Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Anyone had the faulty nano email from Apple?????
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Is this a scam?? Apparently the early versions have a faulty battery and Apple are replacing them for free? Sound dodgy??

epo-aholic
    Free Member

mmmmmmmmm, i’m ‘in the trade’ and haven’t heard about this 😕

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Covered on here a couple of days ago. If it is a scam they have done a good job of getting a page onto Apples servers and they are asking for something pretty old. They send out a box to return them in so I guess if it is a Nigerian PO box I won’t bother but seems ok otherwise.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thanks Drac, missed that first time round! Never thought to look on apples sites

Drac

No worries and thanks as I forgot the wife had one so you’ve reminded me and it’s now going to be replaced.

muggomagic

I got the email today. What will they be replaced with? Will it be a new nano or are they just replacing the battery?

EDIT: Just looked around on google and it seems it will be a replacement 1st gen nano. I’m guessing they won’t have that many 1st gen nanos around so I might hang onto mine for a bit in the hope they run out and replace it with a new one.

SBrock
    Free Member

It’s not a scam iron the apple uk site, sadly my 1st gen nano isn’t part of the program

wrightyson
    Free Member

Filled it in and my little box is on the way!

Drac

I’m guessing they won’t have that many 1st gen nanos around so I might hang onto mine for a bit in the hope they run out and replace it with a new one.

I reckon they might have a few lying around waiting for new batteries to go in.

antigee

thanks to who ever posted on here the other day – i did check the url carefully! and then had to deal with one of the kids having used my email address to create an apple login – mine usually kept in gym bag in car as emergency back up – guess if car had burnt out last thing would have thought of blaming think it said 6 weeks to return so i guess some kids in china will be swopping batteries and polishing them up a bit

druidh
    Free Member

Maybe I overlooked it.

Could they not have sent out a normal sized one instead?

xcgb
    Free Member
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yay

Just applied for my replacement.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

It’s a like-for-like replacement

http://mashable.com/2011/11/13/ipod-nano-replacements/

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The announcement seems suitably vague though – enough to put off lots of people from bothering to send theirs back if they think they will only get an identical replacement. If they admit they are sending out 6Gen ones then everyone and his dog will be looking under mattresses for their old unit in order to get a nice new one.

I am sending mine back anyway as it gets used daily and I don’t fancy it setting our car alight.

rondo101
    Free Member

Could do with knowing what they’re replacing them with. Newer models won’t charge using the Wife’s MX5 Bose ipod cable & my 1st gen one is left permanantly attached to it for that very reason. I’m probably one of the few people wanting a “like-for-like” replacement.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

It’s a like-for-like replacement

http://mashable.com/2011/11/13/ipod-nano-replacements/

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

RAD – have you actually read the article you have linked to twice now?

When we asked Apple how many of those first-generation iPod Nanos were available for the recall, the company was not willing to reveal that information.

We wanted to know why Apple wasn’t more specific about which iPod Nanos would be used as replacements in its original announcement, but the company wouldn’t answer that question, either.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Yes. The bit where it says they will be sending out 1st generation nanos

Mashable talked with an Apple spokesperson on the phone, who confirmed the company will be sending first-generation iPod Nanos

suggests to me they will be sending out 1st generation nanos

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes but the SUBSEQUENT paragraph is where it becomes less clear…

Mashable talked with an Apple spokesperson on the phone, who confirmed the company will be sending first-generation iPod Nanos to those whose serial numbers match the units with defective batteries.

When we asked Apple how many of those first-generation iPod Nanos were available for the recall, the company was not willing to reveal that information.

So they claim to be sending out the originals but won’t/can’t say how many they have to actually replace which suggests to me they might have some to cover a small replacement programme, but might end up having to replace with newer models if too many people take up the offer.

simon_g

Applied, got bag & box in the post and sent it off yesterday.

I’ll be happy to get a perfect, shiny replacement 1GB one back to abuse for a few more years, but will be equally happy with a more recent replacement.

Given how complicated opening one up and replacing the battery is (they go together easily on the assembly line but opening one without damaging it is incredibly tricky), I can’t see how they’ll refurbish hundreds of thousands of the things in any reasonable time. Unless they kept back huge warehouses of them, they won’t have units available to ship out. They’d need an army of very skilled people to do it, they’ll need a load of replacement backs for engraved models, and take the time to do full tests on everything sent out. It would rapidly get to the point where just sending out a refurb current (or previous gen) Nano is more cost-effective. Nano sales seem pretty flat these days anyway, they probably have a stockpile of them somewhere.

Apple will be keeping tight-lipped because they don’t want it reported as “hey, send in your old one, get a shiny new one for free!”.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Apple in being vague shocka.

You’re making assumptions there and I’m inclined to go with what they’ve actually stated rather than reading between the lines.

Maybe it will happen but I think that those who received an old one might get upset when subsequent people get a new one and that won’t look good.

simon_g

Also, call me cynical, but a website claiming to have spoken to an un-named Apple rep and getting that response, when no-one else has got the same? A suspiciously good way of driving traffic to your advertising-heavy site, no?

atlaz
    Free Member

I got the email. If my wife could be bothered to go into the loft to find an old Nano (I’m 400 miles away), I’d send it in immediately.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Mashable is a huge site (50+ million monthly pageviews according to Wiki) with a focus on technology – I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve managed to get someone at Apple to spill the beans over, say, the Daily Fail.

I’m quite happy to be proved wrong though as I’m waiting for my box as we speak!

globalti
    Free Member

They’ve probably got a massive stock of unsold Nanos they want to dispose of. I changed my battery about 2 years ago and vowed I would never do it again so I’m sure they won’t be doing that, it’s a complete ball-ache.

xcgb
    Free Member

They’ve probably got a massive stock of unsold Nanos

All with potentially dodgy batteries though!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve a 1st generation nano, just checked the serial number and it’s not being recalled 😥

float
    Free Member

awww bugger i threw mine away a few years ago 😡

wrightyson
    Free Member

The original email from apple says:
    If you have a personalised iPod nano, you will receive a non-personalised replacement. Make sure you use iTunes to back up any data on your current iPod nano before sending it in for a replacement unit.
    I presume from that you’ll get a fully refurbed version and not one with a screwdriver mark down the side where they’ve forced it open, and then just stuck a new battery in!

wrightyson
    Free Member

The original email from apple says:
    If you have a personalised iPod nano, you will receive a non-personalised replacement. Make sure you use iTunes to back up any data on your current iPod nano before sending it in for a replacement unit.
    I presume from that you’ll get a fully refurbed version and not one with a screwdriver mark down the side where they’ve forced it open, and then just stuck a new battery in!

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Anyone had their box yet? I applied a week ago and seen nothing

xcgb
    Free Member

Nope
    3 of us in the office have registered but no boxes yet from a week ago

njee20
    Free Member

No box for me either.

Mine went through the washing machine, which killed the screen, but I still use it (and it works perfectly) in the car, because it has no other use I have no qualms with it living permanently in my glovebox – the theives are welcome to it! Be interested to see if they quibble though, as it sort of technically doesn’t work!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Still no box!!

beanum

The thing with Apple is that they’re really good at controlling stock. It’s always surprised me how quickly a new iPod is available in the shops after being announced and, more importabtly, how quickly the old model disappears from the shelves…
    It wouldn’t surprise me if they have a lot of old kit lying around..

I was hoping for a new Nano though… 🙂

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

My box was shipped on the 19th – should be here today then even if they sent it second class

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not seen my box yet either.

Rio

I ordered my box on Friday, I’m hoping that by ordering late they’ll have run out of old nanos to replace it with and maybe I’ll get a new one… but more realistically I expect I’ll get one of the first ones sent back but refurbished. 🙁 I wonder what they do if you had the personalised engraving on the case?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had the faulty nano email from Apple?????’ is closed to new replies.