Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone with a 2006 model Orange P7 – help!
  • theotherjonv

I’ve just acquired one and was fitting parts tonight and hit a snag with the rear disc brake.

Where the disc mount is on the seatstay, but the dropout runs inside the seatstay (slidey dropouts, etc.), there’s a gap between the mount and the rotor of the same width as the dropout (7mm approx), which is far too much for the disc brake mount adaptor to cover (shimano brakes if it matters)

I can shim out the mount by the same amount (if I had enough shims) but am I missing a trick somewhere? Can you get equivalent thickness spacers, if so where?

theotherjonv

bump (sorry)

Ogg

The older P7s comes with spacers – so Orange would probably sell you some.
    Failing that you’d need to get some made or for a bodge use a few washers together or some M8 nuts might do the job.

Jamze

Pics? Sounds wrong. If I’m reading your description right, you’d need 10mm of spacers to centre the calliper.

Mine’s a mkII, so the calliper is mounted on the dropout (which introduces the problem of the dropout moving under braking forces – hence the extra bolt).

Jamze

Sounds like Ogg has the answer!

cynic-al
    Free Member

On ones came with spacers. Just use washers, will be fine.

theotherjonv

cool, ta.

Never realised why mounts on the dropout were a good idea, now see the benefits (and the downfalls too)

sm500
    Free Member

i just use a couple of nuts on mine to space disk mounts out.
    I see the new P7 frames have gone back to the old 2006 design of disc tabs on frame and not on dropout like the 2007 models. Orange then changed design and put disc mount on the sliding dropout and from reading the forums created a whole load of problems with dropout issues! never had problems with my 2006 dropouts ,)

clareymorris

I have a 2005 frame and had the same issue………..the washers show the problem but GavGas machined a spacer for me. Sorted 😀

theotherjonv

M8 nuts FTW!

Cheers all STW. Now off to test ride it.

Actually – one more question.

What size seatpost is your 06 / 07?

Orange site says 27.2 but I’ll be damend if my 27.2 will go in. A 27.0 fits snugly. Might be that the 27.2 is tight because of age / a little surface corrosion inside, any thoughts. If it’s genuinely 27.2 I’ll go and see if the LBS can ream it back out to that, but if it is really 27.0, I’ll need to get another seatpost.

sm500
    Free Member

my o6 P7 is 27.2

Ogg

27.2 with the original seat tube shim on mine (28.6mm outer).
    Maybe someone has fitted a different shim?

st

I had this issue with the disc point on my P7, an easy fix is to get 4 presta valve collars, run a drill through the threads so the caliper mount bolt threads through easily and then use 2 of the collars per bolt.

clareymorris

27.2 post with a shim – get a synthetic one though the metal ones are rubbish!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone with a 2006 model Orange P7 – help!’ is closed to new replies.