Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Application letters what to put inside?
  • juan
    Free Member

As per title says really

I am a bit worried about what to put in my application letter. Should I go very personal? Should I be more generalist? Should I speak only of the relevant skills I have?

Cheers

Juan

richmars

What I do is keep the letter specific to the job you're applying to, and keep the CV fairly general (but you should tweek that as well for some applications). There's no point repeating yourself so I just say what particular skills I have that would apply to the job.

bruneep

Tell em you lurk on here that would swing it for you I think.

juan
    Free Member

Thanks richmars.
    I'll try to get something done.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A big wad of used £20 notes can help….

hilldodger
    Free Member

Keep letter short and formal, refer to the post both by any vacancy no/reference given by the employer and by name.
    Don't repeat info that's in the cv but do highlight a few 'key skills' which are particularly relevant to the post applied for and add a short paragraph as to why you are applying (if you feel that's appropriate – it usually is)

Bonne chance !

Moses

Give them a sentence or two to say why you would be good for the company / organisation / research group and how your experience could benefit them.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Paragraph 1 – the job you're applying for and where/when advertised
    Paragraph 2 – what you're doing now and the skills you use that are relevant to the job you're applying for
    Paragraph 3 – previous experience and/or qualifications
    Paragraph 4 – any other info that you feel may be useful.
    Then "I look forward to hearing from you in the near future" etc

If you have the person's name it's "Dear so-and-so" to start and "Yours Sincerely" to finish, otherwise "Dear Sir or Madam" and "Yours Faithfully"

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you have the person's name it's "Dear so-and-so" to start and "Yours Sincerely" to finish, otherwise "Dear Sir or Madam" and "Yours Faithfully"

Isn't that a bit old school?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Maybe but it works for me.

juan
    Free Member

thanks everyone I'll do that this afternoon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Application letters what to put inside?’ is closed to new replies.