Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Apple OSX question…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Help !

Won an imac g5 on ebay for the children to use rather than my macbook pro.

Can I install the operating discs that came with the macbook on the imac ?
    10.6.7 is the version I have on macbook.

Thank you in advance

_tom_
    Free Member

So long as the newer OS is compatible with the older G5 iMac it should work I think?

s4rpf
    Free Member

if they are a gray disc no and I think tiger 10.4 is the last one which is compatible with PPC

mboy
    Free Member

Just to clear this up…

The VERY latest OS that a PowerPC Mac (such as your G5) can run is 10.5.8… 10.6 and 10.7 are for intel processored machines only.

Don’t mean to be rude, but is the G5 iMac still in good condition? They’re not known for being the most robust and longest lasting of machines…

Anyway, anyone want an immaculate Dual 2.5Ghz G5 PowerMac? Perfect working order, recent service, fresh install of 10.5.8 etc…

CountZero

I needed to upgrade my G3 PowerBook to 10.5.8, to sync with my new iphone 4 ladt year, and couldn’t get hold of the install discs anywhere, other than via eBay. My dealer couldn’t help, apparently just lending me the discs to install on the ‘puter I bought from them is classed as software piracy, and is illegal. Bloody foolishness. Managed to borrow the discs from a lovely person on here in the end. OTA upgrades with iOS 5 will mean an end to the problem in future.
    eBay may be your only answer, I doubt Amazon can help now, it’s a nearly three year old OS.

prettygreenparrot

Leopard 10.5.x is the last thing you can install on the non-Intel machines. Snow Leopard now goes up to 10.6.8 doesn’t it?

thefallguy
    Free Member

I had same issue as Count zero, with my ppc when I got a new iPhone, no intel chip meant couldn’t buy the latest os old software online wasn’t available-so I called apple support and they sent me os10:5:6 free of charge, it came in about two days, needless to say I was delighted! I have always had great service from the apple store too, So it’s got to be worth calling them

M6TTF
    Free Member

The disks that came with the laptop won’t install on the iMac – even if the OS was able to run, apple tailor the install disks to the relevant machine , I gad the same issue trying to install my iMac disks onto a tower

fivelittlefish
    Free Member

^^ This

CountZero

@thefallguy; never thought of that solution. Doh! Might be a possible answer for the OP.

_tom_
    Free Member

apple tailor the install disks to the relevant machine

Do they? I installed osx on my hackintosh from a mates disc that came with his iMac..

CountZero

Yes, they do. I borrowed the install discs for the work iMacs but my PowerBook wouldn’t recognise them.

simon_g

The machine-specific issue can be worked around by hooking the machine up via target disk mode to the one that can run the disc, then booting off CD and picking the other disk to install to.

But as the others say, PPC = no snow leopard for you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Apple OSX question…’ is closed to new replies.