Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Ardbeg Alternative
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Quite the fan of the Ardbeg 10YO – run out. What to replace it with? Something of a similar vein please.

Begin.

Mr_C
    Free Member

16yo Lagavullin.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I personally can't see past the 17 year old Ardbeg

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not too badly priced either, that's one on the list of possibles – thankyou.

Opt1cal – that's slightly out of my budget 😀 But thanks, I'll keep an eye out for a bargain!

wors

if its bargains you want lidl have a 12 yr old single malt, king remember the name. £15 and is v.nice too.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm looking for flavour over bargains, but I'm just not willing to sell a bike for it 🙂 Lidl under investigation now, out of curiosity

wors

i think it is called Ben Bracken.

grumm
    Free Member

Lagavulin 16 year old is lovely stuff. I'm quite fond of Laphroiag Quarter Cask as well – occasionally on offer in Booths or Sainsbury's.

Caol Ila is also nice for a slightly less smoky Islay whisky. Never particularly got on with Bowmore, Bruichladdich or Bunnahabhain. I want to like Bruichladdich cos they are independent/locally owned, and I went to a party at their distillery and it was ace, but I'm just not that into it.

organic355
    Free Member

BunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhainBunnahabhain MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

adstick
    Free Member

Laphroiag Cask Strength is normally under £30 at Asda. Very good whisky (if you like Islays) it's as good as anything I've tried under £100. It's not as medicinal as regular Laphroiag either.

elliptic
    Free Member

I personally can't see past the 17 year old Ardbeg

Still got a bottle of that stashed at the back of the cupboard 😀

I liked the turquoise Bruichladdich, more subtle than the Laphroaig/Lagavulin style – that's running out as well but any of their newer bottlings would be well worth a try.

Or (now we're talking) Talisker. The 10-year-old is always high on the list and their 20-year-old bottlings are just sumptous…

adstick
    Free Member

The 'new' Bruichladdich is much more Islay in style than the pre-reopening stuff that's been available the last few years. You should try it Grumm. It wasn't mature when we went to the distillery.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Another vote for Caol Ila – currently really enjoying a special 12 year old bottling but the 10/12 (can't remember is also good). Talisker is definitely worth trying – from Skye but subtle Islay style. Otherwise Bunnahabhain is good but a bit dependent on the bottling IMO

grumm
    Free Member

Hi Adam 😛

Laphroiag Cask Strength is indeed good, and if you put a splash of water in goes a long way – I once got a bottle of it for £22. 🙂

Will give the new (old) Bruichladdich a go

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Ardbeg Uigeadail

Puts hairs on your chest!

ransos
    Free Member

I'm quite fond of Laphroiag Quarter Cask

Me too, and they had it for about £22 in Sainsbury's. That said, a mate brought a bottle of Talisker 18 yo round that trounced all over the Laphroaig. It's a lot more expensive though, so not really a fair comparison.

grumm
    Free Member

Ardbeg Blasda is nice too – bit more refined/less peaty than the usual Ardbeg but still interesting.

StuF

Caol Ila – also peaty and a bit different

coffeeking
    Free Member

Now I'm torn!

In a thought of not straying too far from known ground I'd have gone with the laph, and going from many recommendations I'd have taken a talisker tipple. But the caol ila name kind of tugs with mystery.

grumm
    Free Member

Now I'm torn!

Cold and shamed lying naked on the floor? 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 not yet. Probably by the end of the month though.

Torn

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Ardbeg Uigeadail every time

sofaking
    Free Member

another vote for lagavulin 16 yr
    talisker distillers editon is nice too.
    tried some bruicladdich rum cask while at the distillery a few weeks ago and it was fantastic( there's an unopened bottle shouting at me from the book shelf as i type)

scotabroad

Talisker.

Different but try doublewood Balvenie.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Highland Park 12 year old from Orkney http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/whisky//

Haribo
    Free Member

another vote for ug a dall 🙂

tried this at whisky live and was literally blown away

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I bought a case of Arbeg 17 around 2001 and it worked out at £34.99 a bottle…I've been scooping it over the years like it's been going out of fashion. Just looked at the price and can't believe it's £189 a bottle now….I've a shitload of Rosebank in the garage as well….maybe this could fund a new bike build! 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

Can you get 16 year old Lagavulin again? It used to be impossible to get hold of, and I cleared a shops stock of it when I found some, if it's available again I can crack on with the two bottles in the cupboard.

Talisker is a good whisky, without being over the top for the 10 year old. I treat myself to a bottle of 20 year old in April, but haven't found a good enough occasion to crack the seal on it.

grumm
    Free Member

I bought some Lagavulin 16 not so long ago, can't remember where from. I believe there was a fire at the distillery and a load of it was destroyed 🙁

twohats
    Free Member

Smokehead is quite good, rumoured to be a young Caol Ila…

oomidamon

Damn it – wasn't supposed to be drinking tonight but now I've read this I'm getting thirsty….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

When I go to Fort Willy for my twice yearly visit I always get a bottle of Old Pulteney to last me each week.
    Nice, really.

Doug
    Free Member

I knew it was a mistake to read a Islay Whisky thread with a bottle of Laphroiag in the same room. 😉

Richie_B

Got a bottle of Serendipity waiting this weekend OK its a blend but if your going to slum it its the way to go. Otherwise any of the island malts (Not overly keen on Tobermorey) or like someone else said Balvenie for a change

r6ymy
    Free Member

Lagavulin 16 year old was my favourite whisky for several years, until I discovered Ardbeg. If you like Ardbeg I think you'll lke Lagavulin.
    I've never been a fan of Laphroaig, but as mentioned above Caol Isla 12 is very pleaseant.
    Have a look here for some more choices:
    http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/Producers.aspx

Gribs

I'm surprissed at the suggestion for caol ila as though I think it's lovely I really don't like Ardbeg. Laphroaig is somewhere between though I do like the quarter cask and I think Booths currently have it on offer. Talisker's on offer in Morrisions and quite nice too.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Ardbeg Alternative’ is closed to new replies.