• This topic has 89 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Apple's CEO …
  • Cougar

Also a bit rich from someone who’s come out with borderline racist stuff on here before.

No, I’m really going to call you on that.

I believe that people should be treated equally, whether they’re gay, straight, furry, black, white, brown, green with blue spots, able-bodied or disabled, male, female, undecided. I am the single least -ist person you will ever hope to meet.

I’m strongly against positive discrimination, and I don’t think that being, say, Asian or Christian gives you special dispensation to do what you want or get preferential treatment and play the minority card when you get challenged on it.

This applies to my sense of humour, I believe that either everything is fair game or nothing is; anything else is censorship and prejudice. I feel comfortable in making jokes which are blatantly not serious like “are you one of them gayers” because I’m confident in my world view and that anyone who knows me knows that I don’t have a prejudiced bone in my body.

I can only assume you’ve taken a joke the wrong way at some point because, frankly, that comment makes absolutely no sense to me.

Cougar

Some of the stuff you’ve said about Muslims on here is pretty unpleasant TBH. Basically that they should all have to prove that they aren’t terrorist sympathisers.

Right. I’ve said in the past that I think British Imams should be more proactive in speaking out against terrorism (thinking back I may have said “Muslim Community” but that’s what I meant). But that was a while ago, and they are doing now.

I have never, ever remotely, suggested that “all muslims” should prove that they aren’t terrorist sympathisers. Largely because I’m not a bloody idiot.

Cougar

No – you haven’t explained anything, you’ve just insulted me without giving any reasoning at all.

Have I explained sufficiently now?

I sincerely apologise if you felt I was insulting you, incidentally. I was just being flippant because you didn’t make any sense to me.

grum
    Free Member

Where’s the bit where you’ve explained why I appeared homophobic?

BTW here you go Cougar:

Regardless of everyone else’s beliefs or efforts, Islam seems to be making a fair fist of demonising itself in our society at the moment. When it condemns terrorism across the board, renounces Sharia law, stops persecuting its own womenfolk, and promotes blanket tolerance towards non-Muslims, then it can come and play with the other children again.

A billion people follow Islam but, what, they’re all too scared of their own religion to speak out against the more extreme bits of it? Have we really got a situation where a billion people are all following a mob mind that many of them don’t actually fully believe in?

Ill-informed sweeping generalisations if you’re being generous, or simply racism/bigotry if you’re not.

Cougar

Where’s the bit where you’ve explained why I appeared homophobic?

“I don’t see it at all, I don’t follow the logic where you think he’s implying that being gay is superior (and I really don’t see why it’s a problem that he’s proud of who he is).”

BTW here you go Cougar:

Wow, you must be stuck for something to do.

The first quotation was probably a generalisation, granted, but I wasn’t talking about “all muslims”, I was talking about Islam which is not the same thing, and you’ve taken it out of context. I was talking about the image of Islam in the west and of people’s perceptions of it. That’s what people here see, and are the real or imagined issues which the faith needs to address if it wants to fit into modern Western society. (And if it doesn’t, that’s its prerogative, of course.) Pretty sure I clarified that in the original thread.

Not really seeing the issue with the second; I don’t remember the exact context but it was a question I posed in the middle of a fairly heated discussion to spark conversation IIRC, it’s a bit low-handed to be playing the race card when I’m not actually stating opinion but taking part in a debate.

EDIT: and how long has “Islam” been a race, anyway?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Always disappoint to see someone letting their own prejudice overrule actual evidence

I’ve discovered many things on the Singletrack forum over the years but I never thought I’d find actual evidence for the existence of God. The stage is yours Molgrips.

(Does rather beg the question as to whether atheism is less socially acceptable than homosexuality in American society.)

emsz
    Free Member

Sort of seems to be implying that gay people are superior.

well, durrrr, we are of course all much more fabulous, dahling!!

What’s it like? I was outed at 15…let that sink in for a bit. At school, by my so called bezzy. In school, everyone but everyone knew I was a lezzer, dyke, carpet muncher, bean flicker…whatever, didn’t help that I am sporty and skinny. I’ve been spat on, had my head in a lav more times than I can to remember, got black eyes, bust lips, pissed blood for a week or so…there are still people that I knew from school who will cat call across the street at me…I’m 22 FFS. 🙄

It’s the 21st century….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4MR8oI_B8[/video]

This is just one of the you tubes on “it gets better” there are hundreds of them, if being gay didn’t matter so much, these wouldn’t exist.

It’s lush that a load of you think that it’s unimportant, and it really isn’t, but for too many people it’s something to be shamed about, and something to hide away.

Go figure

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve discovered many things on the Singletrack forum over the years but I never thought I’d find actual evidence for the existence of God. The stage is yours Molgrips.

You’re looking at it the wrong way. He’s clearly intelligent, being in a position of running a huge successful company. And yet he believes (apparently) in God.

Rather than then dismissing his obvious capabilities based on that one fact, perhaps you should be asking yourself WHY an intelligent person would believe in God? Asking questions is a much better way to learn and improve yourself than simply being dismissive.

Sorry for the thread derailment but this attitude really does piss me off.

jamj1974

Grum, he’s not saying he’s superior to others as a result of his homosexuality. He is saying that as a result of his experiences as a homosexual man that ‘he’ is better person than ‘he’ would be otherwise.

I think I am a better person than I would have been because of the adversity I have faced. Others would say I’m still a tool anyway.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Hey mols … keep up the good work lad we’ll get there.

Jamie
    Free Member

Apple CEO comes out as gay

STW has arguments.

enfht
    Free Member

I positively applaud this news. Everybody knows that Apple rule the universe and so finally the term Gaylord can be accurately used again in general conversation without fear of upsetting anyone. All hail the Shiny Gaylord, Emperor of the Universe.

project
    Free Member

Alan Turing, sadly killed himself by eating a poisoned apple,after being hounded /prosecuted for being Gay now the CEO of a company called Apple, announces to the world he is Gay.

One died in tragic circumstances and one lives in relative luxury and wealth.

But both in their own way will and have changed the way we look at each other, the way we talk and accept people of a different sexuality to us.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Rather than then dismissing his obvious capabilities based on that one fact, perhaps you should be asking yourself WHY an intelligent person would believe in God? Asking questions is a much better way to learn and improve yourself than simply being dismissive.

The comment was kind of in jest and I didn’t dismiss his obvious capabilities. Genuinely interested to know what keeps otherwise rational people religious and happy to learn – off thread if you prefer.

batfink
    Free Member

Holy crap, this thread got ugly quickly!

Tim cook’s announcement is not particularly relevant to me as an individual, because I’m a) a heterosexual, and b) not a homophobe. Him telling me that he’s gay does not make the slightest bit of difference to me. But it does to some people… that’s the point. People will either feel supported, challenged or ambivalent about this. There is no down-side to that.

Personally, the sooner the day comes that being gay really doesn’t matter (to anyone) the better. But until then, I applaud anyone effort that chips-away at peoples prejudices, and seeks to support people that are having a hard time of it.

Sorry – got a bit serious 😕

kimbers

itunes is still shit

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Can’t sleep… excited about a race on Sunday and got to thinking a about Simon’s post a couple up there.

Firstly not having a pop

Off thread if you prefer

Funny that in a thread about Cook coming out as gay… there is an invite for someone of faith to stay in the closet !!

And he’s the thing….

Away from STW l kind of am.

Certainly not as evangelical in real life that is for sure. It’s not that l am particular worried over people perception of me it’s just bit boring aye?

And that’s why even on here a try to keep posts sussinct and points raised or questions ask pertinent…. some, strangely enough, will preach for half a page on the inadequacies of faith.

Back to Cook and the case in point Simon posted… “otherwise” rational… Simon’s not the only one thinking this is he?

In fact maybe the God part in more “progressive” circles is more stocking than the Gay bit… so is Cook having a bit of double out action…. Was it known he was a man of faith previously ?

So yeah, like l first posted (although it hadn’t occurred to me then) Good man… he’s allowed me to say…

God and proud

(On here away… l’ve got street cred to kept up in the real world 🙂 )

Peace

Out

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Straight, gay, bi…..WGAF? None of my or anyone else’s business.

But both in their own way will and have changed the way we look at each other, the way we talk and accept people of a different sexuality to us.

?? I do not look at anyone differently, talk to anyone differently, or accept anyone differently as a result of this news. Why should I?

jambalaya
    Free Member

God. Americans are much more outwardly vocal about their religion, Steve Cook is just being so here. His comment about being gay being a gift from God is also a challenge to parts of the Church which are not accepting of homosexuality, he is very loudly linking his sexuality with God, in fact deriving from it. As for the inference above that intelligent people cannot or are less likely to be religious is quite ridiculous.

gonefishin
    Free Member

As for the inference above that intelligent people cannot or are less likely to be religious is quite ridiculous

As an aside there is actually some evidence that the more intelligent you are the less likely you are to be religious. It’s not a strong correlation but it does appear to be there.

*disclaimer. This does NOT mean that an intelligent person cannot be religious.

amedias
    Free Member

It really shouldn’t be ‘news’ in this day an age as you’ve put it, but this*

What’s it like? I was outed at 15…let that sink in for a bit. At school, by my so called bezzy. In school, everyone but everyone knew I was a lezzer, dyke, carpet muncher, bean flicker…whatever, didn’t help that I am sporty and skinny. I’ve been spat on, had my head in a lav more times than I can to remember, got black eyes, bust lips, pissed blood for a week or so…there are still people that I knew from school who will cat call across the street at me…I’m 22 FFS

is exactly why it’s a good thing that he has said this, and that it is being reported.

If him, or other prominent public figures (for whatever reason) can help in ANY way to normalise, or offer support or hope to someone, and help society move to a point where behaviour like the above does not happen then it is nothing but a good thing.

*sorry to use you as an example Emsz, and thank you for sharing.

Too many people do not realise how much of an issue it can be living in a society like this, it’s easy to think that if you are not discriminatory and don’t care, that other people don’t too and that its not a big deal. But it still IS, and maybe it shouldn’t be news, but until we are at a point where it universally isn’t news then unfortunately it is (<– may or may not have made sense)

teasel
    Free Member

Sorry, read it back and it came across as just trivial shit.

Move along…

jambalaya
    Free Member

@emz, thanks for sharing that. It’s important. Chapeau.

wrecker
    Free Member

Pretty low risk really. He’s already at the top.
    I don’t know about the americans, but here nobody would, or has batted an eye.
    I only just found out that the welsh rugby ref Nigel Owens is gay. Apparently he came out 7 years ago! Now that takes courage.

hora
    Free Member

Whilst I applaud the sentiment, it’s bloody ludicrous that in the 21st century someone’s sexuality should be of any concern to anyone else.

Because investors can be anyone and investors read five steps ahead and six steps sideways into someones ability to do a job based on stereotypes and deviation from the Nuclear family norm.

Well done that fickin man though! 😀

TBH (it shouldn’t)- its just moved apple up a notch in my view.

project
    Free Member

Tim cook’s announcement is not particularly relevant to me as an individual, because I’m a) a heterosexual, and b) not a homophobe. Him telling me that he’s gay does not make the slightest bit of difference to me.

But your quite happy to proclaim your not a homophobe and straight.

Why, stirring doubts about your sexuality lol.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Project – you can flip your argument in its head too.

Why does Cook need to suggest that sexuality is among the greatest gifts – it’s not, it’s just sexuality, big deal – or that it is god given.

Odd that anyone chooses to consider something as basic as sexuality as a gift let alone a greatest gift.

It’s an extension of the golfer who thanks god for his win. God played no part in that – he/she (or anyone else) hardly looked down and said, “hmmm, let me see, I think Jim will win today.” It’s all irrelevant connections.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s not just STW, just saw the article over at macrumors. Usually articles get a hundred or so comments, this one is over 2k already. Looks like it got ugly pretty quickly too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@tmh, Tim Cook is just being Tim Cook in the way he expresses it, any Apple product launch is pretty full on. As I posted I think his comments regarding his sexuality being a gift from God was a very deliberate ploy to say that God not only approves of homosexuality but he regards it as a gift, ie a positive thing. I think its a deliberate challenge to more conservative elements of the Church who don’t approve of or accept homosexuality

jambalaya
    Free Member

This Russian Official says Tim Cook should be banned from the country

Independent Newspaper Link

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I get that jambalaya – but imagine if another CEO stood up and said, “one of the greatest gifts from God I have is the fact that I am straight.” How would that be interpreted?

Cougar

It’s not the same thing though, is it. You’re comparing an oft-persecuted minority with the persecuting majority.

A CEO standing there going “I thank god that I’ve had it really easy” is going to sound foolish regardless of where he chooses to stick his willy.

hora
    Free Member

Lets not quibble over the semantics. This will be a man (and equally can be a woman) who has had to hide or temper his sexuality to a degree throughout his career. Lets not forget hes reached the top after a life-long career whereas we have acceptance somewhat built into the working world.

He didn’t. So maybe hes having a swipe at the Xenophobes and the nutty-Christian ideology of America and American life to a degree.

Well done Sir. ****-em.

The funny thing is there WILL be some Apple customers binning their phone or ‘puter because they’ll see it as a gay product. I bet we’ll see a few news reports (well in the US).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’re comparing an oft-persecuted minority with the persecuting majority.

You mean because he thanked God? 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Flashy 😉

Cougs, “persecuting” – really?

The confused exaggeration is catching by the looks of things. I think a CEO talking about (ahem) “sticking his willy” anywhere looks pretty foolish, especially when linking that to a God. (He’s crept in again – truly omnipotent). Better kept under wraps in more ways that one.

Cougar

Cougs, “persecuting” – really?

No, not really, I made it up. As we all know, homosexuality has been socially and culturally acceptable globally for centuries.

Are you trolling just to get a rise out of me now?

emsz
    Free Member

I sort of get what he’s saying, and I don’t think he’s trying to say “hey, you know what, I’m better than you because I’m gay” I think it’s more like, “sometimes being gay is proper shit spesh when your young and you feel like it’s you vs the world, and because of that I’m a better person than I might have been. Not better than you, or something, just better in myself”

Then the god bit, wahtever floats you gravy hon.

I know what he means, I don’t want to speak for anyone else, but I went on a ‘journey’ from denial, to sick scared, to resentment, to hating myself, to falling in love, to acceptance, to celebration.

Last thing: I have a very close friend, who’s nose is very slightly bent to the left because of me, she stood in front of a punch that was aimed at me, and got her nose bust for her trouble, that’s a debt I can never repay, but I can try to be a better person, and it helps to remind myself of that punch when I feel a bit shit.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Are you trolling just to get a rise out of me now?

You are kidding now FFS. Feels like I’m being stalked as you (twice) pick up on something I said/didn’t say. Talking about trying to get a reaction. I say that to you as a forumites not a mod (as you say).

Go an see real persecution in the world and then you might find that Mr Cox is engaging a slight bit of exaggeration for effect.

Cougar

Feels like I’m being stalked as you (twice) pick up on something I said/didn’t say.

I reply to any number of people in a given day. I replied to you twice. Don’t feel special.

Go an see real persecution in the world and then you might find that Mr Cox is engaging a slight bit of exaggeration for effect.

Are you reading any of Emsz’ posts? Here’s a choice excerpt you may have missed.

I’ve been spat on, had my head in a lav more times than I can to remember, got black eyes, bust lips, pissed blood for a week or so…there are still people that I knew from school who will cat call across the street at me…I’m 22 FFS.

And that’s in the last decade, in the UK. What do you reckon the experiences were of someone who grew up in the middle of America’s bible belt in the 60’s and 70’s? You think he got to bring his boyfriend round for Thanksgiving?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I don’t, don’t worry – sounds like trying to get a reaction again. What’s that called again…..?

I am well aware of emsz point thank you and sympathetic to it. But I disagree with the her opening point. It was a deliberate comment and a deliberate choice of phrase. Pointing that out does not equate to condoning the treatment that emsz suffered. To suggest otherwise is ……?

You tell me, you obviously feel that I am ignorant (or were you just trying to get a reaction again?)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Apple's CEO …’ is closed to new replies.