Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)
  • Are birkenstock sandals…
  • headfirst
    Free Member

…acceptable on a man approaching forty, no socks involved of course.

Mainly for ‘evening wear’ on the summer holiday. Will be wearing flip flops (Havaianas to be precise) or barefoot through the day.

The other option being considered is deck shoes, but feet might be uncomfortably hot and sweaty in those.

Opinions please. (Let the flaming begin…)

soma_rich
    Free Member

My fiance is trying to get me to wear some, i’m not convinced look far too much like Jesus sandles for my liking. I want these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crocs-Santa-Cruz-Mens-Black/dp/B005502NQ4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1309031949&sr=8-5

binners

You’re questioning Birkenstocks, yet think deck shoes are acceptable?

Hmmmmmmmmm. Interesting. Will you be accessorising them with a cashmere jumper over your shoulders and a pastel polo shirt? 😉

You are Alan Partridge and I claim my £5

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you are nearing 40 years old you should know what you are comfortable wearing you big girl’s blouse.

😉

headfirst
    Free Member

oh dear soma they look a little bit special needs…

Binners, I’m lost for words for a witty comeback on that…get back to you soon…
    EDIT: soma, the brown ones look alright actually

big_scot_nanny

Ah, good old Nike Nazareths. 😀

If they are the basic 2 strap over the top of the foot model, it’s fine, anything with a strap round the heel is a definite no no.

away like the look of the ones that have like a ‘loafer’ front half myself, but can’t get my feet in in them.

Kev

Bunnyhop

My husband is fast approaching 40 and will not be allowed to wear flip flops or anything that resembles such footwear 😉

I also think men over the age of 50 who aren’t mtbers (‘cos they usually have a decent body) look bad in jeans.

Binners – you missed out action slacks.

molgrips
    Free Member

They are entirely acceptable, even cool. I need a new pair after I trashed my old pair pedalling with SPDs.

easygroove
    Free Member

birkenstocks are made for forty yr olds!!

oddjob
    Free Member

Don’t listen to them!

I am getting through my 3rd pair over the last 5 years or so. They are incredibly comfortable and I think they look fine both with shorts or rolled up jeans. For the record, I am 36.

headfirst
    Free Member

I think I’ll run any ideas past my 14 and 17 year old daughters before making a purchase, because they will have no choice in being seen out with me.

Binners, I’ll think you’ll find that deck shoes are de rigeur amongst the hip young things at the mo, darling

heywayne
    Free Member

I’m gonna throw Crocs into the equation.

I’m closer to 40 than I am 30, plus I’m a dad – I don’t care what’s acceptable anymore.

kimbers

yes, hideous, middle aged, middle class sandals

molgrips
    Free Member

What if you ARE middle aged and middle class? Surely wearing young person’s wannabe surfer flip flops is worse?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing Birkenstocks for about 20 years now, and I have absolutely no intention of stopping now I’m 40, no matter what anyone says.

The worst thing with men in sandals is the state of some of the feet you see. It’s not hard to cut your flippin’ toenails and scub the hard skin off! FFS sort it out! IMO the Government should introduce a ‘Sandal License’ and police it harshly! 🙂

headfirst
    Free Member

So bunnyhop, as a lady ( I presume), what would you suggest?

headfirst
    Free Member

What if you ARE middle aged and middle class?

Spot on, molgrips, spot on.

binners

I think its only fair to warn you about the…ahem… aroma that Birkenstocks tend to generate. I don’t know why. I don’t normally have mingy feet, but in those things? Think….

Mine generally have to live outdoors. They really are that bad!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hideous things for middleaged people who have given up( or are german). Nearly as bad as crocs

Flip flops are fine so ling as they are cheap far eastern rubber ones in a dark single colour.

headfirst
    Free Member

I’m now strongly leaning towards a pair like the ones on the right in this picture, 2 strap, no heel strap. I think they accurately represent where I am in my life.

finbar
    Free Member

Birkenstocks are fine, as long as you don’t get the ones with the thong.

Crocs? I.e. plastic shoes? Er, no.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think its only fair to warn you about the…ahem… aroma that Birkenstocks tend to generate. I don’t know why. I don’t normally have mingy feet, but in those things?

Really? It should be the exact opposite. Shoes make your feet sweat and pong, trainers are terrible for that. I once had some I had to chuck becasue they were HANGIN’ BAAAAD. Never with any sandals though. My feet just don’t smell.
    That said I’ve always been a barefoot person. No shoes in the house most of the time and sandals if I can possibly get away with it everywhere else. 🙂

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Binners Birks do get put outside of the door by me on a regular basis…..

molgrips
    Free Member

The problem with flip flops is the frigging noise 🙁

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I love the noise

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hideous things for middleaged people who have given up

Utter flippin drivel. I’m so glad I don’t take fashion advice from you. 😛

Or maybe you should try it! OK, what SHOULD I be wearing then?

Birkis like those above are a design classic.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

if my missus told me what i could/couldn’t wear i would tell her to bollox!! fortunately we are both adults and wear what we want to!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

if my missus told me what i could/couldn’t wear i would tell her to bollox!! fortunately we are both adults and wear what we want to!

Yup. Same here. 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Sandals look ridiculous on any bloke, being in the Roman army was the last time they were acceptable.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

PP – got your beige slacks to go with them? you know – the ones with the elasticated waist?

As I said – cheap far eastern rubber flip flops.

phil.w
    Free Member

no heel strap. I think they accurately represent where I am in my life

a little loose round the back end? 😯

heywayne
    Free Member

I’m waiting for someone to suggest those chuffing stupid plimsole things that seem to be de riguer at the moment, along with the elasticated hemmed trousers.

Chumps.

brassneck

Birkenstocks are a bit Teutonic for my tastes, but they’re better than those awful Croc things.. only surgeons should be seen in them.

Merrell sandals? They ming up a treat after 2 wears too.

EDITED for dreadful spelling faux pas

molgrips
    Free Member

TJ you are thinking of deck shoes, to go with the beige slacks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Deck shoes are fine worn in the right way 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – got your beige slacks to go with them? you know – the ones with the elasticated waist?

So you have no answer then? Not even anything ‘clever’ to say? Gotcha! 🙂
    For the record I don’t possess any beige trousers of any kind. I spend 90% of my time in shorts.

As I said – cheap far eastern rubber flip flops.

You havin’ a LAUGH?
    I’d rather buy Birkis made of natural materials, that last for years and can be repaired if necessary. Plus cheap flip flops don’t fit me. I have wide-ish feet and I always end up with my heel hanging off the inside of them. They are cheap crap for a reason…..

headfirst
    Free Member

Right, I’ve done it! Birkenstocks ordered as i meet (nearly) all the criteria:

birkenstocks are made for forty yr olds!!

tick

middle aged, middle class sandals

tick

cool

damned straight, daddio 8)

Carry on as you are…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Deck shoes are fine worn in the right way

And you like deck shoes? Slip ons for arthritic old farts?

Back atcha!

I rest my case m’lud.

EDIT
    Note the tucked in, checked (Probably from M&S) shirt. Niiiiiiiiiice!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have a pair of white brikos: hate me 🙂

Looks ace paired with my white panama and white sunnies.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Are birkenstock sandals…’ is closed to new replies.