Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Board games for 6 players
  • eskay

Apart from the traditional games (Monopoly, Cluedo etc) can anyone recommend any good board games for 6 players (aged 12 to 68!)? I have not bought a board game for years but have promised to take one to a meal at my parents!

Nothing too taxing or a game that takes hours to play.

northernmatt

Trivial Pursuit? Haven’t played it for years, just reminds me of Christmas Day with my mum and auntie pissed on Liebfraumilch getting stuff completely wrong.

breadcrumb

The Logo board game is pretty good, we bought it after having a game at a friend’s house.

Coyote
    Free Member

Chinese Chequers. Only just been introduced to this amazing pastime.

CaptJon
    Free Member
    Cougar

Settlers of Catan is the usual “gateway drug” introduction to modern games. You’ll need the 5-6 player expansion though.

Struggling to think of many quicker 6-player games; the more players, the longer it takes. Formula D might fit the bill, that’s a “the more the better” game and there’s a simple and an advanced variant of the rules.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Camel up

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pegasus-Spiele-PEG54541G-Camel-Board/dp/B00ICF0OZQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1422660948&sr=1-1&keywords=camel+up

Got this off the missus for christmas, took 10 minutes to figure out and then had some great fun over christmas with it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Sequence?

You can even make one yourself!

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Munchkin

disben

Played munchkin last weekend for first time – it was good!

Try 7 wonders – just played it several times with friends – one had never played and she won the first time this evening – game takes about 35 – 45 mins to play.

Dominion is another good game that is fairly easy to get the hang of – a game can take anywhere between 30 and 60 mins.

Another new one for cyclists – mine came from original kickstarter but now available on their website – is cycling party. Only played a couple of times but its a good game once you have prepared it (think 30 mins just to open the box) and then about 30 mins to understand the rules!!!

Cougar

Oh yeah, Dominion is a good shout. Good game, scales well, simple basic rules (all the varying mechanisms are in the cards which do different things) and doesn’t take too long to play.

Danny79
    Free Member

Not out yet and not actually a board game(it’s a card game) but exploding kittens looks like it will be good.

nickjb
    Free Member

Articulate is a good family game. Simple and doesn’t go on too long. 2 teams of 3 for 6 players

wassock73
    Free Member

7 wonders and camel up are both good suggestions.

For Sale is the one you want though.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001PQLNY0

TPTcruiser

Exploding Kittens is getting out of control! The mad stretch goals and YouTube concert of Exploding Kitten songs!

Carcassonne is a good game for ten years up.

njee20
    Free Member

Articulate is a good family game. Simple and doesn’t go on too long. 2 teams of 3 for 6 players

+1

lemonysam
    Free Member

Dungeon Fighter’s good with 6 – like darts with dice and the requirement to throw blindfoled, lefthanded under someone else’s leg.

Most games get too slow (for me) with 6, Settlers of Catan included – so prefer silly ones.

Smallworld’s just about OK with 6, though I think it’s best with 4 – you might need to buy an 6 player map, can’t remember.

Cosmic Encounter can play 6 with an expansion and is great.

edit: Carcasonne’s a good shout but the base game’s only designed for up to 5 I think.

edit2: How would Cash n’ Guns play with that crowd?

toby1

Cards against …

aged 12 to 68

oh, maybe not 😉

Cougar

Smallworld’s just about OK with 6, though I think it’s best with 4 – you might need to buy an 6 player map, can’t remember.

You do. The base game is 2-5, you need an add-on for the 6-player map.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Arkham Horror, can be a bit long Eldar Signs is essentialy the same game but with simpler mechanics (and no board).

Betrayal at house on the hill is also good.

Rampage would be great with kids, but it’s only 4 player.

If you like Munchkin, try gloom, it’s like happy families, but with dysentry.

Quirkle is kind of like a variation on dominos and connect4.

Pandemic is good, but like a computer game there’s a stratergy that once you’ve sussed it makes it easier to win (it’ll still takes 2-3 attempts to beat the game though), and it’s easy to spend half an hour planning the last 4 moves which could be boring if you’re not into strategic board games.

Mooly
    Free Member

King of Tokyo is a favourite of mine ad the Kids at the moment . Takes 20 mins max. Carcassone is great fun but as suggested you may need an extension kits to make it worth while for 6 people

Mooly
    Free Member

In fact Carcassone is probably the best one. It will appeal to everyone at al ages.If you are going to buy it try and get one with loads of the extensions as it will make the game last longer an more exciting.

lemonysam
    Free Member

King of Tokyo

Of course!

willard

Global War on Terror by TerrorBull Games – https://www.terrorbullgames.co.uk/games/war_on_terror_game.php

What other game comes with a “Evil” balaclava??

lemonysam
    Free Member

Global War on Terror by TerrorBull Games – https://www.terrorbullgames.co.uk/games/war_on_terror_game.php

What other game comes with a “Evil” balaclava??

Sadly I think it’s out of print.

legolam
    Free Member

Carcassone. I’ve lost days of my life to that game, and I hate board games!

simon_g

Fluxx is a cheap and simple card game, the best draw being that it’s so light on rules – you draw a card and you play a card. Rules and goals change according to what’s on the table so nothing to learn up front. Several variants of it (pirates, zombies, space, etc) too.

Bohnanza is also a card game – lots of different types of bean, you’re trying to grow the largest bean plants but you can only have a couple on the go at once. Lots of trading and negotiating between players to get what they want. Light on rules but quite a bit of depth.

Carcassonne is a good shout, tile-laying is really easy to figure out. Skip the rules around farmers for the first couple of games though, just score the castles, roads, etc. Inns & Cathedrals expansion gets you the bits for a 6th player.

Love 7 wonders and it’s my usual go-to for that many people. Bit heavier on the rules, etc but still very easy to pick up.

And of course, learn the game and figure out your rules explanation before you sit down to play.

[video]http://vimeo.com/92337137[/video]

Cougar

try gloom, it’s like happy families, but with dysentry.

Actual LOL at that, brilliant.

peajay

Had some good times with Rapidough!

vinnyeh

just a quick plug (not sure whether it’s allowed or not), a friend runs this…

Angry Imp Games, worth a browse

tall_martin

I suggest mine a million which has kept my family buisly arguing for 25 years.

Easy to learn, quick to explain the rules, Easy to help/ hinder/ annoy other players.

A bit of skill needed and a bit of luck.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/waddingtons-business-game

squirrelking
    Free Member

Fktionary?

Maybe have to send the 12yo off to the cinema for that one…

johndoh
    Free Member

Pictionary?

eskay

Well, typically I never got out to buy a new game for the evening so we fell back on a family favourite of ours ‘Pass The Pigs’.

Easy game, fun and even my dad can’t cock it up!!

johndoh
    Free Member

Pass The Pigs. Good call. Spent an entire skiing holiday playing that a few years ago.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Board games for 6 players’ is closed to new replies.