• This topic has 42 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Are all baselayers created equal?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not that big on baselayers, usually go from a thicker single jersey to a thin jersey and thin jacket as the weather cools.

But I pick different baselayers for different jobs…

Patagonia capilene under a jersey for local MTB rides at this time of year.

Howies or Endura Merino under jersey and jacket for snowy winter Lakes expeditions.

Rapha Merino on road bike under jersey when it’s proper cold but dry.

rascal
    Free Member

Was pretty much driving past Aldi earlier so popped in…they had one left – thought for £7 I’ll give it a go. Gets it’s maiden (and possibly final) wear between Chatsworth and Loughborough this Sun…if it’s shit I’ll get the DHB one…cheers

benp1

I have loads now – vests, SS and LS, merino, blends (e.g. sportwool) and synthetic, all different types and brands. I’ve kept a few from when I was fatter, and have bought more now I’ve lost weight.

Cut is almost as important as material for me. Something figure hugging feels much warmer than something loose

Material weight also has an impact, obviously

I tend to wear merino for lower activity things. I also wear them for commuting as they don’t smell and it’s a shorter activity so I rarely get too sweaty. I do find they take a while to dry once wet

Synthetic is better for high output stuff, it dries out much quicker.

I’ve bought a Brynje mesh baselayer for a trip this weekend. Supposed to be warm, dry quick, and vent well. It’ll be low single figures celsius so I’m hoping this will do well

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Are all baselayers created equal?’ is closed to new replies.