Home Forums Chat Forum Anyone riding with scaphoid non-union (SNAC), wrist fusion, etc

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Anyone riding with scaphoid non-union (SNAC), wrist fusion, etc
  • stinkytrooper
    Free Member

As the title suggests, just looking for some first hand (excuse the pun) experiences from people riding with a broken Scaphoid.

I had a minor fall early last year, after a few X-rays and a CT scan it turns out I broke my scaphoid…. 10 years ago! Needless to say, any chance of it healing has long since passed. So to cut a long story short, I have to live with it as is for as long as I can until such a time that the pain becomes unbearable and I have it fused (fixed into position) or possibly a wrist replacement.

I’ve been preserving my wrist as much as I can throughout my diagnosis and after hearing the opinions of three different consultants, I’ve come to terms with the situation. The question I keep asking myself is, do I get back on the bike knowing that it will likely accelerate the deterioration and lead to the fusion/replacement quicker or carry on with a bike-free (albeit boring) life.

Has anyone else out there had similar experiences? Do you still ride?

Kind regards
    Ben

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

That sounds a bit bleak. I broke my scaphoid in 1995 and it was only diagnosed 3 years later as I complained that the wrist had lost mobility. The surgeon carried out a bone graft and it healed over 4 months in plaster but I still have limited mobility.

I guess what I’m saying is- even if they have to fuse it you will still be able to ride, it might be worth riding with a wrist guard/support in the meantime to slow down any further damage through wear and tear.

Hope the solution allows you to ride your bike.

myopic
    Free Member

I’m in exactly the same position, Ben. First break was over 35 years ago, and turns out I’d broken it at least twice since. I had always had some discomfort in it from time to time, but nothing that held me back, then it started to swell after longer rides. By time it was properly diagnosed, all cartilage had gone and it had worn about 5-6 mm into the arm bone it butts up against. Doc told me only solution was complete fusion, but he didn’t want to do that until he had to. He told me just to get on and do what I like for as long as I could, and the decision about when to do the op would be when the pain became too much to bear. I asked him if riding would damage it further and he said it would, but it was already so f***ed up it wouldn’t make any difference to the outcome. The op could be done regardless of further deterioration.

That was 5 years ago. I ride 3-4 times a week, but I’m wary of what bike I use where. I wouldn’t ride a rigid down rocky drops for instance, but I would happily do it with decent forks. I’ve managed it by taping it up every ride to minimise movement in the joint and hold everything as snug as possible to avoid it moving about. I sometimes wear a wrist brace as well to give extra support. With that set up I can ride fine, but big hits or sudden jarring really hurt. I usually take an ibuprofen after any rough ride to head off the inevitable swelling and pain I know will happen.

Downside is it’s getting worse. Had another x Ray 7 months ago after a fall and the scaphoid and arm bone are both more worn, to the point where the scaphoid has dropped further over and the other bones are shifting around. It’s getting stiffer, movement is more limited and I dread shaking hands with people – especially the muppets who regard it as some sort of contest to grip and shake as if it’s some kind of contest. My writing was never good, but it has also really deteriorated.

All sounds gloomy, but I haven’t let it hold me back. I love my riding and getting out and what’s the point in giving up something that means a lot to you? I know I’ll need the op some day, but the meantime I’d rather get the fun and fitness benefits of riding, even if it hastens the op, than avoid doing this and other things I like and delaying it. If anything, it makes me appreciate my rides more

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Anyone riding with scaphoid non-union (SNAC), wrist fusion, etc’ is closed to new replies.