Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • anyone else ride to work this morning?
  • cycleworlduk
    Free Member

i rode home last nite and back this morning having been off the bike for 7 weeks…it felt great although a bit brass monkeys! -4 and freezing fog this morning….im sure it made me pedal slower cos me legs wouldnt work properly…thank god for the shower at the shop! interesting slippy bits still about..especially on 23c tyres

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, not cold down here (only 2 layers for the first time this year). But very foggy. Glad to have bright lights and Night Vision trousers.

organic355
    Free Member

yep, I was in on skinny tyres this morning, bit chilly and foggy too.

Bit of a struggle as went to a sports conditioning class last night and could hardly move my legs when I got out of bed this morning 🙂

crazy-legs

Yes and I bloody punctured!
    I've been back on the road bike since Friday now that the ice has gone but the roads are wrecked: potholes, cracks and debris everywhere. Don't know what I hit this morning but the rear tyre went down in a flash. 🙁

I'm going to start carrying disposable gloves for repairs, my hands and gloves were black with road grime by the time I'd finished.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i was forced to use gears for the first time in 6 months …..because i can barely walk !

ojom
    Free Member

Yep. Was a bit slippy on my street but fine on the main roads.
    Bloody cold though. Think i may run home.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Fine in leeds, not that cold really.

oldfart

I did took me 5 minutes !!!!!
    Takes longer to lock bike up . 😯

scruff
    Free Member

Loads warmer here (NW Mids), all the snow & ice has gone and the roads/paths are kinda dry. I have noticed its much lighter when I leave work, I rode home in the daylight yesterday, which was nice.

Roads are effed though post-thaw, cracks and potholes everywhere.

MisterT

Indeed I did. mind you I rode all last week too, best bit was whilst the snow/ice was still on many of the back roads I use for my route, it meant they were traffic free whilst drivers kept to the safe and slow main roads. So I had loads of fun on the singlspeed with fresh knobblies on to keep me upright. made my usual 1hr hard ride each way into a 1hr 20mins of fun ride.
    this week the roads are all clear, so back on the winter road bike, but today massive queues near wilmslow/macclesfield due to a road closure (thinks it was due to a burst water main)
    felt very happy to cruiz past all the glumb drivers as they waited to go nowhere.

adey205
    Free Member

not stopped riding at all. after all, it was only a bit of snow.
    got caught out with the cold this morning though

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I did today and yesterday. Was a wee bit slippy this morning in Ayrshire/Glasgow but I expected that after the freezing fog on the ride home last night. Struggled a bit on the ride home last night as I've not been doing many miles over the past four weeks, and had to reach for the emergency chocolate supplies.

Well not quite 'only a bit of snow', the ice, sliding cars and drivers with iced up windows was more of a concern to me. And certainly where I live we had four weeks of compacted snow and ice, maybe it was different for you.

neil853
    Free Member

was going to then i realised i had a stupid training course tonight and couldn't, definately tomorrow. Can't wait to get back to normaity 🙄

neil853
    Free Member

well i have to disagree with that, we've had considerable amounts of snow that have laid on top of ice. 13 mile commute down a relatively busy road not a good idea 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

"Well not quite 'only a bit of snow', the ice, sliding cars and drivers with iced up windows was more of a concern to me. "

conti claws and cycle paths kept me safe 😀

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

cycleworld – same as yourself, been moving house and has kept me off the bike for about 2-3 months. yesterday and today rode the ten miles each way, was great on the CX bike… but because i havent ridden in ages, the flat route had seemingly grown a hill in oxshott, now how did that happen… oh yeah I'm not as fit as i was! lol.

Gary_M
    Free Member

conti claws and cycle paths kept me safe

Unfortunately drivers generally didn't have spiked tyres and getting to the cycle path was trecherous. But 20 miles each way on snow and ice really didn't appeal. Still it's gone now.

adey205
    Free Member

have to be honest, i do only ride on a cycle route so no cars to worry about, but the snow was still 6-8 inches deep and very icy when it decided to freeze. can honestly say the only real problem i had was when it decided to thaw, 6 inches of white slush puppy for miles!!

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Hey Chris, you are just old and fat, see you on Friday.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I parked and rode the last 5 miles of my 45 mile commute. planning on doing it whenever I am in the office.

Also have plans on cycling home via downslink once a week (about 40 miles).

STATO
    Free Member

Yes, got all the way in and binned it turning into the carpark. Nothing could save it as id gone in too quick and the entrance has no grip at the best of times so down i went. 1 bruised hip, 1 slight scrape on knee, 1 ripped glove (and brand new it was too! grr!)

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

the old and fat comment is relatively on target! i always find the gear selection is the real hard work…gte it right and your toasty,wrong and like me this morning you'll a bit uncomfortable.had the wrong bibs on and castelli overshoes that werent that warm…

dab

@Chris ..some would say all the gear and no idea 😉

was in St Andrews today and nearly came a cropper on the paving stones, fekkin deadly with a layer of clear ice …

might need to get some of these studded tyres soon if this keeps up

Dave

bigyinn
    Free Member

DezB, yes twas very murky this morning, but at least the roads / pavements are clear from last weeks ice fest. Gosport seafront was absolutely lethal!

ourmaninthenorth

Er, in Manchester I was too warm riding in with two jerseys and a thin wind jacket.

But, today's commute was the first time:

1. I have ridden into work since the ice has gone; and

2. the first time I have ridden my recently built road fixed – eek, that took a bit of thinking about..!

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

thats the main issue….all the gear means more choice! some nights itll taske me 1/2 an hour to get dressed for me ride home….it only takes me that time to drive home

alecangus
    Free Member

+1

Only Dennistoun to Finnieston (Glasgow), but it was fine.

c
    Free Member

My Manchester commute was boiling this morning as well…had to stop and take my jacket off. I think this might be due to the cough that I had assumed was down to me stopping smoking, rapidly turning into a cold over the course of today though 😥

Junkyard
    Free Member

not that cold in lancashire – cycled in as usual – ranty old man in a green car who was in cycle lane screaming at me to cycle properly – when I asked what he meant he carried on shouting properly you idiot – he was about 65 – his wife looked embarassed and used to it. No rain or fog unlike yesterday

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘anyone else ride to work this morning?’ is closed to new replies.