Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Apple Technical Question
  • Taff
    Free Member

Got a fault with a ipod touch and it crackles every now and again. Searching Google it seems to be reasonably common fault and is connected with the earthing in the headphone jack.

Don’t want to bugger it up so contemplating getting it fixed at an Apple store. I bought it from PC World and they sent it off last month and Apple said there were no problems. Currys acknowledged there were.

Anyway my questions are have anyone here had this problem? Also has anyone had a visit with an Apple Genius out of warranty and if so how much did it cost?

sniff
    Free Member

You can go to genius bar for free out of warranty. Book appoinemt online.

clubber
    Free Member

My 3GS does it. Shitty apple build quality. This is the only mobile that I’ve ever had fail and it’s done so twice in nearly two years though the polonecks at the local store did replace the first one without any hassle other than having to go there. Will shortly be changing to an htc or Samsung.

CountZero

iPhones are built by Foxconn, who also build devices for Samsung, Sony, LG, etc. There are tens of millions od iPhones and iPods out there, it’s inevitable that occasionally one has a problem. You have an equal chance of buying a competitors device that plays up just as much, and good luck with finding anyone to take responsibility for it. FWIW, I have an iPod 5G Video, a 3G Nano, a 3G iPhone, and an iPhone 4, and I occasionally get problems with the left earpiece cutting out on the iPhone 4. It’s an issue with the Shure SE215’s, not the phone, and I’ve had similar problems with the leads on Ultimate Ears phones too. Apple’s build quality is on a par with any Far Eastern electronic product, they’re all built in the same place, you just never hear about problems with some generic Samsung or Motorola or LG, device, the meeja’s only interested in highlighting problems with someone like Apple, and much of that is to do with manipulating Apple’s stock price for the hedge fund parasites, something I read on several RSS feeds yesterday.

clubber
    Free Member

Same manufacturer does not mean same quality.

Two failures for me, three for my dad, two for my sister. Maybe Apple products are allergic to us…

Taff
    Free Member

My 3GS is fine (touch wood) it’s the mrs iPod that gone funny. Actually find my phone more reliable than any other generic brand I’ve had in the past. IRS just annoying its even looked at and ice been told there’s nothing wrong with it

clubber
    Free Member

Your 3GS autocorrect is still clearly working 😉

Taff
    Free Member

bloody autocorrect!!!

Booked in with a genius tomorrow. Hopefully they will be nice as the last time apple fixed it they didn’t do a proper job

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Two failures for me, three for my dad, two for my sister. Maybe Apple products are allergic to us…

Or maybe you’re all clumsy/careless? Jack input faults tend to be caused by the jack plug being moved around a lot. Things that tend to live in pockets/bags will get fecked pretty quickly if consideration is not given to their relative fragility. I even see* people insert/remove jack plugs at the kind of angles that makes me wonder how they don’t just ram the whole socket out of its mounts.

I’m not saying that there are no faults with Apple products; but I’d bet that a fair number of problems like this that arise, and are repaired free by Apple, are down to abuse. Weirdly, it makes more sense for Apple (and many other companies) to quietly repair this sort of damage, and absorb/pass on the costs, than it does for them to say that people need to stop treating things so roughly.

*I work in a music studio and witness folk abusing electronic equipment on a daily basis.

Taff
    Free Member

I know what you mean. My iPhone is taken running etc so suffers quite a bit of punishment but hasn’t started crackling yet. Pams phone sits on her bedside unit and has done for the last year. Get plugged into a dock for music or she plays her apps etc. As I told her I think it’s rebelling against her crap taste in music!

Taff
    Free Member

Typically got up this morning and there was no crackling-argh! Got into Apple and explained everything and the mrs has just walked out with a new one. Good customer care there I think

rob2
    Free Member

We had a similar issue with a build up of static on the iPad.

Hold the menu button and the on button down together for about 15secs. It restarts itself and got us it worked find after.

Worth a try.

Stress I’m no technical expert so this may not work on an iPod. ! Happy to be told I’m talking rubbish 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Apple Technical Question’ is closed to new replies.