Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Arthritic fingers+riding
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

Finding the fingers on my right hand (all broken some multiple times and dislocations over the years)are getting very painful in particular for biking my index finger top joint is badly affected/mis-shaped. Now I know that there are lots of old STW’ers out there that must have similar problems and I am looking for solutions/ideas as to how to support the joint so that I can still index finger brake and not be in too much pain after a descent. I have tried middle finger braking and found that on severe terrain my grip is affected on the bars.
    Would some zinc tape support the joint enough for instance or some sort of compression gloves/finger strap?
    Failing that I will just MTFU and get on with it and if needs be carry some pain killers for when it gets too bad.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Get yourself some finger putty and strengthen the muscles that you need to use to brake. Other option is to move the brake in a bit and tape your index and middle fingers together.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have moved the brake inboard by another couple of cm to increase leverage on the lever and decrease stregth required. Have googled some of the finger supports but they all seem to support the middle joint and its the top joint thats shot and needs the support.
    Bit concened that taping the two fingers together may lessen my bar grip even more than middle finger braking.
    May try some 50mm wide sports zinc oxide tape at Degla to see if it helpsor infact makes things worse.
    Tis a bugger getting old sometimes 😥

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I use narrow stuff to support my fingers. Seriously though look to strengthen them if possible.

Suggsey
    Free Member

May get some finger putty too for those bored moments at work then.

wpuk
    Free Member

…..you don’t have muscles in your fingers, you have have tendons, strengthening your forearms won’t do anything for your finger joint pain.

If you truly have arthritis look into changing you’d diet, I’m the last one to recommend hippy crap but it’s proven to have very beneficial results, basically need to eat foods to alter the ph of your blood, which you won’t like as with all stuff it means cutting out crap and eating bland

Suggsey
    Free Member

The joint in question is osteoarthritis from repeated breaks/injuries but has got really bad in the past twelve months as the joint has got more and more deformed. Dietry wise diabetic, asthmatic so avoid alot of the foods that aggravate the condition anyway-especially red wine 😛
    help that all of the above have been gentically handed down to me by my parents either.
    Now then, Copper bracelets with magnets………..

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Suggesey – you tried avoiding all alcohol? Radical I know – but it seems to help.

wpuk
    Free Member

Finger joint replacement, you’ll probably have to lay it on thick with your GP and then the consultant your referred to…… affecting quality of life, it’s stopping you from being active, it’s getting you down

If your relatively young and they agree to go through with the op, push for a ceramic joint

5thElefant
    Free Member

My father has the same problem so I fitted some shimano 4-finger brakes (I think they called them trekking brakes?). They let him transfer the braking force to his outer fingers. Obviously that limits your grip/speed.

anotherstan
    Free Member

Now then, Copper bracelets with magnets………..

you may mock, and it may be all in my head, but a copper bracelet works wonders for me!
    give one a try, what’s a fiver these days?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have a fiddle with the reach on the brakes – surprisingly having them a long way from the bar is worth a try as this means you are braking with the finger not bent much at all. This is how I set mine up to take the strain off my fingers – works for me. I do use middle finger braking however.

Try rotating the levers up and down on the bar and with the reach set really close as well

Bernaard
    Free Member

As you always say to me. MTFU or it could be your age 8).

Try the reach too.
    See you in the morning

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Arthritic fingers+riding’ is closed to new replies.