Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • Apple October Announcement – iMac/iPad/iWotM8?
  • Drac

..failing that, no NHS discount?

5% IIRC but work do a Salary Sacrifice on them.

Drac

So about £1700-ish? Edu discount could get that down. Plus get 3 yr Apple care.

£1,999.00

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d expect to pay that much for that display alone, so considering you get a computer thrown in too, two grand is a pretty good deal.

the-muffin-man

New cheap(ish) Mac Mini @ £399.00…

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/mac-mini

Pretty basic spec, but ideal for what most people do.

andyl
    Free Member

Not very up to speed on Apple stuff but it doesnt look like I need to be really as I don’t see much improvement in the new Air 2. We were holding off buying an Air over summer waiting for the new one but it seems they have only done a little. Is it s a case of the tech they need to make a huge improvement is just not there? I would have rather had the same thickness for more battery life.

We were going to get a 32GB but they have dropped that going 16 (useless), 64 and 128.

Just looked on John Lewis and they have the old 16gb for £319, 32gb for £359 but then a whopping £200 jump to £559 for the 64gb and £619 for the 128gb. Why the heck is there a £200 jump for 32gb of memory?

I am guessing it is because the apple store now only sells the 16 and 32 and the prices have dropped on those but the ones apple no longer sell (64 and 128) remain at the old price?

If we go for the 64gb which seems more sensible anyway even though I hate paying that much extra for more memory then the new one is £479 from Apple so £80 less than the old model.

Very odd pricing. Still tempted to go for the old 32gb one though based on cost.

Or I might try and persuade the OH to just go for the new Nexus tablet as we both have android phones anyway.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Apple dieing a slow death imo. Used to be a apple fanboy till i used android. And apple better at hardware!!!! Have you not seen the bending phones!!!??? Ios8 killing batteries and wifi!!! Taking up 6gb over wifi for new download!!! Madness imo apple did reinvent the phone… Now others have surpassed and masterd them apple stuck way behind now im afraid.

wilburt
    Free Member

And no retina on Macbook Air

Meh..I’m out.

batfink
    Free Member

GAH! No new apple TV!

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Jamie
    Free Member

Apple dieing a slow death imo. Used to be a apple fanboy till i used android. And apple better at hardware!!!! Have you not seen the bending phones!!!??? Ios8 killing batteries and wifi!!! Taking up 6gb over wifi for new download!!! Madness imo apple did reinvent the phone… Now others have surpassed and masterd them apple stuck way behind now im afraid.

I don’t even know where to start with that…

No. Ok. Yes. No. Really? No. Possibly. No.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Jamie – Freeloader!
    I don’t even know where to start with that…

Just go back to stroking your apples Jamie, don’t let the haters upset you 🙂
    Here is a nice graph for you

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll announce it next time

Drac

Have you not seen the bending phones!!!???

Which is that the Xperia?

molgrips
    Free Member

£1,999.00

Jesus Christ

wilburt
    Free Member

You could buy a bicycle for that!

Drac

Yeah but I’d not use a bike.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I’m not surprised at the lack of a retina Macbook air, as it’s supposed to be a ligher and more alternative to the Pro.

The retina screens need more power to run, so you’d need a bigger battery, which adds to the bulk and weight which kind of goes against the whole philosophy behind the Air.

That said, the 5k display on the iMac sounds like a beast. Even the older 27″ iMac looks really sharp, so it will interesting to see how much of a step up it is.

chambord
    Free Member

The retina screens need more power to run

According to Phil Schiller (I think it was Phil anyway) they have developed some super magic screen tech which means the 5K screen on the iMac uses 30% less power than the last one (Although it’s never clear what they’re comparing to..), so it doesn’t seem that crazy for them to put it in an Air and not effect battery life too much.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I was a bit underwhelmed by the announcements. Half an hour of stuff I already knew followed by stuff that confirmed the many rumours. Granted I might be tempted by an iPad Air 2 and the new iMac is probably ace, but I couldn’t help feeling that Cook, Schiller and even Federighi were a bit nervous about how to live up to the hype.

“It’s been too long”

😕

zilog6128

The retina screens need more power to run

Retina iMac screen is 30% more power efficient than the old iMac screen apparently so… no.

doris5000

this new mac mini. A 1.4Ghz dual-core chip on the base model?

That looks to this layperson like quite a step-down from the 2012 model. Isn’t that practically what a decent tablet sports these days?

Any tech-head care to tell me what I’m missing there?

Drac

I was a bit underwhelmed by the announcements. Half an hour of stuff I already knew followed by stuff that confirmed the many rumours

Seems silly to watch it if you knew what was coming.

zilog6128

I guess you’re missing the fact that it’s only £399 so it’s the cheapest Mac ever I think. Not a lot of power but depends what you want it for. If it’s just web/email/office or as a media centre to plug into the telly then it should be ideal.

The next model up is 2.6 Ghz if you need more grunt.

chambord
    Free Member

It’s just a low power mobile CPU. I’m surprised it’s i5 and not i3 to be honest.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Apple dieing a slow death imo. Used to be a apple fanboy till i used android. And apple better at hardware!!!! Have you not seen the bending phones!!!??? Ios8 killing batteries and wifi!!! Taking up 6gb over wifi for new download!!!

Seems like there’s something wrong with the device you’re typing on. It’s turned the English language to gibberish and added lots of random punctuation. I suggest you get it fixed.

mrblobby
    Free Member

£1,999.00
    Jesus Christ

I suspect you’d struggle to get a similarly spec’d display alone for that price, it really is a pro bit of kit. If you don’t want to pay that much just get the normal screen’d one which still has a very good display.

brassneck

I guess you’re missing the fact that it’s only £399 so it’s the cheapest Mac ever I think. Not a lot of power but depends what you want it for. If it’s just web/email/office or as a media centre to plug into the telly then it should be ideal.
    The next model up is 2.6 Ghz if you need more grunt.

Non user upgradeable memory I’m hearing too.

Was hoping to update my i7 to a Haswell with Iris, but I’ll need to see some benchmarks to see if it worth it.. could probably still get 500 ish 2nd hand for mine maybe.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Seems silly to watch it if you knew what was coming.

It’s not silly at all. I’ve watched the last 3 or 4 of these events and all of them – up until now – have kept me interested from start to finish. There were loads of rumours about the iWatch but it was still an impressive bit of kit when revealed. The Summer announcement of iOS 8 and Yosemite gave me something interesting to look forward to.

I didn’t really want to hear all that again; I was expecting to hear about a lot more new stuff. When the new stuff was finally revealed I was so bored and disillusioned by the previous 30 minutes of Groundhog day that I failed to get all that excited by what to Apple must be huge technological innovations but to me was “just” a thinner/faster iPad.

Apple’s problem is that they are so mature in this marketplace that adding a Retina screen to something or making something thinner/faster/lighter is the minimum the market is expecting.

zilog6128

Non user upgradeable memory I’m hearing too.

Was hoping to update my i7 to a Haswell with Iris, but I’ll need to see some benchmarks to see if it worth it.. could probably still get 500 ish 2nd hand for mine maybe.This is something to bear in mind about Apple kit! Yes, the lack of upgradability is annoying, but the 2nd hand values are normally so good it is possibly a moot point financially.

Apple’s problem is that they are so mature in this marketplace that adding a Retina screen to something or making something thinner/faster/lighter is the minimum the market is expecting.

True but I’m sure most people (me included) were very impressed by the iMac – much more so than when the iPhone/MBP went Retina. They have after all created the highest resolution screen (ever?) at an astonishingly affordable price.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m more interested in Android 5 allowing two separate virtual phones in the same physical device. One for work, one for personal…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dell’s 27″ 5k monitor is $2.5k in the US. £2k for a comparable display and a computer too, pretty good I’d say. Am tempted.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m more interested in Android 5 allowing two separate virtual phones in the same physical device. One for work, one for personal…

Don’t lie, Molgrips. One is for the wife, and the other is for yo’ bitches.

Drac

I’m more interested in Android 5 allowing two separate virtual phones in the same physical device. One for work, one for personal.

You’ll be wanting the Android thread then.

doris5000

Mmm perhaps, but it feels like they could have released this machine, at this price, in the 2012 line-up and it would have made sense. To release it in 2014 seems a bit underwhelming but hey ho.

will probably still keep an eye on ebay for a 2012 jobbie…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

On a more practical note, I’ve upgrade to Yosemite and here’s my thoughts:

– The new look seems designed to make the screen quality worse than it was before so we all rush out to order the Retina iMac
    – My Bookmarks bar no longer has site-specific icons; they all look the same. This is remarkably annoying
    – My iMac is 2011 therefore too old for any of this continuity stuff. I was quite excited about being able to take my iPhone calls on my Mac, but that’s not going to happen.

Aside from that nothing has really jumped out at me yet. I am looking forward to iCloud Photos though.

Jamie
    Free Member

– My Bookmarks bar no longer has site-specific icons; they all look the same. This is remarkably annoying

Did Safari ever use favicons?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

yes

I have a fairly long list of favourites in my bookmarks bar and I relied on the favicon to pick the right one. Curiously if you actually edit your bookmarks on the new Safari, the favicons are still there.

Allegedly there were 1 million public beta testers of Yosemite. It surprises me that (a) none of them picked up on this (b) none of them cared (c) Apple didn’t care. It’s a shame when Apple sacrifice genuinely useful features for the sake of making it look – subjectively – prettier.

wilburt
    Free Member

– My iMac is 2011 therefore too old for any of this continuity stuff. I was quite excited about being able to take my iPhone calls on my Mac, but that’s not going to happen.

When the dust settles I was looking forward to that too, mines a mid 2011 2.5 I5 though do you know if its up to the job?

Do I need one of those new big screens???? 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Only 2012 onwards support Continuity. I can’t remember where I read/heard it though.

Do I need one of those new big screens????

yes. Definitely.

talking of which I do love this web page. I don’t know if it works as effectively with a mouse but when scrolling down the page with a Trackpad the effect is really clever.

http://www.apple.com/uk/imac-with-retina/

ninfan
    Free Member

In with both feet:

I spent the extra and took applecare+ too – at £79 for two years of ‘drop it on the floor’ cover its cheaper than the lifeproof case I would have bought for it otherwise!

Drac

I have a fairly long list of favourites in my bookmarks bar and I relied on the favicon to pick the right one. Curiously if you actually edit your bookmarks on the new Safari, the favicons are still there.

You need to add them back on the Task Bar.

View -> Customise Bar -> Favourites Bar (Drag to where you want it) -> Done.

Then click on Favourites Bar icon and they’ll reappear.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Apple October Announcement – iMac/iPad/iWotM8?’ is closed to new replies.