Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • anyone got a macpac citadel NZCOL maybe ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Summer touring time is nearly upon us ! was all set to buy a hilleberg nallo GT on BIGALUS recommendation when i read reviews saying it was tight on space for guys at 5 foot 11 and that the macpac was a better length – im 6 ft 3 so if 5ft 11 guys find it tight ill be bursting through it.

Is the macpac comparible in quality to the hilleberg? there isnt much in it price wise as the macpac seems to only be at RRP or very close and the hilleberg is heavily discounted most places to nearly half price.

finally – anyone know any good macpac dealers in the uk. I dont think i really have time to ship it over from nz – how ever if the price is good ill look into it , although last time i shipped a box from nz it cost nearly 200 dollars

NZCol

Ello-don’t own one but have slept in one. Nice design, reasonably roomy for two tight for 3. I use a minaret which is ok for me at 5’11” on the long side , my 5’9″ wife is fine on the other side. Good gear storage and quite light. We have 2 actually both about 8-9 yrs old. I have to say that macpac tents are about the only things left that are quality, still nowhere near as good a the older stuff though. I have also had 4 people in a Macrolight which was erm cosy !
    If you want me to get you one I can – massive macpac shop below my office. When do you need it ?

vinnyeh

Macpac quality is topnotch- I’ve had a 2 man Celeste for 21 years, and while it doesn’t get the use now that it used to, I’ve had nil problems with it in that time, and there’s still no problems with the fabric.
    I used Scottish Mountain Gear to find a replacement pole after I lost one- they’re the authorised repair agents for these isles- might be worth contacting them for a bit of feedback and advice.

NZCol

They started making the tents and bags in china about 2003/4. Tent quality dipped badly but better again, I still see and hear of lots more repairs than before that. The packs are not great now-I have 2003 race packs that have been abused and in that time have trashed new ones. Macpac itself was sold to a vc who so bought fairy down. If you ever want good gear earth sea sky is still nz made. That’s about it. And icebreaker is even worse- lower grade merino and utter p1sh quality.

Minaret is 675 for me and citadel 989

vinnyeh

My experience isn’t very relevant then. 🙂

Growing up, macpac was the go-to brand for outdoor stuff- nothing came close for quality for the money in NZ- and Earth Sea Sky was pretty much casual, not performance clothing. Funny how things change.

ElShalimo

Hilleberg are very good but have silly prices so are out of reach of lesser mortals. Ask yourself, are you really going to use it in winter in Scandinavia. If no then buy something slightly cheaper but equally robust.
    If you want a Hilleberg then call Alpenstock for a good price.
    Helsport are similar Hilleberg, this looks good

Macpac Citadel here for £440 from a reputable UK shop

I would have a serious look at Lightwave Tents – they are excellent.
    ]This may be suitable.

trail_rat
    Free Member

no but there is a high chance ill use it in winter in scotland at above sea level …

i had a quick look round col , i dont think NZ can compete price wise as elshamino shows its about 440 for the citadel over here.

the hilleberg can be had for about 40 quid more , the price was never the issue its more it must have decent space – i cycled round new zealand living in a vaude taurus ultralite with the mrs – can anyone say coffin – said id never do that again !

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.lightwave.uk.com/en/tent_t20trekxt.php

like the look of this

the t30 you linked too is just too heavy and big for the 2 of us.

ElShalimo

Sorry I thought you wanted 3 man as the Citadel is a 3-man

The Hillerberg tents can be double poled for additional stability in storms but if you’re cycle touring then you’re not likely to bring additional poles.
    My mate has a Lightwave and I reckon they are on a par with Terra Nova. If it was my cash I’d be checking one out.

ElShalimo

You must see it erected as it says 225cm inner lenght but how much of it is usable length? If the foot end has 50cm inner height then its not very useful. But if the full height inner stretches back say 80-100cm then you have lots of room to sit up in for cooking etc. so it doesn’t matter
    Tunnel tents have a slight advantage in that respect but unless pitched correctly a semi-geodesic is a better bet

trail_rat
    Free Member

citadel is light weight for a 3 man – next one down in macpac is too small.

good point on the height thing – ill see what i can see …..

ElShalimo

The bloke who owns/runs Lightwave (Carol?) replies to emails directly so he could help you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

already did that at lunch time – email sent !

NZCol

That Citadel is quite large when packed – i just looked at one on my way into the office. My minaret isn’t exactly small either. I use an MSR Hubba Hubba HP for bike tuoring and lightweight alpine. It has survived a good few storms and has enough space.

trail_rat
    Free Member

already looked at the hubba hubba – it came up on the same list but a couple we toured for a bit in NZ had one. certainly good for the tall – he towered over me !

doesnt seem to have much of a porch ? but lots of inside space meaning any wet gear has to come inside the tent – or have i got that wrong ?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Hubba Hubbas have two porches with dual entry, ooo err matron. They have tons of interior usable space , pitch free standing, good ventiltion and lightish weight. I really like mine, so much so I bought another one man Hubba. Mesh interior might be chilly in Scotland.

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye they have 2 porches but the size of the porches is small in comparison to the citadel or the hilleberg non ?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve no idea how big they are, but I could easily store four panniers in one side on my Hubba Hubba. If more space is important and there are two of you, consider a gear shed add on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

might be an option but then we are back to more weight , and more to carry although i do like the freestanding ability of the main tent compared to tunnels. – but in nz it was a godsend due to loads of rocky campsites but in scotland its unlikely to be that bad,

just decided now i want comfort for touring now weights not important as we are both fairly fit now where as in nz i was carrying most of the stuff as mrs tr wasnt as fast as she is now !

tonybain
    Free Member

Hi Trail rat,

We are a small Adventure Activity provider in mid Wales, I’m a Kiwi and we sell Macpac products here. We don’t have an tents in stock or large stock here, but If they are in the European suppliers stock we can have it in 2 days for you. You can contact us through http://www.greendragonactivities.co.uk or call direct on 07900266353

NZCol

Citadel is prob best choice for you then. Enjoy summer, we didn’t have it this year !!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘anyone got a macpac citadel NZCOL maybe ?’ is closed to new replies.