Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Anyone got a Dyson handheld/cordless vacuum and are they any good?
  • organic355
    Free Member

reviews seem fairly mixed on them, but battery life seems to have improved. The are quite expensive though. Was looking at the DC 59 animal which is £350!! 8O, but was going to use Tescos vouchers to get one.

Think we would use one a lot as its such a hassle getting the big hoover Dyson out to do the stairs or to give the bedroom a once over.

Just wondering if any one has one and which model?

Also wasnt sure what the difference was with the “Animal” versions, is it just HEPA filters? I have pretty bad hayfever and we also have 2 cats, so would probably opt for one of those models anyway.

honeybadgerx

We’ve got a big dyson which is great, and would like a hand held but as you say, mega money! Not sure I can justify it over just getting a cheap one really. If things are really manky I’d just use the big one anyway.

DrJ

I’ve had one for a couple of years as I only have a small flat and no space to store a big vacuum. I find it really good for small spaces as there is no cord to get wrapped round table legs etc. The battery life is not bad – you get a wall mount thing so you can leave it plugged in if you want. One issue is that it goes from “working fine” to “completely dead” in an instant, so you don’t get any warning of needing a recharge. The extra nozzles and stuff are also good.

I wouldn’t buy one if I had a lot of carpet in a proper house, but for my wooden floored flat, it’s just the job. If it broke tomorrow, I’d probably buy a new one.

EDIT – mine is the DC35

DrP

Big Dyson fan here…
    Have a big one, and a handheld one.
    They are both teh awsumz…
    Handheld one if very effective, and the animal model comes with a ‘rotary brush’ attachment. Great for cleaning the car.
    Look at the Dyson refurb store online…

DrP

EDIT – you do get a warning when the battery is dying – the light flashes for the final minute of life…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’ve got a DC43, use it daily especially in the kitchen to suck up crumbs and so on. Expensive but good bit of kit.

anono

Thanks STW – that’s the wife’s valentines present sorted.

organic355
    Free Member

😆

did she get an iron last year?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Yep got one here (DC34 animal I think). Used daily for a year with no issues. Wouldn’t be without one now.

I just leave it plugged in to charge after every use. Think it’s got a smart charger so it turns itself off when charged.

donks
    Free Member

Reckon we might soon be adding these to STWers list of must haves:

Audi: Check
    Coffee maker: CHECK
    Job in IT: CHECK
    Orange 5: CHECK
    Dyson digital Vacume:CHECK

plus £350 on a prezzy for valentines….wife gets a card and Dominos pizza if shes lucky.

anono

£350!! It’ll have to be a joint birthday/valentines/Christmas in that case.

dooosuk
    Free Member

They aren’t all £350…about £150 upwards from memory.

woody2000

We’ve got one (DC34 I think) – it’s shit. Cuts out all the time, battery life (if it doesn’t cut out) is about 6 minutes, dust holder holds about an egg cup full before it needs emptying…

Thankfully someone else bought it us as a gift – I’d never, ever have another one.

eskay

I have one, I cannot remember the model off of the top of my head but it has the powered brush.

superb piece of kit, we very rarely use the mains powered cleaner now. perfect for cleaning out the car.

Spend a bit more for the powered head version, my mother in law has the cheaper one and it is not as good.

our battery lasts about 15mins

dragon
    Free Member

If you need HEPA quality get a Miele they come out much better in the tests than Dyson.

SammyC
    Free Member

Got a DC35 Animal, and as said above its teh awsumz. Wouldn’t expect it to clean the whole house but is perfect for clearing up the crumbs after kids have eaten etc.

robdob
    Free Member

£350 and, according to the above, won’t clean a house full of carpets?
    If all you use it for is sweeping a few crumbs up in the kitchen that’s a massive expense.

FWIW we ditched our Dyson for a £80 bagless Hoover. Way lighter (so much that you didn’t need a block and tackle to get it upstairs), cleans just as well as hasn’t broken down yet in 5 years unlike the crock of crap that was the Diesoon.

globalti
    Free Member

Dyson’s first law of Marketing: sell it expensive and people will think it’s good. Sell it cheap and it can’t be any good.

Dyson’s second law of Marketing: let users see the dust they’ve collected and they will feel GOOD about the product; they just won’t realise that a Henry actually collects more, more cheaply but you can’t see what it collects so you don’t get that cosy glow of reward.

revs1972
    Free Member

Go to Currys and buy one of the 3 handheld digital motor versions, which they are offering a 30 day money back guarantee on.
    Take it home and use it for up 30 days to see if it is suitable for your use and then take it back to Currys and change it for a cylinder version that will work for more than 6 mins on max power !!!!!

Cheap, easy way to “try it out”

matttromans
    Free Member

As I understand it the ‘animal’ has additional attachments which are designed to pick up hair from pets. They have exactly the same filtration as the base models.

20thebear
    Free Member

Got a DC35 and it is great for cleaning up after our 18 month old. Plus the driven head is very good on carpets. Only downside is you have to empty it a lot.

unovolo
    Free Member

The Gadget show did a test on these handheld vacuum cleaners a bit ago and the Dyson was the best of a bad bunch.

Really don’t see the point of them , if you want to vac up a few crumbs then get a cheap Dustbuster or go manual with a Dustpan & Brush.

For a proper vac round the house just use a proper vacuum cleaner , I have a Numatic James(Similar to a Henry) it weighs 5.7kg all in ,hardly need to be a bodybuilder to carry it round and bear in mind with these your only pushing the wand round which must weigh less than a kilo.

I have destroyed 2 Dysons,1 Miele, 1 Philips(Which outlasted the Dysons and Miele put together) and now on the Numatic.

Parents have just binned there Dyson for a cheap Vax.

DrJ

if you want to vac up a few crumbs then get a cheap Dustbuster

I bought mine precisely because the cheap dustbusters I’ve had had no more sucking power than an asthmatic goat.

footflaps

I use an asthmatic goat to keep our house clean.

razorrazoo

DrJ – Member
    if you want to vac up a few crumbs then get a cheap Dustbuster

I bought mine precisely because the cheap dustbusters I’ve had had no more sucking power than an asthmatic goat.

This.

We got our doubling up on clubcard points at Tesco. Not sure on the model but certainly not a £350 version.

2 young kids and wooden floors downstairs, it’s great, does the job its bought to do (mainly the post eating detritus)and handy for the car as well. Big Dyson Ball for the main cleaning (was a freebie through the wife’s work). Been going strong for years.

FuzzyWuzzy

I got a DC59 a couple of months ago and think it’s really good, not sure it was worth £350 but I didn’t want to go with a cheaper one and end up buying twice. It replaced a DC07 and it’s as least as powerful as that was (in boost mode anyway). It’s got plenty of charge to do my 1 bed flat with, pretty sure it could do it twice over, the only real issue is the dust compartment is pretty small so you’d probably need to empty it mid-clean doing a larger place – that only takes 10 seconds though so hardly a hassle.
    The only regret I have with mine is I bought it direct from Dyson as they had a £50 of free tools offer on – in reality I can’t see me using any of the extra tools though and if it does go wrong it will be a fair bit more hassle than just taking it to John Lewis or something.

kcal

Our daughter won one of the handhelds in a school raffle (yeah!)
    It’s good, not a huge capacity (battery or dust) but works for awkward stuff (stairs) or for crumb spillage when getting dustpan out wouldn’t work and full vacuum treatment is a hassle.

Looks similar to a DC34..

Would we shell out the cash on a new one? hm. not sure. But it is good, and useful.

richmars

We have a battery one, not sure of the model, but has a claimed battery life of 15 min, but never used it that long. You need to change the way you vacuum, instead of doing the whole house once a month/year, do 5 minutes every few days, works fine for this, plus small and light to get everywhere.

dooosuk
    Free Member

and if it does go wrong it will be a fair bit more hassle than just taking it to John Lewis or something.

How come? If it’s in warranty Dyson send an engineer to your house don’t they and it’s free parts and labour.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Dyson handheld/cordless vacuum and are they any good?’ is closed to new replies.