Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • PSA: STW Forum Mendip Ride, Sunday the 16th August
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Hi all

Announcing the STW forum Mendip ride on Sunday the 16th August, as discussed shortly after OldFarts brilliant Exmoor safari ride.

Start/Finish: Meet at 9:30am for a 10am start at the Burrington Combe Inn [BS40 7AT]. There is plenty of free parking right next door at the disused garden centre.

Route:

It starts with a moderate road climb to warm up before heading up the highest point; then follows some of the CLIC24 route descending into Rowberrow Wood and then climbing to where there are some optional short DH-style trails. Then descends to Cheddar on rocky Warrens Hill Road. We follow the cycle track to do the toughest climb of the day: the Cheddar Challenge climb up to Lillypool Cafe for rest/food. We road climb back to Rowberrow Wood and make our final steep descent on Stony Lane and a short road ride back to the start.

Stats/Pace: 30km, 800m climbing. I ride this comfortably solo sub3 hours, but as it's a lovely social ride expect it to take about 5 hours. Some guiding assistance from other local riders would be welcome.

Conditions/Kit: After baked/fast trails in June, the trails are degenerating into winter condition, so bring appropriate bikes, tyres, mudguards etc.

Hope to see you there

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Sounds good, I might tag along.

peteimpreza

Pencil me in. I will confirm closer to the date.

Thanks in advance.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Count me in.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

About 30 mins by car from Weston via Locking, Sandford and Churchll, tis pretty straightforward.

Dunno about skinny mud tyres as there are too many rocks, but bald summer tyres aren't ideal here ATM. Something with biggish knobs on will do. I just put my crudguard and 2.35 high rollers back on my HT. I'll pray really hard for an improvement in the weather!

Candodavid
    Free Member

Buzz, I have no problem on bald summer tyres on mendip at the moment, it's all about commitment and momentum. Science officer can vouch for this.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Shameless bump for the morning site traffic as there was a fair bit of interest in this a few weeks ago but people need to see it. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think I said we're coming on this ride last time 🙂
    Are we looking at a fairly slow pace, because MrsPP wants to come and she's not the quickest rider, although she plods along all day quite happily…
    🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Hoping to make it, family commitments allowing. About an hour from Poole?

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

May well come along too. Hopefully be able to help out with some of the guiding for you if need be. I am riding in the cotswolds on Sat – Evans Ride IT event so provided my legs are ok, I will be there.

Gilles

still coming.

slugwash
    Free Member

Hoping to come along on this one if it's not monsoon conditions and I'm not too hung over from the village regatta the day before. CLIC24 is my only Mendips experience up to now so it'll be good to see a bit more of that neck of the woods 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

We're not in true slop yet Dave, and you're quite fit, and quite skilled – means you ride light anyway.

Soon as the muddy veneer gets deeper than a few mm, you're going to be sliding around like a slidey thing from… er… slidey land with a degree in um, slidiness. 😳

If we don't get some dry weather soon, its really going to degenerate over the next couple of weeks as the ground softens. The DH runs in Rowberrow are pretty slidey already.

Clic 24 showcases only one good section of Mendip.

Thats a good Route – has my seal of approval. Not that you need it. 8)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"Are we looking at a fairly slow pace"

We all really enjoyed the Exmoor Safari ride and I think the overall speed, including stoppages for catch-ups, refreshments and yacking, was about 3mph! It's very much a social ride to meet and chat and show visiting guests around the area a little.

I hope to get a little support from other local riders who can go ahead to hold gates, mark junctions and back-stop the group so no-one gets separated.

Hope you can come!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Unfortunately I'll not be able to assist – holidaying with the kiddiewinks in Dartmouth that week(end).

slugwash
    Free Member

Unfortunately I'll not be able to assist – holidaying with the kiddiewinks in Dartmouth that week(end).

Scienceofficer, escape the crowds in Dartmouth on the Saturday by taking a ferry upriver and coming to our village regatta! Then you can do your best to keep me away from the beer-tent so I'm fit for the Mendips ride on the Sunday 😉

http://www.dittisham.org.uk/regatta.asp

ollieT
    Free Member

I would be happy to come along and help if you need it. I know that neck of the woods quite well and only live in Street.

tsr
    Free Member

Buzz,

I will be happy to help (with the leisure group obv.)

oldfart

Buzz i'll get the gates and mop up at the back if you want .

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

May well do that Kamel!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sounds ace! Looking forewards to it now!
    🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

oldfart/tsr/ollieT: thanks for you support. It shouldn't be too onerous.

cinnamon_girl

Looking forward to this buzz 🙂

Could you please do a "tyre recommendations for the Mendips" thread a couple of days before? Can't believe I may have to use a mud tyre 😯

Thank you!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"tyre recommendations for the Mendips" 😀

No worries. I'll scope the ickiest bits on Saturday morning and report back. Personally, I like my knobbly tyres around here.

judderman
    Free Member

I think I might be up for this, Ollie T you defo going?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cool judderman (are you scary looking like in the advert?) 😀

tsr
    Free Member

he's not scary looking…just odd tbh. 😉

judderman
    Free Member

are you doing this one Ringer?

tsr
    Free Member

I'am but I will officially only be enjoying the downhills.

CountZero

Yep, me too. Bringing the ASBO h/tail with 2.3" ACX's, which ought to do the trick. Just wondering what sort of sacrifice needs to be made for sunny skies from now on? Looks like fun, really looking forward to it. See you Sunday Gilles and C_G.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I popped into Lillypool Cafe on today's ride on trails around Shipham Gorge, just to warn them that 20 hungry cyclist would be turning up next Sunday.

I also cleared the annoying fallen tree and brambles that were blocking the Cheddar Challenge climb – took 40 minutes of sawing and hacking and I'm a bit scratched!

Trail conditions were quite good today too.

ollieT
    Free Member

Buzz is this still on for Sunday.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sorry Ollie T, I didn't see you post.

Yes the ride is on. I am getting excited now.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Back from the Alps with only my pride seriously damaged, so I'll be there 🙂

leeson
    Free Member

Rich , dont talk crap! I expect you to be in "Cachette" mood!

I'll follow you!

leeson
    Free Member

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Can't make it to this now, family commitments elsewhere. May well be near Swinley Sunday morning though, so may sneak a ride in there instead.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

depending on the outcome of my trip to hospital today, I'm up for it. I will be riding slow (especially downhill) really can't afford to take a tumble

judderman
    Free Member

Ill be coming with 2 mates and possibly meeting a few more there. looking forward to it (well the food stop). Is anyone out tonight? usually meet at the crown in churchill at 6.30 for ride at 7?

Gilles

judderman, is it a regular ride? Every Thursday 6:30pm?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘PSA: STW Forum Mendip Ride, Sunday the 16th August’ is closed to new replies.