Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Anyone go geocaching ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Bit geeky…but who gives a !

Found my first one at the park opposite my work let the fun begin !

geocaching

iDave
    Free Member

“Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment. Search for a geocache below or learn more about getting started.”

Hmm. Think I’ll pass on that…..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Whatever you’re doing instead iDave, I, ummm, think I’ll join you 🙂

Garry_Lager

Not done it – Sounds like it might be good to do with your kids? What do they put in the caches – mars bars and the like?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

great to do it on the bike I bet there are some on the trails of the uk !

fatboyslo
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    “Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment. Search for a geocache below or learn more about getting started.”

err NO…..

It is using Millions Dollars worth of Military hardware to find tupperware boxes hidden in woods …. 😉

And it is

HIGHLY ADDICTIVE

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

well said !

planning Sunday morning…

fatboyslo
    Free Member

What do they put in the caches – mars bars and the like?

No foodstuffs is the guideline …. Macdonalds toys seem popular,

Oh .. Yes I do it ….and it is generally doable by bike, specially if your into cheeky trails

leffeboy

Top fun for children as well

iDave
    Free Member

It is using Millions Dollars worth of Military hardware

when did you buy that? cool.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Yep i have done it a few times. Son loves it. Once spent n entire day off work with him. Started with a sheet of paper with grid references and some clues and handed my son a gps loaded with grid references. He had to tell me where we were going and we went all around the town finding them. There are some educational aspects to it as well. We did loads on hadrians wall.

muddy@rseguy

er…yes, we do that….er,um….and have done nearly 2300 (!)…in 4 countries.

In my defence its a very good way of casing out new riding areas/seeking out new and exciting cheeky trails. Its also a good way of getting rid of 35mm and APS fim containers 😉

Ambrose

Might have been geocaching…

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cf9e8982-d780-4896-a2a4-33c3b10c1d5e

Shame that I can’t edit the description.

freddyg
    Free Member

A friend of mine introduced me to this last weekend. I’ve done 5 so far. The kids love it.

I would have done another today, but suffered 4 bloody punctures! It’s hedge trimming time.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Ambrose, looks like an interesting one to do…maybe one day when we are in that part of the world.

JulianA
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

It’s really good fun – especially if the cache-setters choose interesting places. It means that you go to a new area and find lots of hidden gems off the normal tourist trails.

I’ve placed a cache pretty near me actually – near a trail which often gets a name-check on here….

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I got the free app for iPhone and had a good afternoon finding caches with some mates. It’s slighly geeky I will agree, but it was fun. If I gets kids or anyone outside in the fresh air it’s all good in my eyes. Don’t know if I’d plan a trip specifically to go geocaching but it can be guilty fun on your cycle snack breaks to see if there’s s cache nearby.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Does it make any difference what sort of GPS you use?

druidh
    Free Member

Nope

_tom_
    Free Member

It sounds like a load of fun. Might have to try it some time if my mates are up for it.

CHB

Theres a geocache site located right outside my work.
    The company canteen overlooks the site and has mirrored/privacy glass.
    First time some family turned up and started rummaging in the bushes, we thought we were watching a very suburban drug drop.

We now enjoy watching them scratch heads and search.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

CHB Thats why I’m going to take my 3 yr old with as it would look mighty dodgy a 37yr old thinning hair bloke going through bushes ! Dont fancy a trip in a car with flashing lights ! (obviously these are for the urban finds)

maxray
    Free Member

um.. so what sort of thing is in the stashes or is it just the thrill of the chase so to speak?

Jamie
    Free Member

Done it a few times when down up in the Peaks. Good harmless fun which can be as hardcore as you want.

It helps I have a tupperware fetish 😉

sparkerfix

All sorts of stuff but mainly non perishable stuff. Keyrings, geotags etc.
    Some stuff maybe a simple item that the original cache owner is trying to see how far round the world it can be taken. There is usually a notebook and pen to log when, what you take and/or put into a cache.

rOcKeTdOg

weapons caching is much more fun

maxray
    Free Member

Ah right so you take a cache and replace it with something else?.. Interesting.

Maybe we should start geobikecache where you stash bike parts on various routes!

freddyg
    Free Member

um.. so what sort of thing is in the stashes or is it just the thrill of the chase so to speak?

It’s more the thrill of the chase. The trinkets are worthless, but they’re not really the point – travel bugs being the exception.

There are 3 in our village, but I’ve only managed to find 2 of them. I must have spent several hours over a number of days looking for the last one. People are starting to stare! 🙂

sparkerfix

yes. You usually take an iten from the cache and replace it with you may have taken from another cache for example.

maxray
    Free Member

Im quite liking that idea, and seeing that there are at least 5 or six just a short walk from my house I think I shall have to investigate! 🙂

chomp
    Free Member

yeah, this is great fun (more so when you’ve got the kids with you)

although I do wish I’d started before the days of mobile internet and gps, as it can make it a bit too easy (unless you’re strict with not looking at the clues etc)

goon
    Free Member

Geocaching is great. We’ve been guided to some great locations we’d never have visited otherwise, and been greatly entertained.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=224659 My travelbug named after my previous lurcher – it’s probably more widely travelled than me!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Soundle like Digital littering to me.

rOcKeTdOg

is burying someone alive with limited air supply and publishing vague gps co-ordinates the same?

maxray
    Free Member

Soundle like Digital littering to me.

😀 miserable barsteward.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Off for another find in the park…great way to spend my lunch break !

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Geocaching is great. We’ve been guided to some great locations we’d never have visited otherwise, and been greatly entertained.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=224659 My travelbug named after my previous lurcher – it’s probably more widely travelled than me!

I like looking where my bugs and coins get to, one of mine has been all over, I released it in Egypt but it has travelled round Europe, Middle East, Himalayas and is now in South Africa,

I enjoy using Google Earth to see where this coin is

thomthumb
    Free Member

i just keep thinking that in several thousand years archaeologists are going to be baffled!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

my dad is very much into this – each time I go and see him we go and do a fair few. You get to see a lot of places you might not think of going to otherwise. If anyone comes across caches set by ‘Rockley’ in Lyon and the surrounds they are his.

geobikecache

I like the idea but can we call it velocaching instead?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Anyone go geocaching ?’ is closed to new replies.