Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • £33,000 worth?
  • tang
    Free Member

I know lots of his ‘painters’ they are mainly on nearish minimum wage. His new studio here in stroud is absolutely huge, it is a factory on an industrial estate. As I’ve mentioned before I nearly ran him over once, stepped out in front of my car. Had I have not been consentrating there would be no dots.

mogrim

I like it, and it’s going to look great on the wall of my living room.

bikebouy
    Free Member

No one think it’s just a publicity stunt then?? You know just to bring back into the public frame the Hipnonimouse name “Hurst”

Me thinks it is just that.

🙄

Travis

It’s art, and as this most of this thread. I don’t get it.

Why spend so much money on, what somebody thinks is good, when there is so much that needs to be done.
    Just a waste of money.
    I think it shows the value of money.

DezB
    Free Member

Had I have not been consentrating there would be no dots.

Imagine how much you would’ve got for your car as Hirst’s final piece…

DezB
    Free Member

You know just to bring back into the public frame the Hipnonimouse name “Hurst”

Yeah, he’s been out of the headlines for a while.

kayak23

Why spend so much money on, what somebody thinks is good, when there is so much that needs to be done.

The Arts are not a waste of money though. As humans we need uplifting and suchlike. It would be a very drab and depressing world without the Arts… Music and literature are included in that obviously.

brakes
    Free Member

nothing in this world has value other than that which we give it.
    art is no different.
    value is bestowed on all things.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ That Damien Hurst fellas good looking lad int he ^^

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Feel free to sell your bikes and donate the money to the good cause of your choosing. 🙂

stumpy01

Coloured dots on some paper!

Dammit, I was doing this kind of stuff with stickers in infant school! If only I had realised it was valuable art and kept it!
    You should have seen what I could do with black material and a load of fuzzy felt!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I really like the cows thing he did and the head thing with the diamonds and lots of other stuff he’s put out and it’s weird and interesting. It seems obvious to me that once you’ve “established” yourself as a credible artist in that world you can, as someone said, shit in a bucket and sell it for a fortune, in fact this guy did (well canned it anyway)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist’s_Shit

It’s up to people to decide what they want to spend their money on and it’s also up to others to call them arseholes for spending it on pretty much nothing, that’s the great beauty of freedom of expression. Art’s a bit like faith you have to choose to accept something has worth despite the evidence, in another life Damian Hurst would have founded the Mormons.

DezB
    Free Member

Damian Hurst

Geoff’s brother?

tang
    Free Member

Imagine how much you would’ve got for your car as Hirst’s final piece…

I was driving my wife’s Picasso at the time, I kid you not! Hurst on the bonnet, with Picasso’s signature(one of many annoying features of the car) handily on the wing.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Really Dez? You must be excellent at parties or to be trapped in a lift with.

wwaswas

Dammit, I was doing this kind of stuff with stickers in infant school! If only I had realised it was valuable art and kept it!

This is why you are not an artist 😉

Duchamp said “It is art because I say it is” – which is where a lot of the modern artists take their cue from. It’s not the object is or how it was created, it’s Art because the person placing it on the wall/floor/ceiling says it’s art.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I came very close to buying one of Hirst’s ‘Spin Paintings’ It was around £15k at the time, I think they are selling for £500,000 now.

I’m relived I didn’t buy it in the end as my ex wife would have demanded half of it, so there was a silver lining. 😀

GrahamS

one of Hirst’s ‘Spin Paintings’

LOL. Sustrans have a contraption that produces those by pedaling a bike to spin the disk. Add a bit of poster paint and away you go Very popular with the kids 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Thanks for that johndoh, I didn’t realise people might not understand it was my opinion.Thanks for making it clear. The bold type really brings that home. I guess me putting “I think” at the start didn’t really help.

Ahh, but with the way you wrote it, the final part of your sentence was a statement not an opinion.

Now, if, rather than saying

I think abstract art can be utterly brilliant, but those Hirst works are not.

you had said

Abstract art can be utterly brilliant, but I think those Hirst works are not.

then you would have had a valid point. You didn’t so you don’t.

GrahamS

Semantics.

I think: “abstract art can be utterly brilliant, but those Hirst works are not”.

There you go.

RustySpanner

Duchamp said “It is art because I say it is” – which is where a lot of the modern artists take their cue from. It’s not the object is or how it was created, it’s Art because the person placing it on the wall/floor/ceiling says it’s art.

Duchamp was wrong:
    Something created is art if anyone considers it to be so – the view of the person who created it is irrelevant. 😀

It’s the only definition that works, btw. 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Semantics.

I think: “abstract art can be utterly brilliant, but those Hirst works are not”.

There you go.
    Disagrees.

molgrips
    Free Member

Then there are 33,000 reasons that Hirst pics is art.

aracer
    Free Member

FTFY

aracer
    Free Member

you had said

I think abstract art can be utterly brilliant but those Hirst works are not.

[/quote]
    FTFY – I do like careful artistic use of punctuation (or lack of it).

aracer
    Free Member

…and on the subject of the “art”, ISTM that the only value in those paintings is the bit where he signed them.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Ahh, but with the way you wrote it, the final part of your sentence was a statement not an opinion.
    Now, if, rather than saying

I think abstract art can be utterly brilliant, but those Hirst works are not.
    you had said

Abstract art can be utterly brilliant, but I think those Hirst works are not.

That comes of someone taking a naive literalistic view of howsyourdad1 typographical artworks. His work is somewhat more subtle than that, and a study of his oeuvre would had led to a realisation that the meta-physic of the whole is essentially coming from a non deterministic viewpoint where the concept of fact is intrinsically facile.

Harry_the_Spider

I came very close to buying one of Hirst’s ‘Spin Paintings’ It was around £15k at the time, I think they are selling for £500,000 now.

I’m relived I didn’t buy it in the end as my ex wife would have demanded half of it, so there was a silver lining.

Ah, but if you sold it for £500k and her “professionally dealt with” you would still have £450k. Schoolboy error.

I scored quite highly on the “psycho test” BTW. I lack empathy apparently.

grantway
    Free Member

Maybe be the clue to the thief is within the picture.

Just join up the dots ! :mrgreen:

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Wow.

steveoath
    Free Member

I like them. But i do tend to lean toward geometric artworks.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘£33,000 worth?’ is closed to new replies.