• This topic has 76 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Anyone else into quality board games?
  • newrobdob
    Free Member

I really wish I’d found out about decent board games years ago. Recently with some some newish friends I’ve been having board game nights and we’ve played previously unknown (to me) games such as Settlers of Catan (love it!), Stone Age (totally confused me for the first 10 mins until I “got” it) and Machi Koro.

Just had bought for me for my birthday Ticket To Ride Europe and the UK/USA Expansion pack to go with it. Good game which novices can enjoy.

All of these much more fun (even for the loser!) than the traditional Monopoly/Game of Life etc and makes newish popular games such as The Logo Game look really crap.

I have found myself at the local board game/D&D shop asking loads of questions about games and accessories and wishing some of the younger lads in there playing some games on tables they have set up would invite me to play too!

devash
    Free Member

We’ve got a few. Carcassonne and Hive being the favourites. Hive is especially great because we can take it camping and play on any surface.

Drac
    LittleNose
    Free Member

Yeah, love those ‘German’ style board games, used to play weekly, but haven’t played regularly for a while… El Grande was my favourite for a long time.

The frustration of “I just need one more move” , but knowing everyone is in the same boat.

zilog6128

Yep, as above Carcassonne is one of the best. Don’t get to play that much any more these days HOWEVER that is the no. 1 reason for getting an iPhone/iPad as there are so many quality Euro-board game apps now (for both playing against friends or against computer). The Stone Age app is particularly well done (although they need to update it or it will stop,working soon…)

There are also a lot of “co-operative” games now that replace the competitive element with teamwork (so the players either all win or lose together) which can be good fun.

newrobdob
    Free Member

^ that one you replied to last with another account

Yeah I killed that thread didn’t I? 😳

Not played Carcassonne yet. I do like the games where you have a visual idea of how many victory points people have but at the end you all reveal your special cards which multiply up so someone who is in last can win! Its hard to keep quiet when you know you might be that person.

StoneAge is quite expensive as a game, but although I am getting into these board games as an antidote to the phone/tablet I might download the app anyway.

Stoner
    Free Member

Carcassone is great.
    King of Tokyo is another favourite in this house
    We learnt to play Hive in a bar in France this summer and I shall get a set for home now.

Struggle for Catan is a great quick game esp for younger kids. Its relatively quick to play and easy to grasp. And offers opportunities to be v spiteful to your sibling.

Got into posh boardgames having asked on here
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-boardgames

newrobdob
    Free Member

King of Tokyo is another favourite in this house

I don’t like it as there as so many different power up cards to collect and it gets really confusing – you have to have played the game multiple times and seen the effect of the cards to know if they are worth having or not.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

If you’re after something that is great fun, but a little less intense at the same time as being way more intense, the head for a Mascarade. Can even play with up to 13 players!

unklehomered
    Free Member

The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game is fantastic fun, but should only be played with good friends, as otherwise you will fall out. Family would be a risk.

It has a finite length, which is good I think, some can run forever.

zilog6128

you have to have played the game multiple times and seen the effect of the cards to know if they are worth having or not.

the thing with all these games that sets them apart from Monopoly, etc is they reward skill/experience as you learn the best tactics & strategies so you won’t get the most out of any game until you’ve played it a fair few times. Not played that particular game but certainly some of the best/deepest/most satisfying games I’ve played involve figuring out how different cards/powers etc interact with each other and finding mega combos to crush your opponents!!

Cougar

Yeah. Catan and TTR are classic “gateway” games – the ones that usually get recommended to folk coming from the usual suspects like Monopoly for the first time. Carcassonne is another, you’ll not go far wrong with it.

There are a bazillion expansion for Carcassonne, which vary wildly in quality. The base game will serve you well, read reviews before you throw money at expansions.

I’ll throw Small World into the mix too, that’s a corker.

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/UKCougar

barkm
    Free Member

We play Catan and Carcassonne, and also Arkham Horror for some hardcore long play co-op.

…and just bought Small World for the weekend 😆

jate
    Free Member

Another really good one is Pandemic which is a co-operative board game. And whilst not technically a board game, Werewolf is very good if there is a large group of you.
    And yes the Really Nasty Horse Racing Game has been the source of some “robust” discussions in our house over the years…..

zilog6128

Small World is excellent although IMO an example of where the app is actually better than the board game as it makes playing it literally 10x quicker (there are hundreds of little counters!) so you can get more games in & learn the strategies more effectively (there are some awesome combos!). Way cheaper too!

The only Carcassonne expansion I’d say was essential is Inns & Cathedrals as it adds massively to the strategic aspect of the game.

newrobdob
    Free Member

There is a “big box” Carcasonne package coming out next month for £70 ish which has the original game and nearly all the expansion packs in it as well.

I like Small World but haven’t quite got to grips with the timing of when to go into decline so I tend to hang on too long.

ossify

The Castles of Burgundy is brilliant.

Agricola is also good but makes my brain hurt. More complicated and takes much more time to get used to but rewarding when you know how!

zilog6128

I highly recommend the excellent Small World 2 app for getting loads of sneaky practice in if victory is your goal!!

servo
    Free Member

Have enjoyed Ticket to Ride and played Sagrada last weekend which was good.

Cougar

Agricola is also good but makes my brain hurt.

There’s a two-player variant called “All Creatures Big and Small” which is a great intro to the main game. It plays in like 20 mins – half an hour and is a lot of fun. Last I looked though it was out of print and changing hands for silly money.

GrahamS

What’s the age range like on these games (realistically, not what it says on the box)?

We play a few basic board and card games at home with the kids. “Pigs In Pants” can be surprisingly strategic 😀
    But my eldest is 7 so it might be time to move onto something more involved (She has played and enjoyed Monopoly).

Cougar

https://www.amazon.co.uk/the-Settlers-of-Catan-Junior/dp/B007N0KZ64

“Realistically” is subjective. You could have a particularly bright six-year old or a particularly dim eight-year old.

fasthaggis

After reading about it on here,we bought Shadows in the Woods to give as presents. Really nice wee game that everyone (all ages) enjoyed.
    Shadows In the Woods

jimdubleyou

Just had bought for me for my birthday Ticket To Ride Europe and the UK/USA Expansion pack to go with it. Good game which novices can enjoy.

+1 for Ticket to Ride for whole family enjoyment. Although my little brother takes it a little too seriously 🙂

Norway / Scandinavia version is good for a quick game.

Cougar

There are essentially two ways to play TTR.

You can have a “gentlemen’s agreement” where you agree not to intentionally block opponents’ routes, which is generally best when playing with family / spouses; or you can play in “complete bastard” mode. (-:

AdamW
    Free Member

If you’re into games and are thinking about getting one I recommend watching Wil Wheaton’s ‘tabletop’ youtube programme:

http://geekandsundry.com/shows/tabletop/

You get a good idea of the game and how it plays. The ‘Cards Against Humanity’ of course was a *smidgin* rude.

newrobdob
    Free Member

or you can play in “complete bastard” mode. (-:

That should be in the instructions…… 😆

newrobdob
    Free Member

What’s the age range like on these games (realistically, not what it says on the box)?

We play a few basic board and card games at home with the kids. “Pigs In Pants” can be surprisingly strategic
    But my eldest is 7 so it might be time to move onto something more involved (She has played and enjoyed Monopoly).

I would have thought if they can do well at Monopoly something like TTR would be a good game to try.

chored
    Free Member

We play a few basic board and card games at home with the kids. “Pigs In Pants” can be surprisingly strategic

I would have thought if they can do well at Monopoly something like TTR would be a good game to try.

I found the only barrier with TTR is ability to read, we play a watered down version with our 5 year old where each player marks the start/end of a long route with a station and play the game with the routes visible to everyone. He gets all the mechanics but because he can’t read we can’t keep the routes secret – he loves going through the motions, but it’s not really a game.

Carcassone is pretty good with kids, played it with my son since before he was 5 and he’s pretty good at it now.

Other ones we play are Takenoko which is a bit more complicated, but again doesn’t require any reading and Tsuro which is very simple, but quick and good fun.

GrahamS

Excellent thanks. Didn’t know there was a Catan Junior. That and Carcassonne sound like good possibilities.

redthunder
    Free Member

HNEFATAFL
    Or viking chess as its often called.

I designed a board and will post later as a pdf if any wants to print in out.

Also, a roman version which is also great.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58162507@N07/33949119793/

Cougar

Didn’t know there was a Catan Junior.

I can’t remember the name offhand, but there’s a “my first Catan” version for even younger children too. Catan Kids or Kids of Catan maybe?

EDIT: https://www.catan.com/game/kids-catan

Start ’em young; first hit’s free, kiddies.

redthunder
    Free Member

And this one..

Ludus Latrunculorum

bencooper
    Free Member

Carcassonne, Ticket To Ride and King of Tokyo are all good – I’d also add Forbidden Island to the list, it’s a cooperative game which is differently interesting.

Also, not a board game but Exploding Kittens is great.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Memoir ’44 is good fun for “playing soldiers”.

Cougar

I’d also add Forbidden Island to the list, it’s a cooperative game which is differently interesting.

If you like FI I’d recommend taking a look at Pandemic. They are loosely the same game mechanic, and I preferred Pandemic out of the two.

Northwind

7 Wonders is great. Don’t get any of the unofficial expansions, they take a lean, well balanced game and **** it. Powergrid is another one well worth checking out

There’s 2 board games called London. One is a typical kiddy game, to avoid, the other is a brilliant city-builder, one of the best games I’ve ever played.

but tbh I’m probably happiest with ticket to ride, catan, powergrid- I like an actual board.

zilog6128

Memoir ’44 is good fun for “playing soldiers”.

great game, not a “euro” like most of those mentioned (it has dice 😯 ) although it does have cards and is very light & quick for a war game. There are a few other games set around different conflicts but using the same system although this is the only one I’ve played.

sbob
    Free Member

I’ve got a mate who designs board games, I’ll nudge him for info.
    He sent me a pic from a board game cafe in Ghent last week, complete with Belgian beers on tap; you lot would like him! 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

X-Wing

Pew Pew Pew

What self respecting male nerd wouldn’t love it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else into quality board games?’ is closed to new replies.