Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Anyone ever tried claiming from the Royal Mail for "undelivered" items
  • bigdonx
    Free Member

Has anyone had any good experiences with claiming for loss from the Royal Mail.
    My superstar postman decided he would make life easy for himself and leave my brand new Rockshox Recons in the wheely bin the day before the weely bin got emptied – you can guess the rest!!
    They had been sent by Recorded Delivery, but he signed for them himself – in someone elses name (this person wasn't even there on the day of delivery) in an attempt to cover his a**e.
    The Royal Mail were quick to respond to my claim with a cheque for £39 – the maximum amount for Recorded Delivery – and a letter telling me how great they are at delivering things normally!
    Understandably I'm a bit peeved – anybody ever had any luck trying to get more money out of the Royal Mail??

grumm
    Free Member

Who sent them to you? It's their responsibility surely?

uplink
    Free Member

Credit card company may help too but I'd go back to the retailer for replacement/refund & allow them to take it up with RM

tails
    Free Member

get the postman and ring his neck, they really are not helping themselves at the mo.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Find the CEO's e-mail address, thats what I did. In fact he's due another one from me if they dont hurry up and refund me for my reading tickets.

bigdonx
    Free Member

I agree the sender should have insured, and I still have that to pursue. But I'm that p'ed off with the PO, and the postie in particular, that I feel I need to respond to their kind offer………….

mtbfix

I have had several bad experiences trying to claim from Royal Mail. Once they have a signature they can point to they wash their hands of the problem is my experience.

The sender has to make the claim so you should be asking for a refund/replacement from them. The sender can only claim the basic £30-odd quid as that's all First Recorded is covered for.

wombat

If you've paid for the shocks to be delivered to you and they haven't been then the seller needs to send you another set. It's not for you to take the loss if they've used a poor provider to get the shocks to you

bigdonx
    Free Member

ringing the posties neck is also an option I have considered, but have refrained from……to date!

wombat

Having said that, I can completely understand your p*ssedoffness with the postie

Macgyver

It's not a case of bad delivery/mistake etc is it. This is fraud given that the posty signed in someone elses name. Might be worth reminding them of this when you next speak with them!

Pook

My superstar postman decided he would make life easy for himself and leave my brand new Rockshox Recons in the wheely bin the day before the weely bin got emptied – you can guess the rest!!

That's your problem right there.

😉

bigdonx
    Free Member

That was my feeling exactly Mcgyver, which makes me inclined to push the RM for a bit more. It shouldn't be my problem, or the senders for that matter, if the Royal mail employ a total muppet who thought he was clever by signing the name of somebody who he knew was usually there………….

thegreatape
    Free Member

Good spot pook

bigdonx
    Free Member

Indeed Pook, if only Carlsberg made posties

rockitman
    Free Member

I have one ongoing at the moment, for a shock that was lost in transit.

Mine was special delivery – so insured for up to £500. It's been over a month and I've heard nothing…

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Report the postie to the Police for fraud.

westkipper
    Free Member

As a postman, I'm not going to defend the idiot (van driver?) who did this. The one thing that is repeated over and over again is 'do NOT door step!', and no one within the business should back them up.
    The problem is though, that RM does'nt really recognize you as the 'customer', as far as it is concerned you are merely the 'mail receipiant'- You need to get the sender to kick up a stink about this.
    If they really did sign for this themselves then, as has been said, its fraud, and I'm surprised if RM's own internal police -The I.B. – aren't interested in this.

I should say though, that I've had the same thing happen to me with a private courier, albeit with a lesser value item. There's crap employees in every company.

bigdonx
    Free Member

West kipper, thanks for the post (if you'll pardon the pun). And thanks for the info re the sender being the customer – makes sense really, it is the sender who entered into a contract with the RM to deliver, my contract is with the sender/vendor.
    You are right about the postman here – he drives a van, although he is the regular letter delivering postie that comes here every day.
    Also I would just like to say that my gripe is with this one postie in particular (and the customer support helpline – who were hopeless), like you say idiots pop up in all walks of life! I didn't mean to generalise.

westkipper
    Free Member

I actually wasn't really defending RMs policy/ attitude either- its just another aspect of the delights of being'commercially focused' that is on the increase.
    It may also not be the regular guy who is at fault, You can often find that a relief driver shoved onto a walk to cover a holiday period( I think I remember holiday periods!)at the last minute, can sometimes be less responsible than they should- leaving the usual guy with the complaints.
    Keep up the pressure though, I hope you get somewhere, and someone gets their arse kicked.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Of course he could have just said that he left your parcel in the wheely bin…..

andrewh
    Free Member

Why would he leave them in the wheely bin if someone had signed for them? Little bit inconsistant of him. How do you know they were in the wheely bin? If it was because he told you then he has just contradicted himself about someone having signed for them.
    As was mentioned above, if postie signed himself then it is fraud, pursue it.

Don't want to hijack the thread but I am still chasing a complaint against a parcel force driver. He nearly ran me over when I was out running, I tapped on the side of the van to show my displeasure, cue much shouting and threatening followed by him chasing me in the van and repeating. Not heard from them for a while, should I just take it to the police?

bigdonx
    Free Member

Cheesyfeet, he did put a note through the door syaing he had "left a parcel in the green bin" on Wedenesday afternoon, but it wasn't spotted until after bin emptied on Thursday. But apart from anthing else, why on earth would anyone ever put something as obviously unhygenic as Bin?!?! Just plain stupid.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Ernie lynch is very quiet on this one. Wonder why?

Chase
    Free Member

Who put the bin out on the street? I can only presume it wasn't you otherwise you'd have seen the note too? If I don't do it myself it stays where it lives.
    It bugs me to read this as a postie myself. I have got to the stage where I don't 'doorstep' anything unless I have permission from the occupier. If Royal Mail were more proactive (warnings and sacking) about this rather than just sticking up a few posters here and there this kind of thing would happen a lot less, but to be honest managers just don't give a shit anymore.

Olly
    Free Member

out postie has a "secret place" where we get stuff left.
    which is fine by me, its a very quiet area.

but a BIN.
    wtf?

he probably thought he was doing you a favour, as no one like to have to arrange for redelivery, its not like it was any harder to fill in a redelivery card and sling it back in the van surely?

a BIN?
    what a tool

Chase
    Free Member

"its not like it was any harder to fill in a redelivery card and sling it back in the van surely?"

It's just lazyness. No other word for it. The cards aren't that difficult to fill in
    Following my day off I often find stuff left my 'collegues' the day before. It leaves me a dilemma then – should I leave a card and take it away using the correct proceedure or do I just pretend I never saw it?
    I can't report it to my manager as he has made himself 'one of the boys'. He has the attitude of the other lazy **** I work with.

ransos
    Free Member

You haven't received the goods – so take it up with the sender.

I once posted an amplifier I sold on ebay, which never arrived. Understandably, the buyer was a bit peeved, but it was up to me to sort out. I managed to get a full refund out of RM in the end, but then I did insure it for the full amount.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ChatsworthMusters – Member

Ernie lynch is very quiet on this one. Wonder why?

Most probably because I haven't a great deal to say. Why would I ?

If bigdonx has the note left saying that the forks were left in the wheelie bin, then I would have thought that he has a very strong case for a full refund. The £39 I presume is compensation for a lost item. Clearly the item has not been lost, it has been 'dumped'….. in a bin.

bigdonx
    Free Member

Chase – I put the bin out on the street myself – makes it a bit more hard to take. But in fairness to myself the Postman had put the note through the front door on Wednesday, I arrived and left from work by the back door where the bin was, and took it out on my way past – Our bin is allways full enough to go out – it never really occured to me to check for my mail in there!! Found the note Thursday, and it was one of the proper undelivered notes – just no other info on it other than "Pkt in green bin".
    And it was our regular postman who comes every day, and probably thought he was doing me a favour in his lazy a**ed logic way of thinking.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Our bins live behind the shed next to the road and the bin men take ours from there so if this happened to us we would never know. Insted we get every thing left on the front step in plain view of the main road it is often signed for stuff as well so would like to know whos siging for it.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever tried claiming from the Royal Mail for "undelivered" items’ is closed to new replies.