Viewing 11 posts - 201 through 211 (of 211 total)
  • Are the Tories OK after all?
  • grantway
    Free Member

Maybe your all getting sucked in so developers will start to build on the Country side.
    Think we should be able to buy run down/vacant housing if we see it vacant and buy
    at a reasonable cost.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Personally, I think we need a lot more ‘DIY’ build schemes, where people have a hand in the construction of their own homes which they can then actually afford to buy, but even this is fraught with difficulty, as it limits the involvement someone in full time work or with any physical problems can have in the construction.

And I doubt there’s much profit, if any, in such schemes….

project
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Plus the cost cost of repairs to council accommodation is very high and on a constant
    repair due to classy tenants.

And cos local authorities scrapped maintenance depts in favour of using private contractors (back in the Thatcher years), the standard of repair has dropped significantly, as LAs are forced to use the cheapest contractors they can get, who are very often unconscientious shysters who bodge things so badly they need sorting again very soon.

Things improved somewhat with the influx of FOREIGNERS TAKING OUR JOBS who mostly do a decent job for very reasonable rates, but most of them seemed to have buggered off again, sadly, leaving us with greedy Bodgit and Leggit MANAGEMENT who shoon’t be left in charge of a teaspoon, let alone PUBLIC HOUSING

Posted 26 minutes ago # Report-Post

There fixed it for you……..

Kevevs
    Free Member

bloody foreigners etc….

grantway
    Free Member

Effin I’ve lived in Tower Hamlets for 27 years and the councils have did very little repairs
    In Bromley By Bow where I lived and through to the Area where you are in Poplar as
    I was at Langdon Park School.
    in which very little repairs to the area has lead to what you are seeing including in the council
    buildings you are in.

The poor workmanship in your place is more likely from ex council tenants whom
    never had the money to do them to a craftsmanship level

Regarding HA are you talking about HARCA though’s that robbed moneys off of ex council
    tenants whom had bought there council properties and charge them over the odd prices
    for works carried out on council properties.
    Reason I say the above my parents had hell with constant charges from HARCA
    in there ex council place on Patrick Connelly Gdns left of Bromley By Bow station.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Through my involvment with the local HA and through converstaions with local tenants, this is actually due to poor standard of materials and workmanship, and in fact a lack of basic regular maintenance by the HA and private landlords.

I’m sure our good friend TJ might wish to take the opportunity to interject with his feelings on Local Authorities ability to intervene in standard of materials and repair of private buildings 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m sure our good friend TJ might wish to take the opportunity to interject with his feelings on Local Authorities ability to intervene in standard of materials and repair of private buildings

The opinion of a medical professional would indeed matter in this instance.

So, in summary –
    For the Leftie mob, even in the Conservative party bent to their every whim, they are not “OK after all”
    For everyone else, they might be, dependent on the policy in question.

So, that’s that then.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

For everyone else, they might be, dependent on the policy in question.

Really Flashheart ? ……..your support for the Tory Party is solely “dependant on the policy in question” ? How terribly fair and open-minded of you. I’m staggeringly surprised to hear you say that.

So anyway Flashheart, enlighten us further and list all the Tory policies which you are opposed to.

And you could make the whole experience even more enlightening by also listing all the Labour Party policies which you like and support……….you great big hunk of open-mindedness.

mcboo
    Free Member

I would bin Trident. That’s libdem not labour, but never going to be Tory policy. Over to you, give us a Tory policy you support.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The poor workmanship in your place is more likely from ex council tenants whom
    never had the money to do them to a craftsmanship level

Yeah there’s a few places like that, but the general standard of workmanship in places that have bin done up more recently, new kitchens, double glazing etc is piss poor. IME the standard of work in council places used to be a lot better before the maintenance was contracted out.

The poor standard of workmanship in my place is cos my landlord (who’s never lived here, just bought to let) did the cheapest, shoddiest job possible, and employed clueless cowboys to do stuff. Still, means I can sometimes get a couple of hundred quid knocked off me month’s rent when I have to ‘fix’ something. 😉

Regarding HA are you talking about HARCA though’s that robbed moneys off of ex council
    tenants whom had bought there council properties and charge them over the odd prices
    for works carried out on council properties.

This is what happens when social housing falls out of LA control. HAs like HARCA are mainly rubbish. Loads of cosmetic stuff like painting outside buildings, doing up flower beds etc, but little else, and too much corruption and backhanders going on.

Anyone buying ex-council in an area like this, speshly if it’s run by a HA, is mad imo. My LL’s already in negative equity with this place, and his mortgage is massive. Oh well. Not my problem, it’s the private sector, it’ll have to sort itself out…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mcboo – Member

I would bin Trident. That’s libdem not labour, but never going to be Tory policy. Over to you, give us a Tory policy you support.

Thank you mcboo, but in case it wasn’t obvious by the fact that I mentioned his name twice, my question was directed at Flashheart – in reference to the comment he made, not you.

I have no idea whether or not you support all Tory Party policies, and if you don’t, I’m hardly likely to be “staggeringly surprised” by that. You are after all not Flashheart.

Mind you I’m still waiting for Flashheart’s reply…….do you think I’ll have to wait long ? I thinking I probably will have to.

As far as my opinions, which apparently you’re interested in, is concerned, I will point out that I have not answered the OP’s question, choosing instead to concentrate my comments on the Tory Party by singing the praises of a former Tory prime minister.

Having said that, I came to a definitive conclusion with regards to my political ideology many years ago in my teens, the years have merely reinforced these conclusions and deepened my understand, I am not open to persuasion. And my ideological commitment is completely at odds with the modern Tory Party, as their ideological commitment is of course with me. I do not claim to be “open-minded”.

Although it has be said that I respect the Tories more than I do New Labour.

But if you want one example of a Tory government policy which I have supported then the one that always comes to mind was the kick starting of the peace process in NI. It was exceptionally brave and politically risky of John Major to be the first PM to talk to the IRA, but it paid off – although New Labour mostly received the credit for it.

There are other policies – basically anything which has benefited ordinary working people, but for obvious reasons they are extremely rare. And any benefit to ordinary people has tended to be by accident rather than design.

Viewing 11 posts - 201 through 211 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘Are the Tories OK after all?’ is closed to new replies.