• This topic has 54 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Army at Mayhem
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Taliban isn't a 'Army' is it? We didnt' train the Taliban, we train the Mujahideen. They were trained in guerrilla warfare.

Really?

Are you sure…

br
    Free Member

All the way to page 2, and nobody has mentioned these guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Modern_Parents

monkeychild
    Free Member

This is pure comedy.

Jamie
    Free Member

@ b r

Unfortunately Viz is not quite the cultural touchstone it once was.

thepodge
    Free Member

Quick question, does the armed forces have the highest mortality rate of any occupation?

Its not a troll, I'm genuinely curious as I'm guessing that although their deaths are clearly bad, statistically I'm guessing its fairly low for the number of people enrolled

Oh and I think enticing kids in with fake guns is a bit below the belt, they should be targeting (no pun intended) people above enlisting age

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

US rather than uk but interesting

job death rates

Pilots is worring, didn't think that many plans came down.

br
    Free Member

Quick question, does the armed forces have the highest mortality rate of any occupation?

You would think so.

Interesting stat – in the 1st Gulf War the Americans found that soliders there were at a lower risk than their previous postings (barracks, Germany etc). Mainly due to less suicide and road accidents I believe.

And wherever the forces are on active duty, the real mortality is usually felt by the civilians…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian_casualties_of_the_War_in_Afghanistan_(2001%E2%80%93present)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War

TooTall
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    Oh and I think enticing kids in with fake guns is a bit below the belt, they should be targeting (no pun intended) people above enlisting age

You know what? I think they were. Mayhem isn't advertised on Mumsnet or inviting schools to submit teams, so they probably were targeting those in the right age bracket.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

i've been in the army a while, and i'm fine, got a good trade, good income, lifestyle etc, however yes you have to go to afhanistan, but of the people i know well who have been killed in the army, most of them were in RTAs or doing sports in their own time.
    quote from bbc this morning: 'Some 34 of the 300 deaths have been from accidents, illness or non-combat injuries'

cakefest
    Free Member

I'm sure the advertising/recruitment drive wasn't 'intentionally' aimed at kids, but there's no harm in sewing a few seeds while the sun is shining, as our recruitment consultant poster earlier would surely know about.

Perhaps I'm putting my 5 year old in a bubble to a degree, at the moment/for now. I feel like I want to protect him a bit from some of the harsher realities of life. At the moment at his age I don't particularly want to show him any p*rnography, or tell him that my mum died from the ravages of lung/brain cancer fairly soon after my dad suffered from depression after he was let go by his firm when he turned 62. He'll hear those stories, and find out what goes on in some of the darker places and times, in a while.

But just for this weekend it would have been better, given the huge number of young kids that were there supporting/sharing/enjoying Mayhem with their families and riding parents, to promote the Army in a different way, or even not at all.

cookeaa

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

My favourite has always been;
    “You climb like old people ****!”
    Could have used that sort of motivation this weekend…

thepodge
    Free Member

TooTall, I took from the OP that the kids were around the same age as his lad, 5 years old

hora
    Free Member

You know what? I think they were. Mayhem isn't advertised on Mumsnet or inviting schools to submit teams, so they probably were targeting those in the right age bracket.

Surely circa 40yr old middle-class Anglosaxon's is alittle too old as well? 😆

but there's no harm in sewing a few seeds while the sun is shining, as our recruitment consultant poster earlier would surely know abou

Theres young and theres too young!

TooTall
    Free Member

Suggest you take your problem up with the Mayhem team – I very much doubt the recruiters turned up because a crowd was forming.

hora
    Free Member

Luckily the American's didn't spot a crowd forming.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Army at Mayhem’ is closed to new replies.