Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Are old people getting ruder these days?
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

xmas shopping today in brighton, and being a nice chap I always make sure I hold doors open for people, let elderly people in before me at cash points etc. just the decent thing etc.

Now i reckon I might have had 10 or so of these instances where I did this sort of thing today, and not one person said thankyou or even smiled at me. I even got a bit of scowl off one old dear.

so:

A)did I just have a bad day down the shops when everyone is just trying to get the xmas shopping over with

B)are old people being poisoned by the daily hate mail so much that they darn't talk to people under 40 wearing a hoody in case we commit some knife crime on them

C)or are the good old days of people being polite (of any generation) over.

D)or, am I being too sensitive?

gut feeling is it's a mixture of B and D. I hope.

colnagokid

rude people are getting older

carlosg
    Free Member

IMO despite the 'things weren't like this in my day' lines that a lot of older people spout a great deal of them are rude beyond imagination.
    A few weeks ago I was in the queue at costco and felt a nudge from a trolley ,I ignored it but it was followed by another 2 harder shoves , turned round to be facing a 70(ish) year old , I told him loudly that 'excuse me' was the normal request when polite people wished to get past ,all he did was mumble and groan . Good for him he wasn't 20 years younger or his wife would've been picking him off the floor.

jj55

We are……. beware!

nickc

Pushing an elderly friend around town a few months ago, some scaffolding meant we had to wait for a space in the pavement, we waited for a few minutes whilst a succession of self important older folk juts ignored us, and it was a couple of hoody teenagers who eventually let us through, and they were tutted at by an elderly couple behind them…

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Everybody is getting ruder.

gusamc
    Free Member

experiments with rats show that if you have a few rats, plenty of space and enough food you have happy contented rats. Xmas shopping is lots of rats, limited space and not enough time.

I'll have to adjust soon, going home to see parents in rural Scotland, it's frightening, complete strangers speak to you in the street and pubs as well.

re age – top tip from an old person (*my mum).
    Young people today have so many labour saving devices it's awfully funny how they don't have enough time to talk …….

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

eye the world has gone to shit and old people are pretty rude. i hate that when you hold the door and no thanks…………….

epicyclo

Do you lot must live in England?

luke
    Free Member

some old scroat tried to mow me down whilst i was crossing the road on a zebra crossing earlier today.
    I think he'll have appreciated me banging his windows and kicking the rear wing with my steel toecaped boots, may be he'll stop next time.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

darn't talk to people under 40 wearing a hoody in case we commit some knife crime on them

tempting though isn't it ?

surely it's a natural consequence of being ancient, I mean, even if you get killed it's a result really…

project
    Free Member

Strangely,it appears to be teenagers and 20 somethings who seem to be more polite nowadays,earlier this month on a cycle track,every single person i passed i said hello,or thankyou if they moved over to let me cycle past,not one acknowledged me.

Further on ther was a bridge with a large gang of teenagers sitting under it,just chatting etc,blocking the route,so as i approached slowed down and shouted out quite mildly,(there where a lot of them),could i get past please,to which they all parted like,the Dead Sea for Moses,i said thanks lads and girls.

To which the biggest lad ,shouted back,thanks Matey,youre thre first one to say please and show us some respect,unlike the old guy who hit us with his stick as he walked past,and threatened us with the Police.

swamp_boy

Heard a while ago in a supermarket after an old biddy had barged past a mother and small kid.

"Mummy, why is that old lady so rude and why does she smell of wee?"

Coyote
    Free Member

To which the biggest lad ,shouted back,thanks Matey,youre thre first one to say please and show us some respect,unlike the old guy who hit us with his stick as he walked past,and threatened us with the Police.

And that's because the Daily Hate fills pensioners with fear thinking that everyone under 21 is a violent thug.

project
    Free Member

Next time when in a bank,supermarket,shop etc,have a look who is making a fuss,stamping feet,coughing etc,when theyre in a queue.

Its usually the old bastard in the queue,wearing trainers and loudly talking into a mobile phone as if theyre talking to someone on the mon,without the use of the phone.

Over 50,s should be banned from all shops,post offices and Banks at busy times.

pennine
    Free Member

Over 50,s should be banned from all shops,post offices and Banks at busy times

That's me told then

jj55

….. me to 😥

project – i didn't see you standing behind me

legend76
    Free Member

oh yeah old people are the most rudest i come across and they smell!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Over 50,s should be banned from all shops,post offices and Banks at busy times.

Ahem. I am considerably over 50 yet still able to behave myself (marginally at least) and I can still control my bladder (as I believe can Pennine*)

* though perhaps the smell of wee is masked by the poo he gets splattered in ?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

But you can't control your camera around young women Simon! 😛

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

But you can't control your camera around young women Simon!

a) there's no age discrimination
    b) the shots are often perfectly exposed (geddit ?) and non-shakey :o)
    c) women, yum!

taxi25
    Free Member

Its nothing new, been going on for years.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Are old people getting ruder these days?’ is closed to new replies.