Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Applying for jobs when you know you can't make the interview date?
  • oli31
    Free Member

OK or a no no?

Job is with a national park and mid level (i.e not CEO but not admin support either)

My thoughts are nothing to loose but when there’s an advertised interview date might it come across the wrong way?

MSP

Of course it’s ok, if they ask you to interview explain why you can’t make it then.

oli31
    Free Member

great thanks MSP, just the answer I was looking for!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a quick way to see how well your application faired. If they are keen on you no problem. If not then saved the hassle

cyclistm
    Free Member

I would mention in the covering letter something like, if successfully shortlisted I would be unable make the interview date

geoffj

I guess it depends on the reason. I was once recruiting for a similar level post in a similar organisation to the OP. One of the shortlisted said he couldn’t make the interview because it was on his birthday. 🙄

TBH, if you are really interested in the job, then there would have to be a very good reason why you couldn’t make the interview – I’m not sure being on holiday would be good enough.

PLUS if it’s for working in a NP, I suspect there’ll be a healthy list of applicants, given how many staff the likes of NE, EA etc., have and are continually letting go.

Give them a ring as ask them – they may offer you a phone interview.

hels
    Free Member

It probably depends on the reason, are you applying for the job because you actually want it or just to test the water ? (I’ve done that, I figure employers drag in 5/6 people, 4/5 of whom are wasting their time, so I have no guilt).

Don’t put the cart before the horse, see if you get offered the interview first, then if you really want the job any excuse less than open heart surgery won’t be acceptable. Doesn’t give a great message about your committment.

geoffj

Don’t put the cart before the horse, see if you get offered the interview first, then if you really want the job any excuse less than open heart surgery won’t be acceptable. Doesn’t give a great message about your committment.

+1 Very eloquently put!

timbur
    Free Member

There will be 100’s of applicants and they’ll be looking for a reason to narrow the list down IMHO.
    I wouldn’t bother unless it’s your dream job and you can get that across in the interview. Being a NP job I’d also make sure you have ALL of the essential criteria or you really are wasting your time.
    Tim (ex junior ranger)

andyrm
    Free Member

TBH if somone says to me they can’t make a proposed interview date, it’s a pretty good indicator that they don’t really have 100% commitment to it.

If you really, genuinely want that job and are in with a chance, you need to make yourself available.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

TBH, if you are really interested in the job, then there would have to be a very good reason why you couldn’t make the interview – I’m not sure being on holiday would be good enough.

flights/hotel already booked? would be good enough for me, although i’d want to be told at the time of application otherwise I might think he’d applied then booked a holiday knowing he might be called for interview.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

he couldn’t make the interview because it was on his birthday.

Jeez. Geoff Killington.

mau00149
    Free Member

Speak to them and tell them. Open and honest, can’t fault you for that! If they think your in with a shout and they potentially want you, then i’m sure they’d come to some arrangement….i.e. why accept second best just because they already had a previous engagment….

oli31
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. Yep flights booked for a week climbing in the Tatra’s so partner’s depending on me. Was definitely afraid of sending the wrong signals about commitment as they’re an employer i’d like to work for and other opportunities will come up, but working for them would require a big move for me and the family and it doesn’t come more committed than that.

Think i’ll prob just give them a call and try and speak to the role manager rather than HR

Thanks again

theteaboy
    Free Member

I had this a few years ago. Applied for a job in Newcastle and was doing some charity work in Devon.

I explained in my covering letter. When they called to offer me an interview they booked me a return plane ticket from Southampton to Newcastle.

I got the job – it was a <£25k job but they thought it was worth the £150ish to get the people they wanted to the interview. Job was a bloody nightmare and I left a year later…

dashed
    Free Member

My thoughts are nothing to loose

I’d get someone to proof read your application 🙂

freeagent
    Free Member

I’d put an note on your application. – just say its a pre-arranged commitment you can’t change.
    If they are genuinely interested in you they’ll accomodate you – if not, then do you really want to work for them anyway?

If I was interviewing people (have done recently) i’d be prepared to be a bit flexible for the right person.

Note- I’m an arrogant git who is of the opinion that interviews are a two way process, I’m just as keen to find out if I really want to work for them…

ericemel
    Free Member

I would not worry about this in the slightest – if your profile is good they will accommodate.

njee20
    Free Member

I would not worry about this in the slightest – if your profile is good they will accommodate.

Definitely in this camp. That said, spelling mistakes in your CV… you’d go in the bin for that.

geoffj

The profile would have to be exceptional to either move an already confirmed interview date and/or keep the other candidates waiting for you to return from holiday to be interviewed.
    This is the public sector, not some wacky design agency who are looking for the ‘perfect’ candidate.

Good luck though – you never know.

xiphon
    Free Member

If they are keen enough to interview you, they will try to re-arrange as best they can.

I applied for a job (Gov/Civil Service), and they delayed my interview by 3 weeks, as I was out of the country.

oli31
    Free Member

Think i’d be a good candidate, over qualified but loads of relevant experience but previous processes have shown me you never know who’ll you’ll be up against so nothing taken for granted.

Spelling and proof reading point taken though 😳

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Applying for jobs when you know you can't make the interview date?’ is closed to new replies.