Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Are Carrera frames made by Kona?
  • merlinshearer
    Free Member

Have heard a rumour that Carrera frames made by Kona – any one know anything about it? Truth or Lies?

Houns

Kona don’t have their own frame building factory.

I do know who makes Carrera frames

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

nope basic catalogue frames, see the same drop outs on loads of cheap frames, ribble are doing a cheap MTB frame that looks like a Carrera one

Houns

They’re not off the shelf catalogue frames

merlinshearer
    Free Member

ok so who does make the Carrera frames then?

uplink
    Free Member
    Houns

A big Taiwanese factory who also make frames for quite a few other brands. Sorry that’s all i can say

Northwind

jumpupanddown – Member

the same drop outs on loads of cheap frames

The dropout’s a mass produced seperate part, doesn’t tell you anything about the frame (same part appears on some Genesis frames frinstance, such as the Abyss) I doubt they’re catalogue frames.

Carrera frames used to be made by Merida, not sure if that’s still the case though.

merlinshearer
    Free Member

@Houns – take it you are “on the inside” and you would have to kill me if you told me 😉

uplink
    Free Member

houns means Specialized

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

merida

Houns

Lets just say i saw the tech drawings for the current range sometime last year 😉

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Ribble frame

Halfords one

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Cheap nasty junk any way

yunki
    Free Member

the jackson 5

xherbivorex
    Free Member

houns is referring to ryan giggs, he’s just too scared to name him cos of that super injunction thingy.

codybrennan
    Free Member

jumpupanddown – Member

Cheap nasty junk any way

Cobblers.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Merida make* the Carrera Frames, aswell as many others.

*Owns the factory,

Northwind

jumpupanddown – Member

Cheap nasty junk any way

Mince.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mince as in mince meat….or as in mince pies?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Most bikes you see are made either by Merida or Giant. I think Merida still supply Carerra.

ton

flash is correct…………..again 🙄 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s not THAT rare, big man! 😆

merlinshearer
    Free Member

merlinshearer
    Free Member

ok so how do you add photos to this thread?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Without the spaces.

merlinshearer
    Free Member

merlinshearer
    Free Member

Cheers C’pn – cannot get it to work though 🙁

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Merida definitely used to make them, I heard a whisper that the arrangement broke down a while back – could be a Chinese whisper though..

I love my Carrera Vanquish.

Bar the paint job exactly the same as one of the Merida road bikes

merlinshearer
    Free Member
    nmdbase
    Free Member

They aren’t made by Merida anymore

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

A shop I was in during the summer told me that Merida make Specialized frames. Not sure if thats true or not and to be honest, I couldn’t care less.

iain1775
    Free Member

I knock them up in my shed
    Its a slightly bigger shed than Brants

edhornby

I had an 09 fury, it was ace. It wasn’t a flyweight but I didn’t expect it to be, it was a very capable all rounder and the adjustable fork was a real boon. £400 WIN

Brant saw it at a HtN and said ‘is that one of the original scandals?’ 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sorry that’s all i can say

Pft. It’s not that big a secret. You make it sound like it’s some sort of hush-hush covert operation, probbly to make yourself feel more important. 🙄

Carrera is just a braynd name coming out of some enormous factory complex in Taiwan somewhere. As are most bikes. Merida is the parent company. They just get stickered up into different brands, and sold at various price points and in various markets. Carrera is a brand sold in the UK by Halfords, but the very same bikes, albeit in different colour schemes and branding, are sold all over the World. Often in the equivalent of Halfords type shops. In Spain they are branded as Merida. I know this as I have seen identical frames in the two brands.

Carrera are loads better value for money than a lot of other brands; just as good quality (built in the same factories ffs!), but because they’re not a trendy ‘niche’ brand, they don’t command rip-off prices. The fact that Halfords’ bike building and ‘servicing’ is very hit and miss will put off a lot of people, but if you know what you’re doing with tools, then they can be utter bargains. Every bit as good as stuff costing twice as much.

PaulD off here rides an old Carrera, and believe me, he will rip most of your legs off on it. 😀

The Boardman bike range is an ‘upmarket’ Merida brand. Merida also own a chunk of Specialized.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Cheap nasty junk any way

You know absolutely bugger all, don’t you? Bless.

Here is a lady who would rip your legs off on a bike ride:

deviant
    Free Member

Shush now Elfinsafety….that kind of talk upsets people around here who like to believe their mega expensive frame came from a super exclusive factory that isnt the same factory putting out bargain Carrerras!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Heh! I know it does. 😀

Truth is, the big companies like Spesh, Trek, Giant, Merida etc are churning out some of the best bikes you can buy. They have huge R+D budgets, sponsor pro race teams worldwide, and have a wealth of experience of designing and building bikes that some of the more ‘niche’ brands can only dream of.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

A V – Brake Vulcan changed my life.

First bike.

Last May.

Thankyou Halfords.

One day when i’m mechanically gifted I’ll do something daft with the frame.

Now I have sexy Inbred because I killed Spock.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Merida is the parent company.

Wrong, used to be, isn’t now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Are Carrera frames made by Kona?’ is closed to new replies.