Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone tried Magicshine lights?
  • rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

900 Lumens / 3 hours / £100

Seems like a stunning deal. Anyone tried them?

Home1

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

they are the £50 dx light used by loads on here

Tiger6791

Search in the search box —–>

Use the following terms "DX lights" & "Bastid"

hoojum
    Free Member

I think there fantastic value and push out a powerful and well spread beam. I ordered from deal extreame for les than £50.

soobalias
    Free Member

downsides.

long lead time (3 weeks minimum)
    battery not very well sealed
    battery bag rubbish
    cable could be longer
    clicky switch works back to front
    clicky light always on

you get what you pay for.

z1ppy

SOOBalias – Member
    downsides.

long lead time (3 weeks minimum) – try reading this, 3 week minium????:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dx-amazing-delivery-times
    9 days, the same as for the last 2 years when I & friends order kit and had them within 10 days. Yes they had a rush on last year as most sensible ppl reaslised pay £50 for a light that was as good as the £300 oposistion was worth buying.
    battery not very well sealed – I'll give you that but a plastic bag over the top sealed it fine.
    battery bag rubbish – it's a fricken £50 light, get a life! Though mine has worked perfectly fine over this last winter.
    cable could be longer – ohhhhh the pain
    clicky switch works back to front – Eh? So fricken what.
    clicky light always on – and???

Really is that all you have to complain about?
    Magicshine lights blowing the need for expensive overpriced tat out of the water.

soobalias
    Free Member

dont get your knickers in a twist zippy.

ive now supplied 15 sets of DX lights over the last year, not one single order has arrived within 3 weeks, last october/november this was much more like 8 weeks

every other point i made i stand by – you get what you pay for. if you want to pay £50 for a very bright, compact light with reasonable burn times you will suffer somewhere. if you can live with those downsides then its for you.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

mine arrived in 8 days

z1ppy

dont get your knickers in a twist zippy
    No I haven't, but annoyed yes! It's a fricken bargain & all you can do is run it down.

If you've supplied them, I'm left to assuming you've recommended them, then why be so goddam picky/negative?
    Those points are nothing when you consider you've saved £250 compared to many of the "mtb light" available. I'm sure that, you be able to fix all of the issue you've menitoned for £20, and as I say, myself and many other have no experienced any issue delivery-time wise.

soobalias
    Free Member

are you actually looking for a fight?

you get what you pay for.
    if you pay £50 it aint gonna be perfect
    if you then pay £20 is could be better

why are you annoyed?
    would you rather i said its great?

tit

z1ppy

let's step out side my friend… 😈

Your post is just ridiculously negative, most sensible ppl will realise that for £50 vs £300 you'll get getting some compromises, my point is that overall it throughly worthwhile & might (only might) kick the bigger boys into action(?).

soobalias
    Free Member

like i already said before i got censored.

if i was being ridiculously negative i would have brought up the rumours of poor customer service, worthless warranty and a charger that is at best unreliable and at its worst prone to bursting into flames not to mention that it doesnt even come with a 3 pin plug.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Hey, by the time you boys have finished arguing about this it will be more than light enough at night not to bother with any lights 😉

z1ppy

Censored?

No, those comments are just malicious not negative.
    All of those charges & have been refuted time and time again, and can easily be leveled at other Mtb-light manufacturers too… lupine piss poor service for a £500 light (personal experience of this), lumicycle's chargers have caught on fire as many time as the 'one' reported failure of a DX
    (ok except the 2 pin plug thing)

HB, you starting to eh eh eh????!!! :mrgreen:

foursheds
    Free Member

I'd like to add a few comments to the thread about 'Magicshine 900 lumen lights', in particular where / how to get them. I run the website http://www.brightbikelights.com which was mentioned at the start of this discussion so I've a vested interest in supplying quality, tested, UK lights with accessories (helmet mounts, spare batteries, headstrap mounts, extension cables). The problem with Dealextreme (where I agree they are cheaper) is that the delivery can in my experience take from 4 to 8 weeks, stuff can arrive damaged, often they sell outdated models with US plugs. Buyers should also be paying 17.5% VAT and 2.5% import duty – you may be asked for this. The site http://www.brightbikelights.com was set up to sell UK based, tested lights, deliver within two business days and offer a range of accessories and support. I truly believe these are fantastic lights and offer great value for money, my decision to build this website was based on my personal purchase and use of a Magicshine….Anyway – please have a look at http://www.brightbikelights.com
    Regards, Trevor Jackson

uplink
    Free Member

Buyers should also be paying 17.5% VAT and 2.5% import duty – you may be asked for this.

Can't say I've ever heard of anyone having to pay
    isn't the personal limit £120 before duty is payable? – not sure about VAT

often they sell outdated models with US plugs

You just need to order the right one
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30864

is that the delivery can in my experience take from 4 to 8 weeks

mine took 15 days [Feb this year]

there's also
    http://www.bestofferbuy.com/haiii-ssc-p7c-sxo-3mode-900lumen-led-bike-light-set-p-27282.html

I've never used them for this light but I've had other stuff off them OK in around 2-3 weeks

pitduck
    Free Member

mine took two weeks and is as good if not a better light then my hope.chill out soo. 😯

Tiger6791

Profit is not a dirty word! I don't work for free and I doubt Trevor does either. Pay your money and take your choice.

I bought from Hong Kong, for a £50 saving I thought it worth the risk.

Some people will prefer to deal with a UK supplier which has it's advatages and It looks like Trevor's prices arn't that bad.

chiefgrooveguru

Value Added Tax (VAT) – Import VAT is charged at the same rate that applies to similar goods sold in the UK and applies to commercial goods over £18 in value, and on gifts that are over £40 in value. The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:

basic value of goods, plus
    postage, packing and insurance, plus
    any import (Customs or Excise) duties charged

Customs duty – Customs duty becomes payable if the goods are over £135 in value but is waived if the amount calculated is less than £9. Customs duty is usually charged as a percentage of the value of the goods.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm

foursheds
    Free Member

Looks like I stand corrected on import duty (for a single light)thanks chiefgrooveguru – but the VAT is still technically applicable to a light bought from Dealextreme. In practice I imagine it may not always be paid. There are distinct advantages in buying from a UK supplier as Tiger6791 mentioned. I always supply tested lights – if you buy one and have a problem, I'm also not far away. I'm a converted user of the Magicshine and personally think they're fantastic for bike use – add a headstrap and extension and they're equally brilliant in lots of other situations
    Trevor Jackson http://www.brightbikelights.com

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried Magicshine lights?’ is closed to new replies.