Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone got a Nissan qashqai?
  • bash
    Free Member

Looking for a new car and quite fancy the look of the Qashqai. Seems to get good reviews in all the magazines but would appreciate some real world reviews, especially regarding reliability.

Travel around 20k miles for work a year and carry a fair amount of stuff so looking for good fuel consumption and reliability.

vim_fuego
    Free Member

Yep, 1.5dci tekna, all good so far, computer shows 53mpg. It’s pleasant to drive, comfortable, handles all the potholes well, it’s a car.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP, have a search on here quite a few posts/threads on the car.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

Really uncomfortable in the back. This may or may not be an issue.

Tallpaul

New, new or used? If the latter, what age/specification?

Lots of hate on here, but really a perfectly capable vehicle if it meets your requirements. If it doesn’t, other cars are available.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Had mine 5 years now with no problems, its not a petrolheads car more a decent value for money all rounder. I have the Ntec which has loads of toys all of which work simply and effectively. I’d have another.

mrchrispy

How are they for ‘making progress’ and it there a handy pocket for my leather string back driving gloves?

beanum

We’ve got a 4×4 diesel Tekna and it’s very reliable I’d say. We’ve had it 5 years and it’s done 80,000km so far. The interior has picked up some rattles, but other than that nothing major has broken. We had to replace a Xenon bulb last year though which was e x p e n s i v e…

The auto gearbox is too low-geared for my liking, it changes down to first at junctions and roundabouts which winds me up. With winter tyres in snow conditions it’s pretty impressive, especially with the diff lock.

robw1
    Free Member

got a petrol version (1.6) as we didn’t think we would do enough miles to warrant the extra spend on buying a diesel (2nd hand). its pretty good as a family car. plenty of space, good on motorways and not too underpowered.
    fairly dull though as a car and yes the back seats are not comfortable for an adult.

Overall though id say they are pretty good.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

We have the 1.2 chosen because of the mix of town to open road driving. Average mid 40’s on a rough 50/50 split between the 2.

It’s spacious, economical and uninspiring basically it’s just a car.

Steering is dull and lacks feel, engine is so quiet you can barely tell it’s running, gearbox, while it changes quite positively it’s a bit frustrating (I find it so anyway) if you approach a roundabout and slow down to 5-10 mph you need to drop it into 1st to pull away again.

On the 1.2 don’t try and do anything quickly, driving requires planning and even my wife describes it as a “bimbly” car, it’s just not worth hurrying.

If driving isn’t really your “thing” it’s probably great, for me it’s just dull.

Numerous electrical oddities as well, the front parking sensors hate when it rains, warnings pop-up about stop-start system failures and other weird glitches. Nothing either permanent or fatal, just annoying and the dealer just gave us the brush off. Engine seems to use a lot of oil to which the dealer said “all modern cars do, it’s because of the thin oil modern engines run with.” I was speechless!

chrissyboy
    Free Member

We’ve got a ’64 plate diesel NTec. We like it – frugal for it’s size, really well equipped.

Baldie, there’s a dealer fix for your front parking sensors now – just give them a ring!

baldiebenty
    Free Member

chrissyboy, it did go in for some “re-programming” as a recall a while ago, it hasn’t rained heavy enough since to see if it works.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

I also feel I should add that in the spirit of fairness my wife loves the Qashqai, I just think it’s a bit dull YMMV

chorlton
    Free Member

We’ve had a 7 seat 1.5dci +2 for a few months now and think it’s great. Very comfy and nice to drive. Much better than the Zafira it’s replaced

I_Ache
    Free Member

Did a few hundred miles in my brothers as a passenger over the weekend. It is a very pleasant place to be. Probably nicer than my Focus truth be told. It seemed well put together with the only issue that I noticed being a whistling coming from the passenger mirror area.

It it the current shape and quite a high spec model, but not top, and has the 1.5 diesel engine which is gutless. Especially as I am used to a 250bhp Focus. On a 250 mile cruz upto scotland it returned around 60mpg which is about double what I would get from my focus so as always its swings and roundabouts.

I believe the engine is the same as the 1.5 diesel in the current Mercedes A180. My wife has an A180 and the engine is pretty good for a small diesel. You don’t get the usual nothing, nothing, nothing, POWER, nothing, nothing, nothing, as you do with a lot of small diesel engines(Ford I am looking at you). It seems to feel more naturally aspirated than most, why this is I have no idea.

spectabilis
    Free Member

The Mrs has just bought something new to replace her 13plate Base model 1.5d qashqai.
    Looks like cack, gutless not great on fuel, looks big from outside but hardly any bigger than a standard hatch inside and fairly uncomfortable to be in too. I can genuinely not think of anything positive to say about it. A pointless vehicle IMO

nealglover
    Free Member

A rep at work has one and she loves it, have been a passenger on a couple of long ish drives and its a nice comfy place to be. We are thinking about a used 1.5 diesel as our next car so good to hear the positive comments.

Engine seems to use a lot of oil to which the dealer said “all modern cars do, it’s because of the thin oil modern engines run with.” I was speechless!

Why ?

Seems like a fair enough comment. Among other factors such as increased running temperatures, the thinner synthetic oils used in modern engines does increase the oil consumption compared to older engines.

It’s why a lot of manufacturers now put the oil consumption figures in the handbook.

withersea
    Free Member

Had one, loved it and hated it. Doesn’t carry five adults, big on the outside small on the inside. Starting to look dated unless you’ve got the latest face lift model. Real killer for me was tooooooootally sh!t customer service from 2 x Nissan dealers and Nissan UK. Faults, fuel pump failure, internal door handle (v common fault, not great not being able to get out of your car), keyless entry failed numerous times, xenon lamp fail outside of warranty £400! That should be enough…buy a kia sportage with a decent warranty. Job done.

Del

had one as a hire car recently. it had all the toys and they made it. good for what i needed it for – going across the country and finding my way. efficient and pokey enough. wouldn’t want one day to day, but my buying criteria are probably different to yours.

bash
    Free Member

Jesus, come home from work to find all this….. Cheers guys.

Most of the time it’s just me in the car so inside space isn’t too much of a problem. Think I’ll have a test drive, looking at the new Mondeo too just can’t decide what I want really.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

re : nealglover and the oil usage.
    I just think it’s a bit of a fob off. Given the market the Qashqai sells too is it really a good idea having it blow through 2+ litres of oil in 12000ish miles? Turbos especially are sensitive to a lack of oil.

If it’s losing oil at that sort of rate there’s a problem, funnily enough, just after a service the oil usage drops as I check it on a paranoid basis now, get towards the service interval oil usage ramps up and I have to top it up every couple of weeks as the Mrs does a fair number of miles in it. Luckily Asda do the right grade.

Oh and just remembered the cars handbook is shocking, expects you to know the engine model name rather than the size and car to figure out the correct oil grade, then once you decipher all the various numbers and codes you find out they all take the same frickin’ oil anyway! (IIRC anyway 🙂 )

Although it does have the neat idea which I haven;t seen before of a rubber oil catcher around the filler cap so if you don’t quite hit the spot when refilling it it doesn’t end up going all down the engine block. Sort of indicates to me that they know you’re gonna be filling that baby up quite regularly (mental note, must get a funnel)

nealglover
    Free Member

I just think it’s a bit of a fob off. Given the market the Qashqai sells too is it really a good idea having it blow through 2+ litres of oil in 12000ish miles? Turbos especially are sensitive to a lack of oil.

If it’s losing oil at that sort of rate there’s a problem

Possibly not a good idea, but that doesn’t mean there is a mechanical problem.

Modern engines are designed to run hotter than older engines (something to do with emissions) and the synthetic oil used is far thinner than older engines use.

Both those factors lead to oil consumption being greater, without there being any mechanical faults.

You aren’t being fobbed off when they explain it to you, they are just explaining a design change that results in something that you aren’t used to, and maybe don’t like because it “seems” like a fault.

2 litres of oil over an average years mileage doesn’t seem too excessive to be honest.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Nissan qashqai?’ is closed to new replies.