Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • anyone got a Yeti
  • solman
    Free Member

Anyone got a Yeti ASR5?

Do you like it?

How does it compare to your previous/other bike?

I’m demoing one on Sat, and considering a change from my Trek EX

althepal

Have a 575 but sometimes wish I’d got an ASR5. Was getting a bit more “gnar” at the time so the 575 was a step up from my old enduro.. Love it tho, lovely bike!

bigjim

😀

I finished building mine last weekend and rode it on monday at Innerleithen. Completely blown away by it, it is a hooligan of a bike, just makes you throw it into corners and push it until you are exhausted. I finished the ride thinking I need to join the gym and get better brakes! I really can’t understand how it can be so different from the giant trance I had before. I would really recommend one, enjoy the demo 😉

variflex
    Free Member

Fantastic!
    I have an ali asr5 an on-One 456c and a whyte 829. Asr 5 is the dogs you know whats for trails my way. Is as good up hill as downhill and is super light. Note that the carbon frame doesnt have cable runs for dropper seat post whereas ali does. Have a demo u will love it

stewartc
    Free Member

Had my Alloy ASR-5 for around 9 months now and it is one of the best bikes I have ever owned, fast uphill and downhill though it can be a little unforgiving on the more gnarly trails if you do not ride with 100% confidence. Just upgraded to a Blur TRc though I still have the frame, just not in the mood to sell it (note: wife has other opinions on this).

solman
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, looking forward to my demo tomorrow 🙂

What size do you have? I’m 6 ft exactly and demoing a medium tomorrow, although can see that Yeti recommend a large for my height.

scruff
    Free Member

Yetis generally come up big.

ricardo666
    Free Member

My trek ex8 2008 picked up s/h, is good which is a 15″ has been brilliant for a first full sus.

But the Yeti blows it away. Its lively, solid feel, bit on the large side for the small. I tried a medium in the carbon but was too big for little me. I’m 5’5″ by the way.

The full carbon version is awesome, but I couldnt justify the extra pennies. Just to have it for weekends and holidays.

Dont think I’ll be buying another bike in the forseeable future.

DougD

6ft on a medium asr 5 alloy, fits perfectly.

It’s incredible. Out on the black at GT last week, massive s*** eating grin all the way round and off to inners tomorrow. cannae wait.

Kryton57

6 months in to ASR-5 ownership here. After testing 8 120mm bikes over 10 weekends I knwe it was the bike for me as soon as I sat on it.

I’m riding mine at 120mm, with an XT build/Thompson and it comes in about 26.25lbs. I’ve raced it, ridden it in Wales, Peaslake and my local forest singletrack. I’m 5’11 and ride a medium (80mm stem).

IMO its a superb all round bike. Light enough for amateur events, excellent confidence and handling, confy but also stiff and “tight”. I agree with the comments above – it’ll really blast through most of the UK trails, but when it gets REALLY rough you need to have confidence and push it over the ground.

It really is a great bike with an ability over and above its 120mm / “Trail” guise and no real quirks, but it will get you into true 160mm territory before you know it!

I’d buy one again, no doubt. Its just one of those frames where you can “feel” you’ve stepped up in quality.

mttm
    Free Member

Anyone got a Yeti ASR5?

Yes, ASR-5a that I’ve had for a little over a year now.

Do you like it?

Oh, yes – superb for my riding.

How does it compare to your previous/other bike?

Previous bike was a Mythic (aka Banshee) Spitfire, and before that an older model Five (’05). The ASR and the Spitty are surprisingly similar in many respects, in fact I got the Yeti because it was as close to the Spitfire as I could get. Both are low slung, slack and quite long, and both – under my eleven stone, anyway – are nice and stiff. The Yeti is lighter and generally quicker over most terrain, but for descending the nod would probably still go to the Spitfire. The builds are slightly different between the two bikes, though. I’d “overbuilt” the Spitfire a tad so dropped back to a lighter build on the ASR. Both bikes descend and corner well (140 fork in my Yeti), and I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed in an ASR-5.

My initial concerns about the carbon rear end proved unfounded, and the bike regularly does smaller jumps and drops (think Llandegla black). It came off Snowdon a few weeks back and was very competent and unflustered. Mines not built as a race bike, but it is rather light for the level of “burl”.

One year in and my ASR has just had new shock bushes (in total, original, one new bush, and now complete new hardware for the lower mount). I’ve also just ordered a bearing kit as I noticed the dogbone bearings have indexed quite badly, so time for a replacement. I’m quite happy with this – it’s a fairly normal rate of wear given that it’s ridden a lot and through all weathers.

Here’s a pic:

Anything else?

Kryton57

This is mine, bought as ex-demo with car park milage only, now with Sun ringle BF wheels running tubeless NNics:

yeti by kryton57, on Flickr

tracknicko
    Free Member

i have a DJ. it’s ace.

cheers.

bigjim

Mine is a large and I’m just over 6’4″. I think the XL would have been pretty massive as the large feels good and long, though I am running quite a long stem just now.

Recycler
    Free Member

I had a demo of a ASR5a two weeks ago and posted under the thread of Yeti ASR5 Vs Zesty. I said the following:

Thought I’d give a quick update following my demo ride on Sunday. Thanks to JD cycles of Ilkley for organising what seemed to be a great afternoon for all who came along.

I thought that up close the ASR5 ooozed class and fortunately was specced exactly as I would want it to be – Fox float 140mm up front with a predominantly XT groupset and Thomson seatpost and stem. So, no excuses regarding inferior kit.

The ride is very, very good indeed. The bike was light in weight, but not flimsy and climbed very well. I felt I could have stayed in the saddle all day as the levels of comfort were brilliant.

On the twisty singletrack descent, the Yeti was very steady and controlled (wasn’t too gnarley)but did lack the hooligan feeling I always get from the Zesty. Having said that, I didn’t miss it either – perhaps that is my age coming into play.

In summary, it’s an excellent bike (pricey) that covers all the bases in terms ofall day comfort, mountain goat climber and confident descender. Everything I now want in a bike.

I am seriously, seriously considering getting one.

Hope that helps and enjoy the demo

solman
    Free Member

again thanks everyone for the info.

@kryton – you mentioned you’re running it at 120mm, is that the front and rear or just the front?

Superficial
    Free Member

I love mine, it really encourages you to rag it downhill and stomp it up climbs. It’s feels like a precision tool for slicing a line into your trails.

What size do you have? I’m 6 ft exactly and demoing a medium tomorrow, although can see that Yeti recommend a large for my height.

Yetis are big. I’m 6′ and mine’s a medium, I think it’s great. I haven’t tried a large though. I suspect a large would be a much racier stretched out position.

Just upgraded to a Blur TRc

‘Upgraded’ eh? I always liked the look of the TRc and would have bought one over the Yeti if money was no object. Although I’ve since ridden an LTc which I found uninspiring so I’m happy I ended up with the Yeti. Just out of interest, what made you fancy the change? I’d be interested to hear how they compare.

One year in and my ASR has just had new shock bushes

Wow. I’ve owned mine for 4 months now and already replaced the lower bush twice.

mttm
    Free Member

Wow. I’ve owned mine for 4 months now and already replaced the lower bush twice.

The original DU bush went in five hours – it was just too damn tight and chewed itself to bits. I had some spare polymer bushes so popped one in and reasembled using the original mount hardware and it did the next twelve months with no worries. Just replaced that DU bush and the original mount hardware completely with some very nice stuff sourced from e-bay.

Edit – forgot to add 5′ 9″ and on a medium with a 70mm stem. Yeti’s need an inline post for the sizing to really make sense.

meesterbond

I’ve had a an ASR5c for a year or so… lovely bike which replaced a 5-Spot.

Couple of thoughts though… I went for the carbon version after testing the alloy one and thinking that the carbon would be even better. With hindsight, there’s very little between the two in practice and with the ASR5c you are limited to 120mm forks (I think), plus the routing for the Reverb is ugly.

Don’t get me wrong, the ASR5c is a top bike and I love it, but the extra cash would have probably been better spent on better wheels or beer.

tonyd

A friend bought an ASR5 (alu) a year or so ago and absolutely loves it, his riding has improved no end. I rode the demo bike he had and was blown away by it, it’s one of those where you wonder where all the extra speed is coming from. Before buying my Orange Five I demo’d a lot of 140mm bikes, including the 575 which I didn’t enjoy much at all. The ASR though is in a different league. As above, lively but planted and confidence inspiring.

If I was in the market for a new bike I think I’d get one. At 120mm travel it’s much better suited to general UK riding I think.

vondally
    Free Member

not got the asr5 but had the sl-r medium and still have a yeti asr 7 in med at 6ft the 7 is a great fit in med the sl-r in med was i felt too small and i should have got a large. I would try before i buy if you can.
    The 7 is a great bike and a tremendous climber i can only imagine the asr 5 is more capable.

andrewh
    Free Member

Got an ASR-carbon. Fastest thing I’ve ever riden.
    I’m 5’11” and with the seatmast uncut a medium is bang on for me, 90mm stem.
    It’s my second actually, warrenty service is pretty good.
    Would love a 575 if my big bike ever gives up the ghost.

Kryton57

solman – Member
    again thanks everyone for the info.

@kryton – you mentioned you’re running it at 120mm, is that the front and rear or just the front?

The rear isn’t adjustable – its fixed at 127mm. I’m riding 120mm at the front (Fox F120 FIT). Note (the Yeti website tells you this) this still gives you a 68 degree angle, which IMO is ther perfect angle for having fun in the UK for Trail centre type riding, and lowers the front a tad for some real grip in the singletrack corners.

2 weekends ago I posted the 4th faster ever Strava time for the Graveyard at Afan on it 😀

stewartc
    Free Member

Superficial – I had a large frame and it was just too big for me, I’m 5’9″ with 30 inch legs so it was always tight. Was going to get a Medium frame after a little windfall but saw the Blur TRc frame and thought, why not and it helped that all the components went straight across bar half the headset.
    Busted my ribs so not had a real ride on the TRc yet, but the short 1 hour after build test ride felt good barring the agony, she is noticably stiffer and lighter than the ASR-5 though I should be able to get a real idea if its a step up or down in another week or so when recovered.

solman
    Free Member

@kryton cheers for the info 🙂

If I buy, I’ll be moving my components across from the EX9 so already have F120 FIT which bodes well (the non DRCV version).

One last question… did the frame come with the 142×12 drop out replacements for the rear?

Kryton57

It didn’t, but you can but them aftermarket (or convince your LBS to add them presale).

I have no issues with a standard QR though.

solman
    Free Member

No issues with QR also, its just the current bike came with 142×12 rear so would be easier if it came with the dropouts.

now really looking forward to the demo!

Superficial
    Free Member

I bought an axle set with mine – it cost £50 for the ‘chipset’ (bit of a ripoff…) and £30 for a Shimano thru-axle. It’s a nice convenient setup and works well, and the bike feels very stiff. Having said that, the QR version I demo’d also felt really stiff anyway.

I understand that Yeti have changed the wording on the warranty for the ASR5c – now the carbon version is alright with 140mm forks. But yeah, I’ve heard that the carbon isn’t noticeably stiffer than the alloy one, and the £600 ish price difference is hard to stomach for half a pound less weight (IMO). Of course, if you’re building the ‘ultimate trail bike’ it might need to be carbon.

Kryton57

One thing solman – get the shock pressure right for your demo. The ASR-5 is not a finicky as some, but there’s a difference between 20% & 30% sag thats noticable – BMW sport handling (20%) to Merc comfort handling or thereabouts (30%). Both are good – just different in the eyes of your preference.

In mine and many peoples opinion the ASR5 goes better downhill at 30% sag.

The general rule of thumb for ASR5’s I’ve heard is your weight in pounds minus 5 psi. That resulted in 170 Psi for me, but I prefer 165. I can go down to 155psi for 30% sag and Uber comfort. 165 gives me 25% sag.

Kryton57

Just out of interest, I tested an EX9 the weekend before the ASR-5. Until that weekend I was sold on the EX9 b ut it just feels souless compared to the Yeti.

Bet you a beer you buy it 😉

scruzer
    Free Member

As above really. had mine 10 month and love it. Have a 2007 575 too and the 5 outshines that in all directions. Rear shock settings are worth messing with to find your ideal. Go buy (alloy)!!

solman
    Free Member

I may owe you a beer soon 🙂

I’ll post an update post demo. thanks all.

fathomer

I’m not liking this thread, I’ve been lusting after an asr5 for ages, no real reason, I’ve never ridden a FS, I just want one, really want one!

Paceman
    Free Member

Love my 575. Sizing comes up big, a medium Yeti being about the same as a large Santa Cruz.

bigjim

here’s mine

jad
    Free Member

My bicycle by alanach, on Flickr

Nice bikes. Shock bush doesn’t last long and mine feels far far better with a 90mm stem. The 70mm made it horribly upright (for me anyway). Oh and the black paint looks scruffy after a bit.

ma-maracas
    Free Member

Wouldn’t swap my asr5 alloy, demo’d a few before I bought, but for uphill/downhill I couldn’t find better. Enjoyed the ibis Mojo, but on tamer stuff it flattened the trail too much and made things boring. You still have to ride the yeti rather than letting the bike compensate bad riding. I run a 120mm fork, droppost and 2×10, weighing in at 26lbs, and for Welsh trail Centres etc it s awesome, downhilling in the alps was the only time I’ve wished I was running a 140mm fork. For general UK trails it climbs so much better with a 120mm fork, so a better comparmise. A year in and no desire to swap. 5ft 11 with a medium and 90mm stem.

ma-maracas
    Free Member

I’ve also done a set of shock bushings in a year. Cheap, easy fix though.

solman
    Free Member

Just posting an update following my test ride of the Yeti ASR5 yesterday.

Absolutely awesome bike. As many people have said you just don’t stop pedalling. I need to get fitter!
    In terms of spec the demo bike was identical to my trek, except for the hope brakes which were a bit weak. However, I was surprised at how different the front felt. The bike just carved through turns. Very responsive, in fact too responsive as I stacked once as the bike turned quicker than expected.
    I had the shock set up for 20-25% sag, and whilst it felt very firm it didn’t feel uncomfortable. Like the wife’s golf gti.

Sizing wise, I tested a medium and I felt it was a little short for me. I had the saddle pushed right back and still felt very upright and over the front. As this would be my only bike for short and long rides a large would fit better.

So I’ve ordered one! Should get it next week

emma82
    Free Member

Husband has an asr5 carbon and loves it. I usually inherit his old bikes when he gets bored and we sell mine but he’s had it a fair while and hasnt mentioned changing 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘anyone got a Yeti’ is closed to new replies.