Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Anyone own a Qashqai?
  • zippykona

Any major problems with them? Cam belts and rear shocks are moaned about. We would probably get a 2009 so hopefully any issues would have been sorted by now.
    Is the rear leg room adequate for grown ups?
    More importantly is it difficult to get a bike on the roof and if you leave the bike mount on is it noisy?
    Most likely looking at a 1.6 petrol.

nickjb
    Free Member

A friend took one to France a couple of years ago said it was the most uncomfortable car in the back he’d ever been in. That’s about all I know

tthew

I know a couple of owners, don’t have one myself.

The sister and brother in law like theirs, loads of toys, manual diesel engine.
    The other bloke hates his 1.6 auto. Mainly bought for ease of getting in and out and driving for his wife. Thirsty and underpowered. He had a diesel before that but there was a niggly problem that couldn’t be sorted and regrets changing to the petrol.

jambalaya
    Free Member

1.6 doesn’t seem a big enough engine in such a car.

I quite like the look of them and I see plenty as family cars. I considered one briefly but decided to stick with Audi (for 4wd) as I know the brand, will sacrifice space and pay a little more though. Have a look at a Yeti too.

zippykona

Thats good that it’s bad. Mrs Zip likes them I don’t.

CheesybeanZ

My parents had the 1.5 diesel – even the old man at 83 thought it was gutless to drive and having been a rear passenger in it you wouldn’t want to do a long journey in the back seats .

woody2000

I had a 2007 model for 3 years. 1.5 diesel engine was surprisingly good, enough grunt for me and decent economy. They’re not as big as you might think, it was only the same length as a focus, just taller. That said, boot was a good size and there was plenty of room inside. Bit noisy on the motorway as they’re tall, bike carriers didn’t make much difference to that. Comfy, and good over crap roads.

I liked mine, but I had a lot of niggling problems with it (probably as it was first gen) and the dealer back up was crap. Was subject to a couple of recalls IIRC, including the rear shocks. If the dealer back up had been better I’d have probably had another.

Nobby

SIL has a ‘+2’ which she, and her other half, absolutely love. The slightly longer wheelbase seems to make it more comfy/stable & you can fit a shed load of stuff in it if you’re not using the 2 extra seats.

Theirs is a diesel/manual and has always seemed happy when we all trek up & down the motorway for hols etc.

moshimonster
    Free Member

More importantly is it difficult to get a bike on the roof

We have a new one, so can only really comment on above. You need a small step to get a bike on the roof. I’m 6’1″ and can’t do it without. I carry one of those toddler steps in the boot. It’s probably only about 8″ high but makes all the difference.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Pay a little bit more and get a yeti. When you come to trade or sell it on you’ll more than recoup that bit extra. The Nissan value will drop like a stone.

moshimonster
    Free Member

1.5 diesel engine was surprisingly good

The 1.5D is good on the new Qashqai too. I presumed it would be underpowered, but pretty much all reviews suggested it would be fine and a test drive confirmed it. Plenty of torque where you need it, very smooth and quiet. Had it for a month now and very impressed – but this is new model remember. But I would imagine the engine is pretty much the same.

moshimonster
    Free Member

The Nissan value will drop like a stone.

The OP is buying a 2009 Qashqai, so depreciation is going to be in their favour, not against them.

timc
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    1.6 doesn’t seem a big enough engine in such a car.

Surely you look at the output not the engine size?

Anyway 117bhp according to the net, that’s ‘enough’ id have thought.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@timc – I have to say I am quite old school in that regard. Also bhp doesn’t tell you about torque and actual power usability. These small engines produce the HPO but at what rpm and they need to be thrashed like buggary. I am happy with 1.3/1.6 in a small car (eg Yaris/Polo) but 2.0l min for anything bigger

Saccades
    Free Member

I can only speak as a 5’11” rear passenger in a +2 version.

Went from Stockport to Blackpool and back and quite a bit of pottering about too one weekend.

Decent room in the back, engine (1.5D) didn’t appear to be too bothered/stressed considing the car was full – daughter did feel a bit ill on the way home, she was in the back back, but we had stopped at KFC and she had eaten a mountain of stuff in there.

Wife was very impressed with the ability to swop from 5 seater to 7 seater (we have a mondeo estate and I’m resisting changing as it’s a brilliant bus, but it’s such a shame we can’t take her mother with us any where :cynical face:) and the higher driving position.

I wouldn’t like to be sticking a bike on the roof (but my bike weighs 33lb and I like sticking my bikes on the back) as it’ll be quite high.

Nothing stuck out as annoying, although I’d have to get roof rails for the roofbox if using the 7 seater option as there is no storage if you do.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Mrs sts has one that I use reaonably often for biking.

Not exciting to drive but economical enough. Usually sling two bikes in the book without any worries.

Cheap to tax and insure. Usually returns 48mpg on thrashes up to wales/the lakes from southampton.

BigJohn

My sister in law has a 2009 one. They have lots of problems with battery going flat and keyless entry locking them out. A related and common issue she says. They are looking to get rid.

scuttler

There’s loads of white ones around my kids schools in a morning. Kind of says it all really.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve had one as a hire car. It was pleasant enough to drive – perhaps a little slow – with the only real downside I could see was that the boot was very small.

zippykona

My preferred car choice is a Nissan Note 1.6 old style. Plenty of room in the back,cam chain and no need for light bar when using tow bar bike rack.
    Our longest journey is 150 miles once a year.

jools182
    Free Member

Hired one for a week

Build quality seems decent, didn’t sit in the back so can’t comment on comfort there

I thought it was fine, maybe a little underpowered, and sometimes scrabbled around for grip, front wheel drive version

br
    Free Member

Pal has one, feels (and is) small inside (as a front seat passenger).

footflaps

Pay a little bit more and get a yeti Sportage

FTFY.

molgrips
    Free Member

Our longest journey is 150 miles once a year.

😯

Are you in prison?

MoreCashThanDash

Not sure I’d get a 2009 one, but I’ve had later ones as hire cars for work and the 1.5 diesel hustles nicely around the Peak District. Not sporty, but hustles.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Bored….. They’re nice cars that drive nicely 🙂

mogrim

Mate has one and likes it, does a fair amount of long distance driving in it too. He hasn’t mentioned any major problems. We took a look at one (currently changing cars), the middle back seat looked pretty uncomfortable, and the boot’s a bit on the small size (compared to the Scenic we have at the mo, anyway). Otherwise seemed OK.

franki
    Free Member

We’ve had a petrol one for a few years now. (I say we – I don’t drive, it’s the wife’s really.)
    Can’t complain at all. We’ve had nothing more than the usual bit of wear & tear – brakes etc. to fork out for. Fairly plush for the money. Nice to drive (I’m told), reasonable on fuel & no bother doing longer journeys in it. Roomy enough inside and ample boot-space.
    We’d have one again.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I’ve had mine from new in 2010 as a company car. 1.5l diesel manual. I love it, I have found the engine fine. I’m no boy racer and the only stat I care about is mpg. It will average 50mpg bang on for long motorway / A road drives. It can cruise in the 60’s mpg at the right speed and will drop down to averaging 30/40 in town. As said it looks bigger externally than it is – the rear seats might be cramped but no worse than a golf / focus that has a similar wheel base and it has a big boot. My kids sit in the back and they love it as it has a glass roof.

I have had no problems at all in 4 years and would get another one. Really good cars. My previous car was a Renault Scenic and was shit on all accounts but had better space in the back if that’s important to you.

moshimonster
    Free Member

There’s loads of white ones around my kids schools in a morning. Kind of says it all really.

yeah, says they are okay for the school run and white is quite trendy at the moment.

Scamper
    Free Member

We have a 58 Plate 1.5 diesel – its the Tekna, so has leather and all the toys. Bought from a Main Dealer 3 years ago for £12k, now worth I’m guessing around £7-£8k with 55k up. And thinking of selling, OP 😀

Nice engine, enough power, good to drive. No real issues if I recall over three years apart from the air con needing re-gassing recently.

Don’t be fooled – this is a Focus sized car at best. We are selling as the rear is quite cramped and the three year old’s feet are already against the front seat. The boot is an ok size , but the my Wife is moaning about the lack of space.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My pal has one.
    Nice enough, bit boring.

I sat in the back from Edinburgh to Bristol. Was fine. I’m 5′ 11″
    I regularly put my bike up on the roof without any little steps or anything. Bit awkward, but I can do it fine.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I guess it depends on your bike carrier. I’m using a wheel clamping type that holds both front and rear wheels. The bike’s wheelbase is right on the upper limit to squeeze in and would be impossible without a step. I’ve tried and I’m a good couple of inches taller than you. With something like a Thule 591 it would probably be a lot easier as you don’t need to be holding the front wheel straight at the same time as holding the frame. Bottom line is that the roof is a good 6″ higher than an average estate, so needs consideration but not a show stopper.

LenHankie

I think you should retitle this post ‘ Everyone owns a Qashqai’

You can’t move for black Nissan Qashqais near us.

timc
    Free Member

LenHankie – Member
    You can’t move for black Nissan Qashqais near us.

Britains best selling mobility car dont you know! 8)

brassneck

Don’t be fooled – this is a Focus sized car at best. We are selling as the rear is quite cramped and the three year old’s feet are already against the front seat. The boot is an ok size , but the my Wife is moaning about the lack of space.

That was the clincher for me – with 3 kids even the +2 wasn’t quite big enough (the 20″ bike with wheels on boot test..)

Got an S Max so I’m still down with STW.

oldschool

We bought one about 6 months ago, a 58 plate 2.0 diesel. It’s the wife’s car really and I was a bit meh about them and had been looking at something more fun as the second car. However, it’s really good. Economical, quick enough, comfy and plenty if space. To be honest at 6 months I’ll still take this rather than my V60 if nipping somewhere local at a weekend. Paid £7300 for a 58 plate 2.0d with 30k on the clock.

maxlite
    Free Member

Would not touch another Nissan or Renault of which they are the ‘Renault–Nissan Alliance’

Terrible build quality on the Micra and Renault cars I’ve had, you name it, electrics, mechanics etc.

Older Nissans were great

withersea
    Free Member

Had one, loads of problems
    With it, the dealers and Nissan UK. It was one of the first ones rolled out so it was always likely to be problematic. Driving position is great, nightmare in the back with anything more than two people. You barely fit a child in the middle.

dallas95
    Free Member

I’ve had one as a company car for the last 3.5 years. 2.0d Tekna plus 2 version with manual box. Fantastic car that I have enjoyed for every one of it’s 109000 miles and I will be sad to see it go. It has never had any problems and the selectable 4 wheel drive works well. The driving position gives an excellent view in traffic and if Nissan hadn’t dropped the 2.0 diesel engine I would have got another. As for transporting bikes, I use a Thule roof bars/carriers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own a Qashqai?’ is closed to new replies.