Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone running a Clio, pointers needed
  • carlos
    Free Member

The Mrs is being made redundant and is going to loose her company car so is in the market for a replacement. She's had a look about and fancies a Clio appart from the obvious stuff that you'd look for on any car is there anything specific to the Clio to check or look out for.

I've had a look on a couple of Reanult sites but thought I'd ask the STW massive if there's something they may have missed.

Car is either going to be either a 1.4 16v Dynamic, 1.6 16v Dynamic or 1.5 Dci all around 03-54 reg.

Cheers

Drac

Don't.

steveh

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk

There is a car by car breakdown on the site (accessed from the front page) that gives you common problems with vehicles as well as the details of the various models etc. a very useful site if you're looking at cars.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

2nd the honestjohn site

JonBurns
    Free Member

I've got a June 2001 to 2004 Haynes manual in very good condition going cheap if you do go down that route.

TheGingerOne

There was an issue on one version where if you do not grease the catch for the bonnet it flies open at will or something like that. I think Renault claimed it was user error rather than a production issue or something.
    Was on Watchdog a year or so ago.

v10
    Free Member

Make sure the bonnet catch has been replaced, check for leaky sunroof and triple check all the electronics.

Exhausts are made from cheese too so at the ages your looking at if its not already been replaced it will need to be soon.

davidrussell
    Free Member

bonnet catch issue is a recall now – next time the cars in at a renault dealer they'll fix it off the bat.

IMO clios are good to run but suffer from rattly interiors and some folk find the driving position slightly odd.

in terms of mechanicals check the timing has been done on cars older that 5 years / 72k miles. check the panel fit to look for any crash damage if its not been disclosed. some dci's have been known to need coil packs once they get a bit older and mk1 / mk2 models with a sunroof can be a bit leaky. mine had an oil leak from the top of the emgine (rocker cover has no gasket so can leak) which was essentially harmless but gave me good leverage on the dealer. best bet is to get a good mechanic along with you who knows renault.

there are also some buyers guides here [/url]

you will need to sign up but its a good forum – full of decent folks and good advice.

davidrussell
    Free Member

good call on the sunroof v10- ended up getting marine grade neoprene and epoxy to sort my old mk1….

🙂

carlos
    Free Member

Ok cheers guys, thanks for the honestjohn link I've not heard of that before and there is some good info on it and like you said very useful.

Drac – The Clio isn't my choice it's the Mrs and see seems set, I've been through all the other makes and models and for the money and age of car this is her choice. All I can do is try to aviod getting a dog and a decent deal for her.

Jonburns – Thanks I'll bear it in mind, although the local garage loks after our cars and being a family friend.

troy_spanker
    Free Member

mrs ran a 53plate dynamique 85hp dci. abloslutely brilliant car – good mpg, nippy enough, all the toys, cheap road tax too.

in the couple of years she had it, it had a set of tyres and brake pads. there was one issue with the air conditioning sensor, but fixed under warranty. we regreted selling it, which prompted me to buy the 182..

…running an 05 cliosport 182 for the last 3 enjoyable years. the bonnet catch was changed on a service, it's had tyres, a numberplate light assembly, and some sensor on and a heatshield on the exhaust. main dealer servicing has been expensive though…

luke
    Free Member

the wife had a 99 plate 1.9 diesel for a couple of years went like stink after it had been wound up and was good on fuel, she did also have a 51 plate 1.5 diesel as a courtesy car when hers was in the garage.
    thinking of getting one around the same age as your looking for, for myself later this year as a cheap second car.

project
    Free Member

Had 3 clios as hire cars,first parked on a hill facing down, it was raining, came to start it it wouldnt start,phoned RAC, who came out,he said dont park a clio on a hill with a sun roof as the sun roof drain also goes past the imobilizer in the housing the rear view mirror fits on, and when it rains it shorts it out, so disassemble it and place on his vans engine and refit , and it worked.

Second clio,the matrix in the exhaust disintegrated after a day of driveing,sounded like a bags of nuts under the car on braking and acceleration.

Third clio,refused to start at the car hire depot,even when the owner kicked it.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Renault do not make good s/h buys they are fragile, poor quality build , relatively expensive to repair and service avoid,avoid,avoid avoid! FFS she has already been made redundant!

nockmeister
    Free Member

Been running a ClioSport 172 for nearly 10yrs, apart from the horrendously expensive frequent cam belt changes and very restrictive bike carrying options, i've never had so much fun on 4wheels!

carlos
    Free Member

Well not been back long after an afternoon car shopping, not the best thing to do in this weather I'll say.

Seen a 1.6 16v Dynamique on an 03 plate, tidy looking car, bodywork and panels all look and fit well, 58k on the clock, rear seats don't look used, usual cr^p Renault stereo/cd player, A/C and some refurbed TSW 8 spoke 18" rims which will have to go as the Mrs says they look sh1t, and they do imo. The garage will put a MOT on it and anything thats to be fixed as a result they will stand the cost. It needs a tyre which the garage will put on before the deal too so all sounds OK.

Tried to contact the previous owner, but it's ex-directory, so if anyone lives round Porth, Rhondda Cynon Taff, CF39 0LZ drop me an e-mail (in profile) as I have a couple of ?? I'd like to ask if possible just to help in the haggling.

Thanks for the replies

v10
    Free Member

Ive got a 172cup (Cambelt not a problem as no AC pump!) and its been a wonderful little car. I think with the Clio's is that percentage wise there are a few more lemons kicking about. I know a few people i track with with 172/182/197 some of which just seem to have no end of problems. I assume its the same with the no RS ones. If its a solid one it will make a great value little car, although tho its always going to be a bit of a lottery that it'll be a 'duff un'.

As for the one youve been looking at id slightly weary of those wheels as it probably points towards a younger owner who is more likely to have thrashed it from cold and scrimped abit on the servicing. But if its a good deal then i wouldnt let it write the whole deal off. If its been running on 18s as well id check for any inner arch damage too.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Had an older 1.9 diesel which was good, only problem was a raditor hose that sort of disolved, so later I got a newer one 99 or 00, most unreliable car I've ever owned, dangerous, sudden loss of power here there and everywhere, cost a fortune trying to sort it out and it was a known issue, lots of complaints on the net …. never again, px'd it for a jap car as soon as I could!

Muddy@rseTony
    Free Member

Seen a 1.6 16v Dynamique on an 03 plate, tidy looking car, bodywork and panels all look and fit well, 58k on the clock, rear seats don't look used, usual cr^p Renault stereo/cd player, A/C and some refurbed TSW 8 spoke 18"

The wheel choice would worry me on the above. Milage is on the high side for what is basically designed as a run around so expect new clutch if not already done, exhaust likely to need a new cat soon, belts must have been done by how (check if main dealer – not just a scrible in the log), and probably some other nasties. Personally I'd want to see the car for little money or move on as it's likely to be a p/ex wh8ch can mean the previous owner knew there was money to be spent.

rich-6
    Free Member

Cant say my 182s let me down yeat in two years, Had the belts done 😮 not cheap as above,

They have a tendancy to pop CV boots off too i have found, rear shocks are weak and pop, top mounts knock, I've had a driveshaft on it and i think thats it apart from wear and tear items

davidrussell
    Free Member

good to see some fellow renault sport fans on here – superb cars!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running a Clio, pointers needed’ is closed to new replies.