Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Are braided hoses really worth it?
  • sparkingchains
    Free Member

Going to fork out for some new Hopes, going to get the floating rotors but uncertain about the hoses. Braided weigh more, might not fit in the hose guides that well… do they really perform that much better under heavy braking?

simon1975

I went through a phase of wrecking normal hoses in crashes because they kink and start to leak. Upgraded to braided which haven't failed me yet. And they look the business too 😉

Didn't really notice much difference in power though, the rear will always have a bit more sponge in it than the front due to the extra hose length.

simon1975

PS. I also broke a floating rotor by dropping the bike onto a rock whilst trying to ride a step-up… I reckon a normal rotor may have survived… If you're as clumsy as me you might want to think about that!

jmann
    Free Member

yes….simple answer!!!

I used to have hope E4's…..a few years old a a bit battered…………got some Goodridge, bled her up and she felt amazing. A solid biting point, not massively heavier and in some cases its equal thicknes as existing plastic hose.

The hope braided hose is essentially goodridge, but they use a different set of connectors!

nickegg
    Free Member

I'd say if you're buying a complete kit then you may as well choose the braided option now as changing your mind later on will be more expensive and a pain.

The braided hose does make a difference but not a huge amount. Its certainly more durable and does look nicer IMO.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its also more flexible which makes hose routing easier and neater. The main benefit is the robustness and anti-kink though. IMO.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Yeah I did notice the standard Hope hoses are a bit thin compared to my old Hayes ones. I think you're convincing me to get em!

higgo
    Free Member

Looks: yes
    Robustness: probably
    Performance: placebo

I have braided hoses on most of my bikes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Looks: yes
    Robustness: probably
    Performance: placebo

Agreed

One thing to consider, if you ever swap them between bikes and you need a longer one, it will be expensive to replace.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

I went for floating rotors and standard hoses – no regrets!

giantjason
    Free Member

i have 2 sets of magura louise. One with braided hose and the other with standard hoses.

Whether is is just in my head or not but the braided hoses have a firmer feel to them. This of course could be because of many factors i am sure.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

I thought standard hose expanded even a tiny amount when used, with braided they dont expand as much due to the mesh weave = more power, ok not a lot but you dont get the spongy flex in the lever when you apply the brake. Personally i think they work a bit better and as others say in a crash they survive a lot better!

Junkyard
    Free Member

they dont break /kink but not sure if any more powerful

soobalias
    Free Member

RE: jmann.

if you change the hoses and bleed the system its not really a surprise the brakes felt firmer. but did you 'need' the braided hoses, or could you get away with a bleed?

get the braided ones to begin with.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Braided hoses will probably expand less and thus the lever will move less for th4e same amount of pressure. this will not effect ultimate power tho as the pressure at the caliper will remain the same. It will affect lever feel

HTTP404
    Free Member

Braided hoses will probably expand less

For the amount of pressure applied through the hose and the small amount of liquid in the hose itself I think that's dubious.

Any gains are aesthetic and placebo.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Are braided hoses really worth it?’ is closed to new replies.