Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone tracked their dog with GPS on a ride?
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

It ocurred to me that as my dog seems to run effortlessly all day long and constantly doubles back, chases deer/rabbits etc etc. it might be interesting to see how far she actually covers in comparison to me.

I use Endomondo on my Blackberry to track rides so I figured the cheapest way to try it would be to get a little doggy “backpack” and a waterproof blackberry case (the pooch being fond of leaping into rivers and ponds)and then set her off.

Anyone else done it?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m not sure the resolution would be good enough to catch all the doubling back…

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Not on a ride but on a five mile walk he can easily do fifteen miles plus.

nickjb
    Free Member

You can guy special doggy GPSs for doing just that.

GPS for dogs

Gilles

excellent – I need one of them for my cat, as a kind of scientific experiment to see as far as she goes.

Onzadog
    Free Member

At those prices, I’d rather let the dog have my phone. I think the resolution would be good enough. It tracked me riding abpout in circles the other day waiting for everyone to stop faffing and start riding the other day.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Yeah the dog tracker looks good but £150 is a bit more than I’d like to splash out.

Waterproof case and doggypack should be around £15….

I’ll double back and forward on my next ride and see if it shows on the track.

uplink
    Free Member

i’m not sure the resolution would be good enough to catch all the doubling back…

I have a log somewhere of a road ride I did where I fell at 20mph ish
    When you zoom in a bit you can clearly see how I veered across the road & then slid back to the correct side before coming to a halt

votchy
    Free Member

excellent – I need one of them for my cat, as a kind of scientific experiment to see as far as she goes.

You can then see which poor sods garden it sh1ts in too 👿

Gilles

Exactly but I know it won’t be your’s!

ampthill

Thsi cropped up in conversation the other day. Great idea let us know how you get on….

ampthill

I didn’t haggle over a used bike the other day. Was that wrong?

vdubber67
    Free Member

I’ve considered strapping a helmet cam to one of the dogs. I reckon 0-45mph in about 3 strides would be interesting to watch (greyhounds!)

🙂

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I didn’t haggle over a used bike the other day. Was that wrong?

nope. you made entirely the correct decision.
    & I hope you are very happy with it.

😀

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info people.

Gonna get one of these for a tenner:

And something like this or maybe just a harness:

I’ll let you know how it turns out.

phyncra
    Free Member

Yep, 41 kph!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/50733948

This wasnt on a ride tho, and since I just duck taped the Edge 500 to her collar it faced down and didnt get a very good signal. I did also have to explain to a fellow dog walker what it was on her collar!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Nice one phyncra – that’s the kind of crazy track I’d be expecting.

I’ll see what I can come up with.

Woody
    Free Member

I’ve considered strapping a helmet cam to one of the dogs. I reckon 0-45mph in about 3 strides would be interesting to watch (greyhounds!)

Shouldn’t they be wearing a helmet at those speeds anyway ? 😉

oxnop
    Free Member

I have. I thought I’d give it a go on our usual doggy ride.

I fastened my garmin GPS to his ruffwear harness and was quite supprised by the result.

The loop we do around some open moorland is 1.8miles if you stick to the track, Finn covered 6.5 miles!!!! So an average 35min 2 looper could easily be 13miles for the dog.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tracked their dog with GPS on a ride?’ is closed to new replies.