Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)
  • Assisted Suicide – for or against
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

"You clearly do as you have no understanding of either the law or the ethics on this one. We are talking about personal decisions. People have the right to make them and no one has the right to question them."

Wooooosh.

Junkyard
    Free Member

TJ is ocrrect perfectly rational and irrational people make decisions we have to respect,If someone doe snot want blood because it offends their beliefs then that is their choice [ i am rather coincerned when this is applied to children though]. It i sbinkers and illogical and IMHO not even consistent with the bible but it is still their choice.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Whats that wooshing noise? its the point flying right over Mr Woppits head.

Yes I do think your views are crazy and I have no idea how you can come to the decision you do.

"want to suck every last second out of life because it's the only one we get" – don't know what's so hard to understand about that. Perhaps you're having your own "wooosh" moment.

If I feel like discussing someone's professed reason for doing something, I will. Whether it's about scrambling eggs, riding full suspension, thinking there's a "god" involved in dying or any other damn thing.

Like it or lump it, matey. :mrgreen:

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrWoppit
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Whats that wooshing noise? its the point flying right over Mr Woppits head.

Yes I do think your views are crazy and I have no idea how you can come to the decision you do. That my view from my experience.

I can't for the life of me (oops) think what is so hard to understand about "want to suck every last second out of life because it's the only one we get" – perhaps you're having your own "wooosh" moment…

If I want to discuss the reason why somebody is doing something, whether it's scrambling eggs, riding full suspension, thinking "god" has something to do with suicide (or anything, really) or any other damn thing, I will.

Like it or lump it, matey… :mrgreen:

Junkyard
    Free Member

if a person wants to deny thesmesleves a blood transfusion for example due to a belief [ which I think is a misinterpretation of the bible anyway but that is another point] it is their choice to do so. DO I find it starange yes, Odd Yes , Incorrect Yes it is still theri decision though.

This entire thread is about the right to choose – if you choose to die I have no issue with that – assuming mental competency etc if you choose to live again I have no issue with it. Surely everyone is pro choice – even when that choice is daft?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bump 'cos its glitched

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

and again

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

if a person wants to deny thesmesleves a blood transfusion for example due to a belief [ which I think is a misinterpretation of the bible anyway but that is another point] it is their choice to do so. DO I find it starange yes, Odd Yes , Incorrect Yes it is still theri decision though.

This entire thread is about the right to choose – if you choose to die I have no issue with that – assuming mental competency etc if you choose to live again I have no issue with it. Surely everyone is pro choice – even when that choice is daft?

Yep.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mr woppit – I have seen many folk die painful and undignified deaths hence I think your attitude is wrong towards this. Thats my opinion. However in this debate I have no right to question your decision. I would go furtehr and say your view is irrational and stupid. However Imust still respct your decision as I have no legal moral and ethical right to question it.

No one has any right to question these sorts of decision so long as the person making them is competent. This is clear legally, ethically and morally.

It is nothing like the decisions about scrambled eggs. fortunatly you are not in a position to be involved in these decsions.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I may have spotted where we are at cross purposes – you are talking about questioning in the context of idle debate on a forum. I and junkyard are talking about the people who are involved in this as it happens in a professional role.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A-ha.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Perhaps as we have established that my views are to do with my own attitude to my own life and not an attempt to establish a series of professional paradigms, you might consider withdrawing your accusations of stupidity and derangement.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I still think your wish to fight to the bitter end is irrational and stupid. Thats my opinion from waht I have seen. Not that you are irrational and stupid but that decision is. It would appear to be a competent decision tho. 🙂

Edit. we are still somewhat at cross purposes here and I see no way of clearing up the confusion

Ti29er
    Free Member

It was a simple question:
    Assisted Suicide – for or against?

Reading the above posts, it's clear that both sides slugging it out here are equally blinkered, coloured and opinionated.

Perhaps a simple Yes / No?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I heard on the news this morning that the figures for those with dementia are 850,000 in the UK, up by 15% from previous estimates 🙁 And it's only likely to get worse…

The future is bleak, but doesn’t involve turning off his life at any point.
    Yes he will become too much for my mother to cope with, yes he will shrivel up both in body and in mind in a nursing home, one day he’ll have no idea who I am, no idea how to control his bowel movements and one day will stop breathing.
    This is what awaits 1/3rd of the UK population.

eeek, a dreadful prospect, particularly for those obliged to care for them. I certainly intend to die by my own hand before losing competance to choose.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

I still think your wish to fight to the bitter end is irrational and stupid. Thats my opinion from waht I have seen. Not that you are irrational and stupid but that decision is. It would appear to be a competent decision tho.

Edit. we are still somewhat at cross purposes here and I see no way of clearing up the confusion

"Edit": No, I think we're there.

You're talking about professional ethics.

I'm not.

duckman

Junkyard; the Jehovahs witnesses believe,and it is not for me to judge anothers religion, that you should not have any part of another person inside of you,be it blood or organs.This had a few high profile cases where children were refused medical care because of parental wishes.I am pretty certain that there was a landmark case a couple of years ago in which a judge made a 14 yo a ward of court to ensure she received treatment.But it is another example of how other people can impact and influence the decision(sorry off topic)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

that you should not have any part of another person inside of you

no sex then ?

edit: or babies

MrWoppit
    Free Member

…means….

Less Jehovah's Witnesses!!! Result!!!!

Sorry, IGMC shall I?

cinnamon_girl

Agree with Ti29er's comments re dementia. Every week I visit my father in a nursing home for dementia sufferers. He is 88 years old and reckon will go on for a few more years yet, his mother reached 94.

Every week I leave the nursing home feeling that he, and all the others, have a wretched existence.

I'm a bit of a control freak and will set out on paper my wishes and my children will be implored to abide by them if I am unable to.

This country can not sustain the elderly population and the associated cost of care homes. We need to have a choice in this matter, so, yes, I am in the 'for' camp.

duckman

Didn't really think of that sfb,however there would seem to be plenty about so maybe it does not extend to that.

jd-boy
    Free Member

I was listening to Jeremy Vine Monday on Radio 2 and I admit I was in tears listening to the lady that helped her husband die as he had cancer, I lost my mother, she was 49 and sister 11 years, from cancer, I watched my mother fight cancer for 16 years, she never smoked in her life and loved working in the garden along with running her own business, the last year of her life was hell, she was a fighter,she became house bound and Dad and I had to look after her 24/7 but after all those years she had had enough, she was told a way out but it would involve outside help, if we had youthanazia (sorry if thats spelt wrong) my mother would have taken it, Im sorry but in a modern world were we can put our dog out of pain why the HELL can we not have the option to put our loved ones out of the extreme pain they are going through and you and they know they are not going to get better.she died piecfully in a hospice looked after by fantastic Mcmillan Nurses. Thank you

Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Assisted Suicide – for or against’ is closed to new replies.