Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Armoured lecky cables – can they be 'joined' again after interface with spade?
  • cb

Having fence replaced and the guys have put a spade through the armoured cable leading to the kids playhouse. Obviously “they didn’t do it” and it was purely a coincidence that the electric tripped in the house at the same time….

However, does this need a complete re-install or is it OK to re-join the cable and re-bury it? They knew it was there by the way…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Armour cant have been very good if a spade went through it.

footflaps

If it was a 415v mains cable in the street, they’d join it live, standing on a rubber mat, using a LV repair junction box which is then filled with resin to seal it all in.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yes armoured cable can be joined, you just need the right bits. I don’t know whether Screwfix sell them, I expect so. If not TLC do but they may only exist in the South East.

Are you sure you have armoured cable though, a spade shouldn’t go through it without having multiple goes at it.

cb

Thanks – should do the job!

marcus7
    Free Member

that must have been some spade…. you can re join it bit youll prob need more cable as you wont be able to make up the ends without cutting it back so in fact you need two joins. assuming its single phase (as its going to a playhouse then it wont be massive. nip down to your local wholesale place (neweys, edmunsons etc) and give them the spec of the cable and you should be able to get a splicing kit. if you are not sure then get a spark in…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

that must have been some spade….

You’d be surprised.

We had some contractors putting fencing up round the quarry, they’d done it all properly, looked at the plans for cables, used a scanner, the lot, but one of those post hole diggers (Like this – http://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/library/product/large/04/040211517.jpg ) went straight through the main supply cable to our sub-station(We use a LOT of electricity!) and knocked us right out.
    That was a chunky old cable, that.
    They joined it.

marcus7
    Free Member

I guess with enough force and a good edge! I always find it a faff to cut through armoured!…well neatly anyway btw PP what did the post hole digger look like afterwards and the bloke using it!?!

saladdodger
    Free Member

use you can repair the cable

What you need is call a “birket Joint” any wholesaler sell them

stylish
    Free Member

The humble spade has earnt me many a pound over the years, its surprising how little effort it takes to cut through a cable, armoured or un-armoured…..

When you do the repair, make sure everything is nice and clean, as if you use a resin filled joint, any crud where the water seal is will just let moisture in, and in a few years you will be digging it up again and starting all over again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Armoured lecky cables – can they be 'joined' again after interface with spade?’ is closed to new replies.