Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Are the shock bushings gone?
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

After recently borrowing my brothers Trek EX9 Evo recently I’ve found out there’s a whole host of problems gone ignored by him.

He has an RP23 on a 2008/9 Trek EX9 Evo, there is a slight movement when picking the bike up by the saddle, the movement comes from this area so I presume its bushings needed?

On that note, I have access to lots of workshop tools but not specifically bushing related, will I need a specific fitting tool or can it be done with care and a vice etc?

Thanks

RustyMac

You could probably do it with care but the correct tool is not that expensive in comparison to a new shock.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/Miscellaneous/Mount-Kits-and-Bushings/Eyelet-Bushings

The one i have is like the TF tuned one, I use it in conjunction with a vice to press the bushing out and the new on in.

BETD also do one but is a little more expensive

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=96&Name=Shock+Tool

and there is also this one which you can use without the need for a vice

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOX-SHOCK-BUSHING-TOOL-Fox-bush-tool-KaTec-bikes-/140587185644?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item20bba635ec

danjthomas
    Free Member

you need a new DU bearing, not the bushing. I have had to change this 3 times no my shock now. Its in there tight so take it to a local shop. it cost me a fiver last time but take the shock off yourself.

dantsw13

Yes, that definitely sounds like shock bushings. Might also be worth checking your bearings are not loose.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

So to solve all possibilities is it worth just purchasing a mount kit?

Speshpaul

You can get by with a selection of sockets to push the DU out of the shock. But a proper tool is always a bit easier.
    I’m a big fan of the BETD Hula hoops instead of DU’s seem to last longer IME.
    You can always put a couple of turn of PTFE around the Bushing to tighten up the fit, top bodge 😉 if nothing else it will tell you whether the Du is worn.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>specific fitting tool or can it be done with care and a vice etc?<

Yup, if you’ve got a good set of deep thin walled sockets there will be on ein there that will push it out (you need a bigger socket on the back of the eyelet to push it out through) Easily done with a bit of care and you can use the vice to pop the new one back in.

These wee tools are good though – I ended up buying one myself. The heavy duty mount kits usually extend the life of the bush.

RustyMac

The mount kit (top hats) will not come with the tool to remove the old bushing so you will just be in the same place you are now.

The first thing to do will be remove the shock from the frame and take a look at the bushings – remove shock, remove mounting hardwear (top hats) and inspect for wear. The bushings are designed as wear items so there is a good chance if the movement is minimal this will be the problem. The mount kit will hopefully be in good condition and can be re-used. Spend £25-30 on a tool and bushes and it’ll be good as new.

While the shock is out of the bike check for any play in the bearings. To do this cycle the rear end through its travel and check it moves freely/smoothly. Then grab the back end of the bike with one hand/arm and the front with the other and push and pull the rear of the bike to see if you have any lateral play (you may almost need to cuddle the bike to get a good grip).

If the rear of the bike feels stiff to move some of the bearings may be seized if you have lateral play first check every bolt is done up correctly and if so one or more of the bearings may have failed.

woody2000

I bought one of these tools from stephenscycles

Works well, and at £12 (including a pair of new bushes) it’s cheaper than the tools from elsewhere.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the BETD Hula hoops instead of DU’s seem to last longer IME

I’ve replaced the lower shock bushing a couple of times using sockets and a vice. Vice also pushes the new one in fine.

Get the BETD strong bushing and hula hoop. Lasts 4x the normal top hats which don’t engage the whole width of the bush

kayak23

I pushed out the old eyelet bushing with the new one using a larger dia socket in a vice then squeezed the old one out carefully into the socket with the new one.

I bought a heavy duty mount kit from TF last time. Lasted a while.
    Trying an offset bush this time to slacken the Reign.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help, will have a good inspection of it!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Are the shock bushings gone?’ is closed to new replies.