Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)
  • Archbishop Rowan Williams
  • j_me
    Free Member

Nun of the above.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Nun of the above.

boom tish 😀

Gary Streeter was just on Radio 4 (my local my, woooh!) with his ‘Christian MP’s committee’ hat on, slinging mud back at the Archbishop. Weak party political response clearly directed by Cameron IMO.

clubber
    Free Member

find it funny that he’s complaining about things that weren’t voted for even if he does make some valid points. I look forward to him giving up the church’s seats in the lords.

richc
    Free Member

Heard Tony bLiar talking about this on radio 4, and his attitude seemed quite sensible insofar as, ‘why is this news? the church has always had opinions which they have voiced, which is their right the same as any other organisation/individual in a democracy’

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It disgusts me that there is such a thing as a Christian MP Committee.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Troublesome priest. That is very polite.

That man is a competent dickhead.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Why is he given so much airtime?

He might have some valid views on occasion but much of what he spouts is nuts. In any case, his voice should carry the same weight as anyone else’s.

We need a written doctrine of separation of church and state. Other religions and cults don’t have anywhere near as much of a voice in the mainstream media.

mcboo
    Free Member

Who voted for you Rowan? This guy believes in fairies at the bottom of the garden. Every time I hear an otherwise intelligent individual like Tony Blair declare religious belief I just honestly can’t believe it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Think he has a point dave does seem to think he has a mandate for all he does when in reality he does not and the LIB dems enable it. I always say a minority Tory govt could not be this right wing and all for a failed non PR reform vote.
    TBH I blame Clegg much more than Dave who is morally bankrupt and a really rubbish politician to boot. Dave is a Tory we shoould have expected this.

TheBrick
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    find it funny that he’s complaining about things that weren’t voted for

So do I as this is what has happened on every election. That is politics.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

It disgusts me that there is such a thing as a Christian MP Committee.

Local lore has it that the reason ‘Our Gary’ switched to conservatism from being an SDP councillor when he first stood for parliament so that he could do God’s work as quickly as possible, ie by joining the party which was most likely to have a parliamentary majority. The ironing of course being that he is still conservative despite not having a parliamnetary majority for nigh on 15 years. History points for first person to post who famously first ‘switched teams’ also for Jesus. 😀 {edited for historical accuracy, i always remembered him as a conservative coucillor round here when i was younger, forgot how recently it was he changed political flavour}

bikebouy
    Free Member

Each Man (or Woman) has the right to put forward thier voice and opinion.
    So you don’t care much for what he says, your choice. He does have many Millions of followers and the Guy isn’t speaking out of turn, whether you like/dislike/agree/disagree with the doctorine of his Church and his opinions and the Christian faith foundation on this society we live in.
    I’m glad the bloke stood up and questioned this Immoral society we’ve grown accustomed to.

rocketman
    Free Member

Somehow I read the title as Archbishop Rowan Atkinson…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is bike buoy being sarccy or do they mean that?

MSP

the doctorine of his Church and his opinions and the Christian faith foundation on this society we live in.
    I’m glad the bloke stood up and questioned this Immoral society we’ve grown accustomed to.

Society is immoral, and based on a foundation of christianity! Say’s it all really.

binners

Each Man (or Woman) has the right to put forward their voice and opinion.

In my opinion you immediately forfeit that right when you grow a beard

richc
    Free Member

No I don’t think so, and he has a point.

The Archbishop is the head of an an organisation, whose weekly meetings number around 350,000 UK citizens. So his opinion (which should be that of the organisation he is representing) does count for more than the average bloke in the street.

You may not like this fact, but it doesn’t stop it being true.

kimbers

while i dont agree with his stance on jesus h christ
    all of the points he makes are valid

although the nature of a coalition being what it is, especially betwen 2 parties of (supposedly) different sides of the political spectrum, it just makes it easier for politicians to be duplicitous

julianwilson
    Free Member

is the Archbishop bringing politix into religion better or worse than elected politicians who bring religion into politix? (i’m thinking US really rather than UK.)

We need a written doctrine of separation of church and state.

Alas, our constitution is all wrapped up. Queen chooses government, is head of armed forces and head of church of England. Parish councils divided by churches not population/demographics. And I just wouldn’t know where to start with the variety of reasons people are in the Lords. We would have to give up a great deal of what we as a nation are used to in order to effectivley separate church and state.

grum
    Free Member

I think he makes some good points tbh.

In the same edition of the New Statesman, chief Rabbi Jonathon Sacks wrote this

“A powerful store of social capital still exists. It is called religion: the churches, synagogues and other places of worship that still bring people together in shared belonging and mutual responsibility. The evidence shows that religious people – defined by regular attendance at a place of worship – actually do make better neighbours”.

“Religion creates community, community creates altruism and altruism turns us away from self and towards the common good.”

Now my instant lefty atheist knee-jerk reaction is to think – ‘screw you Jonathon Sacks, how dare you make out that religious people are superior’.

But I have started to wonder recently – I have many problems with organised religion, but maybe society does need a moderating force to encourage people to be less self-centred and materialistic, and more altruistic. I’d like to think people wouldn’t need this but maybe they do?

richc
    Free Member

Don’t you think that was always the point of of belief in God, if you think someone is watching you (and can punish you) you are less likely to act like a ****.

As for does GOD exists, personally I don’t know, but I do get hung up on if we are just a random occurrence as Atheists think, where is everyone else?

binners

I have many problems with organised religion, but maybe society does need a moderating force to encourage people to be less self-centred and materialistic

Religion as a moderating influence? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm…….

Handily this also re-enforces my earlier comment about people with beards 😀

Lifer
    Free Member

nickf
    Free Member

And just for balance…..

Lifer
    Free Member

This photo was taken last week in East Jerusalem, of young Jewish settlers mocking a Palestinian woman whose home is now occupied by Israelis. They came to the Arab neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah to celebrate Jerusalem Day in the face of those being displaced

http://notmytribe.com/2010/semite-v-east-jerusalem-anti-semites-817029.html

grum
    Free Member

Yeah you can provide extreme examples, but the majority of religious people have nothing to do with that surely? I dunno, I’m not saying I’m sure about it – I just wonder what is there left in society that goes against the might of advertising, big business etc that encourages us to be selfish materialistic arseholes.

Lifer
    Free Member

Thank the God(s) for their/his/it’s moderating influence, all over the world.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope I’m a hippy Athiest.

No sarcasm intended. I’m glad the head of “a” Church that represents a huge population is able to tell this Gov’t what it thinks, I’d be happy with any religion offering up their opinion too, but they don’t seem to do that in public. Other religions have tended to hold “talks” and offer up cohesive arguments behind closed doors with the Gov’t in power at the time and kept out of the way of the general public hearing about them, which is wrong IMHO.

Lifer
    Free Member

selfish materialistic arseholes.

Isn’t that a description of the Catholic Church?

grum
    Free Member

Isn’t that a description of the Catholic Church?

Yeah pretty much – ok for the sake of argument let’s say I’m just talking about the Church of England. 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

Which was formed out of one man’s selfishness!

richc
    Free Member

So you think you should throw all the good they do away, Christian Aid/Salvation Army, World Vision to name a few; because of a few nutters and Henry the 8th?

and they say Christians are nutters…..

grum
    Free Member

Which was formed out of one man’s selfishness!

Not really relevant now though is it.

Like I said, I am a firm atheist these days – I just think that society could do with more compassion, less materialism, more concern over social justice/equality etc etc. Those things were important in the brand of christianity I was brought up with and that many of my family still follow.

binners

Lifer
    Free Member

richc – Member
    So you think you should throw all the good they do away, Christian Aid/Salvation Army, World Vision to name a few, because of a few nutters, and Henry the 8th?

and they say Christians are nutters…..

Is charity the reserve of the religious now?

miketually
    Free Member

This guy believes in fairies at the bottom of the garden.

I’m pretty sure that he doesn’t. He wrote a letter to a six year old girl that might help you understand what he believes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Who voted for you Rowan?

He’s not in charge of the country so it doesn’t really matter.

Every time I hear an otherwise intelligent individual like Tony Blair declare religious belief I just honestly can’t believe it

Perhaps it’s time to learn something then?

richc
    Free Member

No but they seem to fund a hell of a lot more aid charities than any Atheist organisations.

So whilst Charity isn’t the sole reserve of Religion, Religion does seem to encourage charity, more than belief in oneself and nothing else.

totalshell

the guys only good telly cos of his wacky facial hair and his views are the same as the bbc’s ( never on the lead story on sky or itn is he)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Archbishop Rowan Williams’ is closed to new replies.