Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Attention Berlingo owners!
  • PaulBecks
    Free Member

I'm thinking of buying a Berlingo Forte and have a arranged a test drive for tomorrow – anything particular i should bear in mind whilst checking it over, common faults etc??

Cheers Paul

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

You'll initially be teased for being 'disabled', then once the doubters have experienced the practicality and general usefulness first hand, they'll become 'Berlingo-curious', and you'll become a trend-setter (IME).

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Assume you mean second hand.

Both my berlingo's (1.6 forte and 2.0 HDi) have had failed alternators – about 40,000 miles (pretty dear at around 300 quid), also look for airbag light – normally just a loose connection under driver seat – all my citroens have had this from about 2 years onwards. Engine mounts (lower) and gearbox mounts are weak on HDi – mine have been changed at 65k on my HDi, think petrol may have less issues, lighter engine? Rocker cover seal leaked at 60k miles.

Also, original front discs wear fast – actually wear out before pads! Haggled a warranty change on mine at 30k miles!!!

Apart from making sure it is serviced every 12,500 miles and good oil used on HDi in particular, they are pretty reliable. Interior is fragile – dont be surprised by wear and broken plastic, however engine is strong and reliable. My local garage reckons their van based mechanics makes them a good bet for normal use. Timing belt change on the HDi is 100,000 miles!

jedi

my berlingo has done 130000 miles. runs like a dream and i rag the arse off it.

Blackhound

Had mine 7 years from new next week, but done 100,000 miles less than Jedi!

Very practical and other than routine servicing / mot have never spent a penny on it.

Would have another one though thinking of a camper van next time – a whole different thread;-)

twinklydave

it's french so the electrics will surrender very quickly – the instrument panel and the rear wiper motor on mine died (and neither were cheap to replace)

but i still love mine, it's awful roadholding and random strange noises just make it more endearing…and it's bloody easy to sweep out when it gets filled with mud 🙂

jedi

mines fast and does 2000 miles a month effortlesly 🙂

Splat
    Free Member

Ours has 100,000 miles on the clock, but still running well. The spring attached to the front wheel steering went about 60,000 (no, I don't know the proper name for it), but apart from usual running costs not anything that has gone majorly wrong. Our kids hate it. It's red and so really does look like a postman pat van.
    I love it because it is so practical..even if I was told it was a strange car for a woman to drive, but was also told by the same bloke that i shouldn't do the longer route on the Marin Rough Ride because it was so tough… I'd agree it was tough, but that didn't stop me from doing it 🙂

twinklydave

oh, and the forte's the bottom of the range model, so don't expect many luxuries…but then that just means there's less to go wrong 🙂

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Various bushes and links in suspension/steering tend to go. Look for the rear wheels being off the vertical. A poor design means an entire new beam is required (not cheap).

Normally aspirated 1.9 diesel seems to be OK (mid 40s mpg but a bit flat – you get used to it, belt to be done at 45,000).

Rear wiper mechanism (not motor) siezed up due to water leak (screenwash passes through the spindle – poor design/execution). I just disconnected it after the second fix)

Otherwise great car for a cyclist – takes two solos and a tandem no bother or three people and three bikes inside.

mugsys_m8

Had three berlingos (No.3 still ino our poseesion). No. 1 was a van. No. 2 a car.

No. 1 did a lot for us, and we missed services on it. It needed lots of things just out of warranty. Front discs, power steering pump. It needed a new regulator after the old one got water damaged due to incorrect mounting: water dripped into it. Kept it for 3 years and it did about 60 000 miles

No.2 needed nothing doing to it, but we only had it for 1 year. Lost a lot of money on it. Bought at 3 years old, and sold it as we moved to france.

No.3 is the new style, brand new, limited edition rossignol xtr. Suspension has been harsh form new, and shock heads replaced. But this is a know problem with the XTR's.

geoffj

it's french so the electrics will surrender very quickly

😆

tron
    Free Member

Instruments, indicator stalks (same part as the Pug 406 I believe, £150 to replace), automatic wipers etc.

nmdbase
    Free Member

It's French and will break?

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Paul,

Mine is an 06 which I had new and has now dine 118,000 miles.

1.6 petrol averages 40.3 miles to the gallon, according to trip computer.

I have been trying to think of things to look out for but over the last four years all I have had done is replace brake pads, tyres, part of the exhaust and had it serviced.

As mentioned earlier, everyone will have a laugh at your expense but usually they come round when they discover how easy these things are and how practical.

Servicing at Citroen dealers is on a fixed price menu and reasonable but after mine I was out of warranty I use a local independant garage.

It's always started. runs well, so sorry I can't advise you on faults to look out for.

fbk
    Free Member

I had one as a company van for a bit and it was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever driven. Admittedly I do suffer with an intermittent bad back but a friend said the same – claiming that just looking at mine brought his sciatica back!

I'd also never buy a Citroen after my boss took his car to a local dealer with a whole host of faults. It had done just over 100,000miles and the chap in the garage suggested that Citroens don't really last that long normally.

Just my opinion obviously 🙂

PaulBecks
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, i'm just waiting for a call from the guy at the garage as the div buggered off out with the keys earlier 😕

Paul

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Attention Berlingo owners!’ is closed to new replies.