Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Asking interviewer about dress code?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

Haven’t had many interviews (and not one for 6 years now!) and wear ‘smart casual’ (urgh) to work at the moment.

Is it okay just to ask ‘What kind of dress code do you have?’ to guage how smart I need to be?

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Wear a suit. At worst you’ll be slightly over-dressed. But you’ll still look smart.

No top hat though.

willard

Make sure you wear well polished shoes and dark socks too. Nothing says you mean business like a decent pair of brogues

Lifer
    Free Member

But I just got my top hat back from repair 😥

Bowler it is.

Wookster

Suit every time mate, hat wise can’t beat a panama………

mrmo
    Free Member

if i read the OP, he is asking about what to wear if you get the job, NOT the interview.

I would say use your eyes and see what others are wearing, but my last couple of interviews have been on a friday and the staff were wearing jeans…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I just asked and was told. Simples.

BigJohn

Yes. Very sensible question. If the answer means spending loads on new clobber – do a bit more research though.

Lifer
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies! Was a question re the interview dress code, but as they’d left for the day when I rang I’ll just go shirt n tie. I never worry about this sort of stuff but nervous I guess, really want this job!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Go suit and tie. If you are overdressed that’s OK. If you are underdressed it will reflect badly on you

scotabroad

Shirt/ tie/ suit if in doubt, you wont be thought of badly if you turn up with one. You will be thought of badly if they are expecting a smart interviewee and they turn up in jeans

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Definitly suit and tie ime.

donsimon
    Free Member

What’s the job? Office based, visiting clients, workshop, trendy advertising agency? Do you know what the existing employees wear on a day-to-day basis?
    This will give a guide to the current dress code and you might want to raise it a level or two for the interview.
    A suit is not always appropriate, being overdressed would say to me that you’ve not done your homework, but that’s just me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

suit, unless of course it’s for a lap dancing job!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Asking interviewer about dress code?’ is closed to new replies.