Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Anyone else made it into work this morning?
  • D0NK

I work in manchester 4-6" snow overnight dunno what the rest of the country is like, the main roads in city centre aren't even clear. I've seen about 2 people in the building I work in so far, I'm the only person from our team in. Rode the 13 miles from home mainly offroad, bloody stupid idea but was fun in parts, hardest commute ever!

miketually
    Free Member

You must work in a school. According to other threads, everyone apart from teachers has made it into school. 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Yup, I'm here having driven through a 'closed' road and 6 inches. The 'closed' road was somewhat less hazardous than the idiots on the M65 who seemed to fail to notice the inch of snow on the foot of road they were leaving between me and their bonnet!

D0NK

close Mike, its a university 🙂

wors

yep me, bolton to bury was a bit sketchy in parts but not too bad.

If we knock off early i might take the scenic route home!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

can't even get the car out of my street!
    my boss told me to not risk trying to get in ('in' being out near knutsford, in the middle of the cheshire countryside)…

lowey

Sat at Home 😆

votchy
    Free Member

Sat at my desk along with everyone else, **** all yet here in the midlands, forecast suggests it will start about 3pm 😥

Bunnyhop

I have the opposite problem, work from home. However the deliveries can't get to me.
    Also had mini icicles on the ceiling yesterday, so spent the first hour chipping off the ice.

Pook

I live ten minutes walk from the office. I wish I was a teacher, I could go sledging.

takisawa2

What snow ?
    None here in ye olde Staffs.

hora
    Free Member

I work two miles from my house. TBH – If it was longer like your commute OP I wouldnt have come in (I rode in).

Pigface
    Free Member

I am in work near Oxford but have a course in Warrington tomorrow which I go to today, so will be heading to the frozen north at 12.30 on the train. Fingers crossed I make it.

miketually
    Free Member

Also had mini icicles on the ceiling yesterday, so spent the first hour chipping off the ice.

Might be time to turn the heating on? 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Excellent. The A675 was 'shut' Abbey Village – Belmont. I now see the A675 is also closed between Astley Bridge and Scout Road (and therefore also presumably Scout Road). Just how the hell was I supposed to get out of Belmont then?

Bunnyhop

Lol. @ Mike.

crazy-legs

In work here as well, train in from New Mills then a 2 mile walk through the snow in Manchester.
    Only about 6 other people in here though…

What was fun was watching people trying to drive!

geoffj

Had a bit of a sketchy moment in the hall, but managed to dig my slippers out of the shoe rack without too much effort. I'll be keeping an eye on the forecast, because the track between here and the kitchen has been known to get blocked quite easily.

One of the joys pitfalls of working from home 🙁

MrsToast
    Free Member

No snow here in Leamington. Depressing as that is, it's probably for the best, if we can't get in because of the weather we have to take part of it out of our holiday allowance.

mtbfix

if we can't get in because of the weather we have to take part of it out of our holiday allowance

Can they really do that?

organic355
    Free Member

Fancied a challenge so I had a lovely ride in on my skinny tyred road bike this morning. Was a bit chilly though. Main roads are fine, but side streets and pavements are skating rinks.

Blue Skies and Sunshine now in Dundee. 😀

brianbrian
    Free Member

Unfortunately I only live 1.5 miles from work and the Commencal can manage a couple of inches of snow 🙁

zokes
    Free Member

if we can't get in because of the weather we have to take part of it out of our holiday allowance

Can they really do that?

My fiancee is suffering the same threats from her boss. I told her that in actual fact she should tell her boss she's currently en route to her patient, and therefore is at work!

D0NK

yep me, bolton to bury was a bit sketchy in parts but not too bad.

Yep looked like they had the snowplough down there this morning (i live just off bury rd) unlike in manchester – or atleast the manc roads I've seen.
    Beginning to wish I hadn't bothered, legs are already complaining, the ride back should be "testing"

wwaswas

I work at home 🙁

lowey

Excellent. The A675 was 'shut' Abbey Village – Belmont. I now see the A675 is also closed between Astley Bridge and Scout Road (and therefore also presumably Scout Road). Just how the hell was I supposed to get out of Belmont then?

I Barely made it up the hill by Picadilly last night after picking the kids up from Blackpool. If I'd left it another 30 mins I wouldnt have got over.

fbk
    Free Member

Yup. Braved the skating rink & carnage of the M54 to get here. It's getting home again I'm worried about if the forecast's anything to go by !! 🙁

robgarrioch

Took an extra 20 mins driving the 25 miles from Edinburgh (Bonaly) to Armadale. Worst section by far was the first 200 yds from the flat; -4 & thixotropic snow. Rest of the road was ok, saw -8 at one stage. Today we shall be mostly clearing snow…. should've brought my sledge!

MrsToast
    Free Member

Can they really do that?

I think so, it's what's in our employee handbook. If the office is open, but people can't get into work, half a day is paid, half a day is taken off their holiday allowance. You only get the half day paid if it's proved that you needed 'Extreme Weather Leave' (police reports saying not to travel, etc), otherwise it all comes off the holiday allowance.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Shipley, West Yorkshire. 4in of snow and still falling. So today I will be working from home instead of trying to get to Barnsley

Andyhilton
    Free Member

sat at home with a brew.

teagirl
    Free Member

Yep, I've managed to walk to my patients, I'm a District Nurse and just about to set off and get to my next visit 1 1/2miles away. Tally ho!

martinxyz
    Free Member

4 inches fallen here too. on top of the 15" thats still here from over the past 2-3 weeks. just been taking pics of a robin feeding on fat i put out for it in the garden.

Aviemore will have about 6 inches this morning on top of the 20 inches that has fallen over the past 2-3 weeks.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

Just below Belmont Village, over 6 inches of the stuff and still falling heavily, snowman time methinks, that and working from home

Chris

carbon337
    Free Member

My route form my Bedroom to home office via Bathroom was clear

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

About 8 inches in Harrogate so I didn't even bother trying to drive in – just put my boots on and walked. I quite enjoyed it 🙂

twinklydave

yup, managed to slither the 3.5 miles into work on the cross bike…though I'd forgotten to take the slick rear tyre off it from last night's turbo trainer session, making it a bit wheelspin-tastic 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think so, it's what's in our employee handbook. If the office is open, but people can't get into work, half a day is paid, half a day is taken off their holiday allowance. You only get the half day paid if it's proved that you needed 'Extreme Weather Leave' (police reports saying not to travel, etc), otherwise it all comes off the holiday allowance.

Think youreslf lucky! If I don't get in, I don't get paid for that day. Simple

Although it has to be said that in 21+ years of work, snow has never once stopped me, and of all the staff here (There's only 6-ish of us) I will be the one to make it in when everyone else fails, because I can ride the 7 miles in and they can't….. 🙂

nosemineb
    Free Member

Rode 13 miles through nearly a foot of snow in places [studley deer park, Ripon]. Arrived at work only to slip arse over tit in the corridor to the office. Sods law i guess.

D0NK

we (the dozen or so that made it) have just been told to go home 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else made it into work this morning?’ is closed to new replies.