Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ashima Rotors – any good?
  • jambon
    Free Member

Good morning all.

Having been horrified by CRCs price for a new Avid 203mm rotor, was wondering if the Ashima Airotor was a good way to go?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i like em. some people say they pulse at the lever. maybe…

neninja
    Free Member

A friend hated them when he fitted some. He said they lacked power and seemed to bend far too easily. He changed them for some Hopes.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a thread on here about them failing or was that a different Ashima rotor. I know one person on here who had an ashima fail and got a broken wrist for his troubles.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

early ashima rotors kept failing because they where supposed to be fitted the wrong way round.

I have some of the new ones and have used them for over a year with no issues.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I use aligator rotors which look like they come out of the same factory.

No problems to report despite using the tiny 140mm one and me weighing 15stone! Other than it runs very hot due to it’s small size, not much metal and my weight. Good for pad life in the winter.

They also weigh considerably less than the big brand rotors.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I’ve got some of the light ashima rotors on my race wheels. I only use them for gorrick races.

Even so the front seems to have bent easily, they lacked a bit of power (which I wasnt that bothered about at the gorricks) and they seem to wear down the pads easily.

I’ve changed to hope floating rotors even on my race wheels.

njee20
    Free Member

I trashed my Hope floating rotors in a wet Gorrick, and they were crap, never straight.

Now use KCNC on my race wheels, cheap, light(er than Ashima), work fine. Can’t tell the difference compared to the Avids on my ‘normal’ wheels.

FOG

What about the new Ashima pistonless brake calipers? Anybody tried them? It seems a good idea as I spend at least 2-3 evenings over the winter unsticking pistons.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

The hope floating seem to have held out for me, but time will tell. A wet gorrick can be a nightmare for your brakes.

jambon
    Free Member

Anyone tried Shimano rotors with Avids? The posh ones on Merlin with the separate spider look good and are cheaper than the Avid Elixirs.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Anyone tried Shimano rotors with Avids?

Yup – some old 160 deores were fine 🙂

Keef
    Free Member

got a pair of used but good Avid clean sweep G2,203mm rotors here,£25 posted,if you want them ?
    email in profile.
    cheers.

motivforz
    Free Member

I put a 203mm Ashima on the front when i went up from 160mm to increase power. At first it was ruddy awful, sent massive vibrations up through the fork under braking. Checked the installation and everything was fine. It has reduced over time but is still present under particularly heavy braking. Personally I wouldn’t buy them again, I’d get something else, although I’ve only had the Avids prior to this so can’t recommend anything else.

cp

Jambon – I have a pair of 203mm Avid discs, perfectly true, very little use. I can also include front and rear adaptors for them if needed. Email me (email in profile) if you’re interested and I’ll send pictures.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Need to be careful with that though. My XT rotors won’t spin in my Elixir 5 calipers as the spider is too chunky.

burmaboy
    Free Member

Used my ashima airos for two week long alp trips and megaavalanches. Not one issue. Tonnes of stopping power . Still straight and I’ll use em again next year., run 203 front 180 rear. Super light and very good.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup RT76s & j3s. Pads need the tab removing otherwise most excellent.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i have 2x 160mm ashima rotors for sale if you are interested?
    they were on my singlespeed so no hard use £25 posted

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i had a 203mm, bloody light, breaked extremely well but i had to take it off because it sent the fork into a massive flex/judder nightmare everytime i braked. never had it with any other rotor!

daznal
    Free Member

Dont they have the super slippy gold coating?seems the wrong thing to put on rotors

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Don’t think they have a super slippy gold coating??????

I’ve had 160mm F+R, 180mm F+160mm R and now 200mm F + 180mm R. No issues with any set up when using with Formula calipers, Shimano or Avid calipers.

I’ve had more pulsing and “squawking” noises from Avid Elixir calipers on Formula (standard) rotors than I’ve ever had from Ashima rotors.

specialknees
    Free Member

They are fine but MUST be fitted the correct way round.

Some older rotors had the arrow facing the wrong way stamped on i.e different direction to all other directional rotors.

Mount them in the conventional maner and they are fine, light too.

There was a post on here a few months ago odf a colapesed one, fitted wrong way round.

daznal
    Free Member

Sorry misread post thought it said kashima.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ashima Rotors – any good?’ is closed to new replies.