Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Approx cost for extension
  • theotherjonv

There’s a rough cost per sqm or something isn’t there. Looking possibly at a single storey ‘garden room’ – in my mind that’s not a conservatory but solid construction on the sides with then one of those fully opening glass fold back doors so in summer you can be completely open to the garden.

Anyone done similar / got any experience?

nickjb
    Free Member

Usually quoted as £1000/m2. A bit more for fancy spec, a bit less if you do some DIY. If it is actually a conservatory that’ll make quite a difference (You need a certain percentage of glass and external doors between it and the house)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have – can send you pics and my cost sheet on Monday if you want – brick built, slate roof, custom oak window frames etc and all structural work to make opening etc. Just don’t have access to the details today. It cost around £25k in total 2.5 years ago.

theotherjonv

yes pls m_f. How big for £25K

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s 12ft x 8ft – that cost included converting an understairs cupboard into a toilet, resiting of electric meter and furnishings too – will dig it all out Monday and email it – drop me an email so I have your addy ( my email in my profile)

totalshell

neighbour had exactly that built this summer 3m x 10m 20k. that is basic structure only glass, plastering inc but not heating or electrics and its rochdale pricing though so i would add a nice multiplyer for anywhere else in the developed world. considering i was quoted 3500 for a conservatory base and dwarf wall (4×5) i thought the 20k was great value.. remember… there is a recession

fenboy

you’ll struggle at 1000/sqm these days unless you’re looking at a builder who’s a mate or doing a lot of the work yourself.

budget for min 1500/sqm and you shouldn’t get any nasty surprises.

recession isn’t affecting building prices as materials etc all more expensive. Any contractors that are good are still busy! and remember what keith bontrager said which i vary for clients to be cost, time, quality generally pick two.

petey74
    Free Member

Mate, garden rooms cost a bomb :O

phil.w
    Free Member

So petey74, on a new account out of 6 posts you manage to get two links in to gardenlodges. Do you own the company or are you just paid to spam?

I guess you attempt to try and make it look half convincing as a real forum user is more effort then some people put in.

tomaso
    Free Member

Neighbour just had a brick/concrete extension with tiled roof thats about 10m2 built. Price for construction was £14k, but they had a seperate contract for glazing/doors and that cost doesn’t include the drawing up of the plans, planning application and building reg fees.

I am pondering the same thing but the big changes in cost will be down to the specifics or abnormals in your build/site. I’ve got weird levels and awkward access which could/will add a few grand.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

OP – mail me your details and I will fire this stuff across to you….

mk1fan
    Free Member

I’d BUDGET £35k for a room of about 15 sq m.

This should be sufficient to sort out statutory compliances and pay a builder to do the work.

If you haven’t got £35k then wait until you do OR you’ll need to start thinking about doing bits your self. Digging out strip foundation and castng the concrete your self isn’t hard but can save you a fair bit of money.

Taff
    Free Member

800-1000 per sq meter is about right or at least it is for most of my clients.

rkk01
    Free Member

I find it difficult to credit the 1000/ sq m rate. Seems high for a larger extension…? Economies of scale?
    S Wales might be a bit cheaper than some folks quoting home counties rates or so on.

We were thinking of a 2 storey add on to our house, 30-40 sq m per floor. Architect was having a laugh at 100-120k.

Taff
    Free Member

It does vary though, depends on competitive labour costs and finishes. Just done one that works out at 17m2 with green oak trusses. Another one that was simpler cost more again

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

OP I have emailed you that stuff – feel free to drop me a line if you have any further questions.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Approx cost for extension’ is closed to new replies.