive Seat when I was looking last year. They were an iteration behind VW and it showed. Older PD engines, and the Altea had loads of wind noise and was just.. plain. All the cars were plain really apart from the Honda Civic, and the VWs which looked and felt nice and classy inside. Which is ironic because Passats are 10/1p down here.

njee20
    Free Member

And yes this does mean a lot of drivers feel the need to prove themselves (as with earlier BMWs) and feel the need to drive very badly/aggressively

Hmmmm, you've driven the full range of Audis, on a track presumably in order to ascertain the handling is inadequate? Or were you on public roads in an RS4/RS6/R8 pushing the limits? In which case I would you fall into the category of drivers above.

People who tend to drive like ****ts will drive like a ****t regardless what car they're in.

I should know, as I used to drive like a ****t, but then I got married, had kids and calmed down (not had a speeding ticket for over 9 years).

IainGillam
    Free Member

The folks had an A4 and it was just about the least reliable car they ever owned, it started to go wrong about a month out of the factory when the heat matrix went on the blip, it leaked coolant for all of it's eight year life despite visiting the garage on many occasions. The engine management warning light kept on coming on with no apparent problems as did the brake warning light, once again several trips to the garage didn't sort the problem out. Toward the end of ownership it started leaking oil as well as coolant, the brakes also started screetching terribly, again sent back to the garage who couldn't sort it out. As by this stage warning lights were coming on all the time, fluids leaking all the time, hideous brake noise all the time we got fed up and got rid. On an unrelated note my brothers VW polo of 2002 vintage blew the head gasket after about 30,000 miles of carefull driving leaving the engine un financially viable to repaire so VAG group cars arn't at the top of my list for reliability which is a shame as thats why we bought them in the first place! However, Just got a VRS (third time lucky) for a lot less than the equivalently specced VW, or Audi and hence it has a better engine spec etc and if you can get over the skoda bit it's really good.
    Iain

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Audi’ is closed to new replies.